New Contender For Worst World Leader

Pragmatopian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7112424.stm

Just when you think he can't get any more childish and petulant, he does. As a staunch opponent of George W, I wish I could like Chavez, but his clear ignorance prevents it. It's clearly possible for a working class hero to rise up and lead his nation. Unfortunately the 'working class hero' is more often the biggest bully in the playground who threatens his way to the top, appealing to the basest instincts of his bretheren and swiftly dispensing with the democratic processes that put him there.

appealing to the basest instincts of his bretheren and swiftly dispensing with the democratic processes that put him there.

Blair................Brown - across..............Brown here?

On a broader level, it shows that postions frequently fail to tally with ability.

Not sure why you think this shows story Chavev to be "childish and petulant".

the biggest bully in the playground who threatens his way to the top, appealing to the basest instincts of his bretheren and swiftly dispensing with the democratic processes that put him there.

Also, who has he bullied?

Tarroo

Given the US history in the area, I'm surprised they aren't doing more there to try and influence events in Columbia like they used too.

Colombia. Chavez was working as a mediator between the Colombian Government and the Farc rebels. The Colombian President decided to sack Chavez as Chief Negotiator so in response, Chavez broke off ties with Colombia. It is rather petulant behaviour.

Its a bit more than that - he was going over the head of the Columbian president - doing things he'd agreed not to do. In a civil war situation that's reckless.

I don't know - its a shame that an effort to free hostages seems to have come to naught. Even worse Chavez has used it to grandstand, but that sort of goes with the territory where Chavez is concerned. And now he's cutting off relations with Columbia (and Spain?) out of peeque.

Venezuela has huge oil wealth - at $100 per barrel it will be making money hand over barrel! But the indications are Chavez is squandaring that wealth for dogmatic, ideological reasons - if you ask me he wrecked the hostage negotiations for the same reason.

I think it is unclear if he's got a democratic mandate - he may well have one, but he's buying it with populist policies which just aren't sustainable. That's sad - Venezuela is dirt poor and needs to develop its economy away from its over reliance on oil which doesn't provide jobs and the basics of an economy. He's not doing it.

He's not Mugabe, but he's not that different from Castro - mix populism, authoritarianism with economic madness and what do you get? Chavez seems to be trying to find out.

appealing to the basest instincts of his bretheren and swiftly dispensing with the democratic processes that put him there.

Blair................Brown - across..............Brown here?

On a broader level, it shows that postions frequently fail to tally with ability.

I think it is stretching it a bit to put the three Bs in the same boat as Chavez.

Ah but I like to try. It's only in degrees maybe.

Countries rarely get the leaders they deserve or perhaps they do if you take a karmic position.

Chavez is a hero. In the present day he's one of only a few South American leaders willing to stand up to the imperialistic tendencies of the United States. He's not perfect but he's done a great deal more than previous Venezualan presidents to redistribute the wealth among the people of Venezuala rather than among a select few like previously happened.

Temporal anomalies - tricky.

the president simply wants to be in a different time zone from his arch-rival, the United States.

So can we expect him to try and shift Venezuela into a different dimension next?

Archived