Question About The Bloody Ridiculous Quay Traffic Control

Ushtey

I'm sure the whole quay traffic [lack of] planning has been debated ad infinitum on here, so I'm not trying to start that over again. I've just got one question:

Travelling from South Quay heading towards Lord Street, the road forces me to head towards Tesco and perform a u-turn at the mini roundabout by the entrance to the Bus depot. However I've noticed several large vehicles simply turning right at the bottom of Bank Hill (outside the railway station) instead of trying to get around the roundabout. As there aren't any traffic signs there (specifically any "No right turn", traffic flow directions or "One way" signs), just a raised area in the road, do you think this is a legal manoeuvre?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just wait for the traffic lights :P

by the way, do any of the properties on the top end of North Quay ever get deliveries by truck ?, do they expect trucks to have to go around the houses and come down station hill taking up both lanes and turn sharp left and block the road whilst they unload ? it's just a total mess around there now :(

There is a conspiracy theory here.

Spoke to a guy working at a well-known North Quay outdoor goods business a few months ago and he reckons that the plan - unofficially of course - is to have the North Quay as an architects wet dream (my phrase, not his) consisting of the ubiquitous luxury flats along with pavement cafes/bars. His kind of shop doesn't fit into the planners continental vision of Utopia..

The ultra slow pace of work on the Quay could be seen as a deliberate attempt to force out existing businesses.

One thing is for certain. All the disruption is a complete News - sorry, nuisance. :pinch:

you are kidding right? :huh:

It could take a hideous amount of time to be freed from Lake Road

I'm guessing you never shopped in Tesco Mr McCann?!

It's been said many times, but who the f**k decided that was a good place for a Supermarket? :wacko:

It's been said many times, but who the f**k decided that was a good place for a Supermarket? :wacko:

Agreed; it was total idiocy. It quite simply defies belief...I actually can't think of any benefits having a Tesco there brings. Free parking near to Douglas town centre...maybe??

The solution is very simple, and that is to allow right turn by Clinches. Those vehicles going around the roundabout to get to Lord Street prevent the traffic going to Tesco and the big, private car park from flowing freely. They then get backed up, often clogging the end of Athol Street and beyond.

There is a similar problem at the other end of North Quay. The DOT have made that end one way which means anyone coming across the new bridge or along the prom who wants to go into the pay and display is forced along Lord Street, putting additional, unnecessary pressure on the lower Douglas round about.

I agree the solution is simple.

However, it is not traffic lights, or simply allowing a right turn.

Yes, you guessed it - we need a roundabout to replace the 'road furniture' at the bottom of Bank Hill. My idea is in the post to the DoT as we speak.

Bet I win.

I really really want to meet whoever designed this scheme, because it is quite simply the most brilliant means of making people seriously consider other forms of transport in Douglas, or to just trap those foolish enough to use a car.

If it weren't for the fact I have to collect my daughter from nursery in Douglas and take her to school in Onchan each lunchtime, the traffic chaos would have driven me onto the bus long before now.

They say there is a fine line between madness and genius, I think this proves it.

Archived