Pre-school Entitlement

NelliePea

I was fortunate to live in a catchment area for my son to get a place into Marown preschool.

Yes the hours your child attends doesnt really make it a replacement for preschool childcare but the impact it has on prepairing your child for his/her first day at school is invaluable.

Thats surely why it was introduced? not to cut the childcare bills of working parents.

Agree with the above. Any saving on private childcare costs is incidental. It is the preperation for school life and the benefits to early years education.

At the moment we have a 'postcode lottery', whereby, those not living in 'catchment' areas are greatly disadvantaged. If they truly believe in the benefits of such a system, it should be available to all. The development of our youth should be a primary concern for Government. Certainly in times of relative prosperity.

Of course, it is nice to know that the majority of subsidised housing developments, such as Willaston, Pulrose and Anagh Coar, all fall within catchment areas for these facilities.

Of course, it is nice to know that the majority of subsidised housing developments, such as Willaston, Pulrose and Anagh Coar, all fall within catchment areas for these facilities.

To be fair, the schools and housing go together. Without the density of housing in those areas, the schools wouldn't be needed and so wouldn't be provided. The 2 go hand in hand. Smaller village schools, which then become surrounded by housing because people don't want to live in the middle of Douglas or next to corporation housing estates, simply aren't big enough to have nursery provisions. The Peel, St. Johns, Sulby and the Dhoon school have all had extensions to them in the last couple of years to accommodate more kids, would you rather a 3year old had the space for half a day or the 4-7/11year olds had classes of less than 30 pupils? The island does very well for new schools, extentions and the associated technology they get, laptops for 6year olds, CAD suits etc. Integrating 3 year olds probably isn't that high on the agenda, they get 10 days of half days when they start school, a well adjusted child should have no problem with that.

Of course, I would say that, mine got a place...

........would you rather a 3year old had the space for half a day or the 4-7/11year olds had classes of less than 30 pupils?........

Should we be in a position to have to make a choice like that? The point still stands, that if the DoE sees value in such pre-school provision, it should be avaiable to all, not just a select few, randomly chosen via a postcode lottery.

The point about schools and density of housing is mildy irrelevant. There are plenty of Primary schools with substantial catchment areas that do not offer the provision. There just seems no logic to which schools do, or do not, offer such a service.

What about paying the mortgage?! Both have to work to put a decent meal on the table! I worked it out if we had 3 one of us would have had to give up work as the childcare costs would have been higher than our lowest salery!

Don't have three kids then.

Should we be in a position to have to make a choice like that? The point still stands, that if the DoE sees value in such pre-school provision, it should be avaiable to all, not just a select few, randomly chosen via a postcode lottery.

The point about schools and density of housing is mildy irrelevant. There are plenty of Primary schools with substantial catchment areas that do not offer the provision. There just seems no logic to which schools do, or do not, offer such a service.

The DoE and the school in question make the choice ultimately but I wouldn't be happy if, in order to get the pre-school provision, the school decided to take classroom space away from the 4-7 year olds, therefore increasing the size of a teaching class, in order to provide 40 half day nursery spaces. So how do you suggest they make these spaces available? Schools have a yearly budget to spend on what they want or need, maybe you should get in touch with the schools that don't offer the nursery places and ask what they use the money for instead.

I think childcare responsibilities should fall primarily on parents during the preschool years. If employers want to entice parents to their companies by offering childcare benefits then fair enough but I don't think it should be within the remit of the Department of Education.

I agree with Anne Craine's position. Society and children would benefit from an environment where their parents have a higher level of involvement in their development during their early years.

I think childcare responsibilities should fall primarily on parents during the preschool years. If employers want to entice parents to their companies by offering childcare benefits then fair enough but I don't think it should be within the remit of the Department of Education.

I agree with Anne Craine's position. Society and children would benefit from an environment where their parents have a higher level of involvement in their development during their early years.

Then give me my subsidised housing and I will give up work! The government will either have to help with pre-school and nursery costs or more subsidised housing. I would be able to stay at home if I was only paying around £250 per month! What government help is there for parents to have paid time off in the first 5 years, paternal leave is unpaid on the island! If the government wants to encourage us to stay at home with the children then it needs to be available to both parents!

Then give me my subsidised housing and I will give up work!

Do you qualify for subsidised housing? It's there for a reason, not so you can quit work and look after kids you can't afford.

Edit: That's a bit harsh I admit but the system is fair in so as everyone gets means tested the same and measured to the same bench mark. Anyway, back to pre-school places!

Then give me my subsidised housing and I will give up work!

Do you qualify for subsidised housing? It's there for a reason, not so you can quit work and look after kids you can't afford.

Edit: That's a bit harsh I admit but the system is fair in so as everyone gets means tested the same and measured to the same bench mark. Anyway, back to pre-school places!

Catch 22 if I didn't work we probably would! There isn't an exit clause either so once people start earning better money and can afford their own house, there is no means to encourage this - timeshare anyone.......

Back to pre-school - tax credits like they do in the UK would be a good idea! Lets see if they will bring it in for my children! :lol:

Surely the point of subsidising pre-school places is not to help parents with their childcare costs but to make sure that every child has the opportunity to go to nursery school to ease them into, and prepare them for, full time school? My daughter was in nursery school when the voucher system was introduced in England 10 or so years ago. Can't deny it wasn't welcome, but she would have gone to nursery whether or not we had vouchers, so I do agree with means testing. But then again, (unpopular as it may appear) I agree with means testing for most benefits; that way the benefit is targetted to those who really need it.

Surely the point of subsidising pre-school places is not to help parents with their childcare costs but to make sure that every child has the opportunity to go to nursery school to ease them into, and prepare them for, full time school? My daughter was in nursery school when the voucher system was introduced in England 10 or so years ago. Can't deny it wasn't welcome, but she would have gone to nursery whether or not we had vouchers, so I do agree with means testing. But then again, (unpopular as it may appear) I agree with means testing for most benefits; that way the benefit is targetted to those who really need it.

The problem it would be on gross income and not necessarily net income. I could also mean that those on benefits wouldn't see any point in getting employment as they would loose entitlement - Means testing should be a seperate topic though!

I would echo some of the sentiments expressed here, in particular the point that a child's education is essentially the role of the parents. As a society in general, we are all guilty of looking to the government for solutions all to often. They cannot be expected to find a perfect fit to suit everyone especially as one does not exist. Besides, I don't understand why people are so keen to begin molding their kids into “mini-adults” so soon, sad enough that it has to happen later on once the start school. Is it any wonder that the number of “problem kids” and the associated issues are on the increase.....off topic I know !

Tarroo

The problem it would be on gross income and not necessarily net income. I could also mean that those on benefits wouldn't see any point in getting employment as they would loose entitlement - Means testing should be a seperate topic though!

Not necessarily, the Government can decide on what income it will means test; gross or disposable or somewhere between the two. That is what Governments do, make the rules.

Archived