[BBC News] Rare lampreys found in Manx water

Newsbot

Apparently smoked conger eel used to be sold at the farmers mart years ago

It would keep for ages and be used to add a bit of flavour to stews

The bloke who lived in the old stone tholtan on Garwick beach used to catch & smoke them

Oh no, don't let the kids know it's eel season, - they'll be smoking eels instead of heading into the hills & picking mushrooms :)

Aren't lampreys rather a different species to eels, or their offspring elvers that are commonly jellied???

Elvers are juvenile eels which fetch an absoloute fortune

They are caught in rivers when returning from the Sargasso sea

They are almost transparent and about 3 inches long and you would expect to pay about thirty quid for a little deep fried nest of them in a top restaurant

Of course being transparent makes them difficult to spot and even harder to catch

Pretty sure that jellying of eels is not age discriminatory, and that they are not restricted to elvers. Judging by the size (from 1 inch to 2 inches max in diameter) they are probably mature eels.

From your description CB, elvers are possibly no more tasty than whitebait; bit of culinary Emporer's new suit there surely?

Parsley Liquor

25 Gram Butter (1 oz)

25 Gram Plain flour (1 oz)

300 ml Water (10 fl oz)

4 Tablespoon Chopped fresh parsley

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 Teaspoon Malt vinegar, optional

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.

Gradually add the water or stock. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Add the parsley and seasoning and vinegar if using.

Consume with pie and mash whilst singing Knees up Muvver Brown or Ullo John gotta new motor? (www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU6rfxwr4SA)

Just typical innit that at 1st there was a couple of postings on the vulnerability of the eels then all the rest about how the postees could feed their faces!!

Human nature at its best....never happier than when full & bloated. :angry:

There was one post about the vulnerability of the eels. Just because a thread didn't follow the way you wanted there's no need to throw a hissy fit. It's not as if anyone has actually advocated going out and catching them and I'm sure if someone had several posters on this thread would have told them what a silly idea it was. Chill out, it's not that bad!

Think you'll find that was Edward II (1284 – 1327):

The terrible Death of King Edward II. There were many rumors about how King Edward II died elaborated in a history by Sir Thomas More:

"On the night of October 11 (1327 AD) while lying in on a bed (the king) was suddenly seized and, while a great mattress... weighed him down and suffocated him, a plumber's iron, heated intensely hot, was introduced through a tube into his secret parts (into his anus) so that it burned the inner portions beyond the intestines.". This description has been embellished even further and the instrument of death is often referred to as a "Red Hot Poker"

Think you'll find that was Edward II (1284 – 1327):

The terrible Death of King Edward II. There were many rumors about how King Edward II died elaborated in a history by Sir Thomas More:

"On the night of October 11 (1327 AD) while lying in on a bed (the king) was suddenly seized and, while a great mattress... weighed him down and suffocated him, a plumber's iron, heated intensely hot, was introduced through a tube into his secret parts (into his anus) so that it burned the inner portions beyond the intestines.". This description has been embellished even further and the instrument of death is often referred to as a "Red Hot Poker"

Bugger that, kill me with a surfeit of lampreys anyday

Question to Gladys - these little beasties are well up the food chain we'd be eating a carnivore which eats a carnivores/insectivore - fancy them jellied! ;)

They ain't pretty that's for sure. See my reply under Heather Mills etc. Different rules for things under the sea because they consume stuff which isn't available on land. Look China, when I have a completely unfounded theory don't try to dissuade me with facts. (I do believe, though, there is a grain of truth in it).

Archived