Pre-school Entitlement

NelliePea

Anyone who feels strongly about the lack of pre-school places offered by the Government can get in touch with MEYA (Manx Early Years Alliance)

We are campaigning to make it a parents choice of where they want to send their children to for their 'Government funded' pre-school sessions, whether it be a private or Government run establishment.

We want your views to take to the Government in the New Year.

contact Estelle at

esb@butterflies-iom.co.uk

As the places are only for a few hours, it wasn't practical to utilise the service and therefore left the children in the nursery, I would have liked the opportunity to get credits for the time that the government fund, agains the nursery cost.

As the places are only for a few hours, it wasn't practical to utilise the service and therefore left the children in the nursery, I would have liked the opportunity to get credits for the time that the government fund, agains the nursery cost.

HERE HERE, I live in the postcode that doesn't have one of these nurseries, but like Dodger it is not practical to put a child in nursery for a couple of hours, I would also like to see credits against nursery costs.

None of the council/corpy houses are in an area I'd chose to live, so I demand credits against my mortgage!

Not having access to the free service sucks (One of mine went, the other couldn't get in), but if they don't suit your personal circumstances, why should the rest of us pay you?

I have a preschooler. The government sent a leaflet to my sons playschool about this pre-school nonsense, a waste of time and effort. I told them exactly what I thought of their idea at the time, funnily enough they didnt write back to me. Stick it! Its a load of rubbish idea had by a muppet!

I have a preschooler. The government sent a leaflet to my sons playschool about this pre-school nonsense, a waste of time and effort. I told them exactly what I thought of their idea at the time, funnily enough they didnt write back to me. Stick it! Its a load of rubbish idea had by a muppet!

I don't understand...rant less!

Why is it a rubbish? Genuine question.

My youngest went to the nursery at the school he was starting. It gets them familiar with the school, the teachers and the children that will be in their class come September. It saved us a bit of money sending him there, maybe only £10 a day overall and the nursery he attended the rest of the time dropped them off and picked them up so there was no hassle for us at all.

I think it's a good idea, obviously if I lived outside the school catchment area I wouldn't be that happy.

I don't understand...rant less!

Why is it a rubbish? Genuine question.

My youngest went to the nursery at the school he was starting. It gets them familiar with the school, the teachers and the children that will be in their class come September. It saved us a bit of money sending him there, maybe only £10 a day overall and the nursery he attended the rest of the time dropped them off and picked them up so there was no hassle for us at all.

I think it's a good idea, obviously if I lived outside the school catchment area I wouldn't be that happy.

There is no pre school facility in the area where I live, however I was able to get my little fella into one quite near by and he loves it, the only sad thing is that they have said he won't be able to stay there come September (I would like him to stay there as it is a very good school) as he is not in the catchment area, so he will have to leave all his little buddies and start over again at our local school.

As the pre-school at most schools is only for a couple of hours it is difficult for parents who work to do the swap over between pre-school and nursery or other child minder. Luckily the nursery I have my daughter in have just started doing a pre-school drop-off so I am hoping that they will continue this next year when she starts pre-school :)

Anne Craine speaking at a recent conference:

'Today and tomorrow you will be looking at the importance of nurture in the development of children. I have to say that it concerns me greatly that we have a culture, driven by a booming economy, that encourages both parents out of the home in order to meet their needs, thus discharging the care of their young children to others.

'We are aware of the importance, particularly during the early years of a child`s life, of providing them with a “constant” presence in their lives. That may be their Mum, Dad, Granny or another “significant” person. If that is not possible then it is up to us to make sure that the care that is provided is of the highest standard achievable.

I think she is quite right. There is too much of the child care culture.

'Today and tomorrow you will be looking at the importance of nurture in the development of children. I have to say that it concerns me greatly that we have a culture, driven by a booming economy, that encourages both parents out of the home in order to meet their needs, thus discharging the care of their young children to others.

'We are aware of the importance, particularly during the early years of a child`s life, of providing them with a “constant” presence in their lives. That may be their Mum, Dad, Granny or another “significant” person. If that is not possible then it is up to us to make sure that the care that is provided is of the highest standard achievable.

What about paying the mortgage?! Both have to work to put a decent meal on the table! I worked it out if we had 3 one of us would have had to give up work as the childcare costs would have been higher than our lowest salery! Tax breaks are needed, they use them in the UK, we have a booming economy and need people to work, otherwise we will have to have more houses built and charter an extra fast craft to keep up with immigration!

What about paying the mortgage?! Both have to work to put a decent meal on the table! I worked it out if we had 3 one of us would have had to give up work as the childcare costs would have been higher than our lowest salery! Tax breaks are needed, they use them in the UK, we have a booming economy and need people to work, otherwise we will have to have more houses built and charter an extra fast craft to keep up with immigration!

This government needs to have a proper policy on Early Years and child care.They could look at Scandinavian and European systems.

Good child care is necessary if you want to retain women in the work force.

I suspect some MHKs think women should be at the kitchen sink.

Even Anne Craine seems to be thinking along those lines.

Those days are over.

I live in the UK where ALL children are entitled to 5 x 2.5 sessions a week.My daughter goes to her playschool every morning & loves it! I dont understand why a similar system wouldnt work on the island?

It probably would. But they don't like to follow the UK. It has to be done the 'Manx Way' which generally means 10 years after everybody else.

See also Equal Opportunities -Racial Discrimination -Disability Discrimination - Freedom of Information -Digital hearing aids -you name it....

Archived