Roly Vs, Mec Vannin

Rog

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspect not even 2% and expect a complaint *might be forthcoming.

We could just add to the swear filter though I suppose :-)

Heh!

Now, now - I thought this was a MANX forum! And can you put the whole of the Manx dictionary through the swear filter?!

All you need is a Manx-speaking moderator (I know there are other Manx speakers read these forums, other than me)

It took me flippin ages to translate the first line!! I'd worked some of the rest of it out too, so I didn't mean to put the whole lot through a filter.

The complaint/filter reference was re: the first line.

No more Zephyr, it's very hard.

gyn eeacklyn

I thought that bit was an outstanding debt - I was nowhere near no teeth!!! LOL

(Admittedly though the nearest I could get was gyn eeck)

Oh well at least I tried:-)

Now, now - I thought this was a MANX forum! And can you put the whole of the Manx dictionary through the swear filter?!

All you need is a Manx-speaking moderator (I know there are other Manx speakers read these forums, other than me)

Nah xxxxxxx crack on, yessir.

If a Manx Speaker complains that something written in Manx is offensive, we'll have to take their word for it, and remove it though.

Personally, the only thing I lament about the demise of Manx as an everyday language is that it would be kind of cool to talk in it with Manxies and long-term residents in the office to exclusion of co-workers just off the boat.

gyn eeacklyn

I thought that bit was an outstanding debt - I was nowhere near no teeth!!! LOL

(Admittedly though the nearest I could get was gyn eeck)

Oh well at least I tried:-)

Zephyr's spelling can be a bit haphazard at times - I think he left the 'f' off off feeaklyn (unless it's some obscure lenition I've never heard of).

Zephyr seems to be off on one at the moment but, as I am sure you are aware, there are no real swear words in Manx - so no need to worry (unless you want to put 'keck' in your filter - but that would be a shame as it's a lovely Manx word!). I read all his posts (and all his poems in Manx on the Manxies forum) and there's no libel in them either. Just the odd rant.

I speak Manx.

If a Manx Speaker complains that something written in Manx is offensive, we'll have to take their word for it, and remove it though.

Gynsaggey y gealg ooilley.

Aisht, vod oo screeu liorrym m'oi

Bee keeayllagh Zephyr! Vel ou scooyrit?!

Ta ny ocklyn Keeaylttagh wooinney.

She! she red beg meshtit mish ec y traa t'ayn

Ogh sy voghrey b'eem kiart dy liooar. S'treisht lhiam!

all very offensive. please remove.

• 2 weeks later...
Mec Vannin also continues to do real work for the good of the Isle of Man, and Roly. What exactly do you do? Sitting at your PC in England, living in a Walter Mitty world doesn't count.

From a Douglas resident sitting at a PC in a world of his own... What have Mec Vannin done apart from 'report' a story?

What good 'real work' have they done or are they doing for the Isle of Man? (Anything in the last 10 years will do)

And why do Mec Vannin supporters have a problem with comments from off Island? (By the way, Rog is a son of Mann)

Douglas resident sums you up chum.

Not Manx though?

Rog? The most telling thing about Rog is that someone like you gives him credence.

Rog? Not Manx though.

If all you can do is give Ripsaw hassle...for...well...being Ripsaw, then you're not really doing yourself any favours.

With respect............who cares? Certainly not me.

Must confess I'm not a member of Mec Vannin but I do know Mark Kermode and he is a decent bloke, he certainly doesn't deserve the crap he gets here, from people who don't know anything about him.

Another thing I like about Mec Vannin is that it reminds all the comeovers and offsprings of comeovers that they aren't Manx and never will be in a million years. I truly hope it makes them feel uncomfortable on our island.

Rog claims to be Manx, he's not, anything you like to guess, he also lives in a dream world. Unless you really believe he sits in on the Israeli parliament. Tonto another Walter Mitty, claims that Manxman.com somehow wronged him. Dream on Tonto, go back to the Lone Ranger, you are just another comoever on the gravy train. You could even be a little failed Scottish lawyer; now flogging insurance.

Ripsaw? Who knows, who cares a comeover regardless.

Declan? he seems like a nice lad, born here. Maybe so but he's not Manx. etc. etc., are there any real Manx, concerned about their country contributing to this forum?

By the way Slim, Mr Westbrit, that doesn't include you.

Must overcome my inertia and join Mec Vannin, then I can really oppose you comeovers and westbrits.

Very Simple Question...

What good 'real work' have they done or are they doing for the Isle of Man? (Anything in the last 10 years will do)

And why do Mec Vannin supporters have a problem with comments from off Island?

Answer...

Douglas resident sums you up chum.

Not Manx though? Who knows, who cares a comeover regardless

English born, Manx resident, not that it makes a difference. Racist are you?

Any luck dragging up any good news about your heros yet? No rush, I'm not going anywhere :wub:

Edit:

he certainly doesn't deserve the crap he gets here, from people who don't know anything about him
Kettle, Pot, Black...

If all you can do is give Ripsaw hassle...for...well...being Ripsaw, then you're not really doing yourself any favours.

With respect............who cares? Certainly not me.

Must confess I'm not a member of Mec Vannin but I do know Mark Kermode and he is a decent bloke, he certainly doesn't deserve the crap he gets here, from people who don't know anything about him.

Another thing I like about Mec Vannin is that it reminds all the comeovers and offsprings of comeovers that they aren't Manx and never will be in a million years. I truly hope it makes them feel uncomfortable on our island.

Rog claims to be Manx, he's not, anything you like to guess, he also lives in a dream world. Unless you really believe he sits in on the Israeli parliament. Tonto another Walter Mitty, claims that Manxman.com somehow wronged him. Dream on Tonto, go back to the Lone Ranger, you are just another comoever on the gravy train. You could even be a little failed Scottish lawyer; now flogging insurance.

Ripsaw? Who knows, who cares a comeover regardless.

Declan? he seems like a nice lad, born here. Maybe so but he's not Manx. etc. etc., are there any real Manx, concerned about their country contributing to this forum?

By the way Slim, Mr Westbrit, that doesn't include you.

Must overcome my inertia and join Mec Vannin, then I can really oppose you comeovers and westbrits.

And the definition of "real" Manx? How pure? Suppose that your Grandmother, or your great Grandmother was Irish. Suppose both your Grandmothers were not Manx. This is fairly typical.

Look at any familiy tree back over time. Look at how strands join strands at every generation. You have no more idea of your history, beyond a few generations, than I do. You'd have to spend your whole life following every strand to find out who you are.

" Westbrit " ?? : I only ever previously heard that word used by the sort Irish people who used to try to impose their version of Irish on everyone else.

Archived