Mannarena 29th November

bazzar_iom

whats all this?

This event has been running off and on for a number of years now, where a group of like minded gamers get together and have some laughs shooting the sh*t out of each other. Recently we have been sticking to a couple of trusty games that every one has i.e Call of Duty 2, Soldier of Fortune 2 and Counterstrike.

As MBX has pointed out, we will probably be trying out Unreal tournament 3, Soldier of Fortune Payback (SOF3), and Call of Duty 4.

the lan night starts at 7pm until about 11

it is held in the village hall in Port sodderick village

if you head out the old castletown road, turn off at the White Hoe (Auto electric /dive shop) towards port sodderick ,

rather than turning off to port sodderick head on up the hill (Oaklands hill?)

the hall is situated on the right hand side it is basically a large green hut.

dont forget if you want to bring your machine you will need headphones and a four gang extension lead, as sockets are a bit limited

Cheers

baz

As MBX has pointed out, we will probably be trying out Unreal tournament 3, Soldier of Fortune Payback (SOF3), and Call of Duty 4.

Been a long time (2003?) since I went to one of these things, but damn those are the three worst games to play at a LAN :)

UT3 in particular is just.. terrible. I might start a separate thread on just how terrible it is. SOF3 is a cash in, not written by the SOF2 chaps and looks and plays... terrible. COD4 is about the best of the three, but that's not a big claim. It looks pretty, fantastically so in places, but multiplayer it's a visual mess. I've never really got on with the COD games though, so I'm prepared to be argued down on that.

UT3 really does suck shit through a straw though.

Been a long time (2003?) since I went to one of these things, but damn those are the three worst games to play at a LAN :)

UT3 in particular is just.. terrible. I might start a separate thread on just how terrible it is. SOF3 is a cash in, not written by the SOF2 chaps and looks and plays... terrible. COD4 is about the best of the three, but that's not a big claim. It looks pretty, fantastically so in places, but multiplayer it's a visual mess. I've never really got on with the COD games though, so I'm prepared to be argued down on that.

UT3 really does suck shit through a straw though.

We havent had a lan night since these games were released, and hopefully will not turn out as bad as you make them sound. I am going to be dissappointed by the looks of things, i have installed cod4 and ut3 but not had a chance to play them properly as yet. After three consectutive system crashes trying to have a quick bash on UT3 i gave up as a bad job. I did actually manage to have about 30 mins of stable game play after a defrag. I fear the unreal torment of unstability is back, i personally haven never had much luck with the unreal series

We have had very good success with the Call of duty 2 using the hill top map, which is nice and small ideal for a 5-9 player deathmatch. I was hoping that COD4 was going to be off similar calibre, but we will see.

baz

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking you guys. I think you've done a great job keeping the whole thing going for as long as you have done. I just see anything about UT3 and I'm compelled to mention how bloody awful it is.

It's true that games developers/publishers these days just want to give us eye candy that'll make us buy faster better machines with little or no gameplay built-in.

This is why we're playing games that are a couple of years old.

They play brilliantly on relatively decent machines, and are addictive to the end.

As Bazz said, we've not had a chance to LAN any of these new games, but appreciate the heads up Ans.

I must admit I've played a lot of COD4 on t'interweb and think it's great. My CS:S time is suffering as a consequence.

Let's see what happens on Thursday.

Archived