Question About The Bloody Ridiculous Quay Traffic Control

Ushtey

i could be wrong, but i thought the overall plan was to force traffic one-way down south quay and over the 'new' bridge. whilst the inner harbour will eventually become one-way from the old bus station twards tesco. and then eventually only for goods and associated vehicles. meanwhile station hill will become one-way in the other direction to what it is now.

under these circumstance, the big concern is, what happens to traffic trying to get into douglas when the bridge is open

and how will they make peel road one-way out of douglas [also part of the grand plan]

probably not very well described :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Travelling from South Quay heading towards Lord Street, the road forces me to head towards Tesco and perform a u-turn at the mini roundabout by the entrance to the Bus depot. However I've noticed several large vehicles simply turning right at the bottom of Bank Hill (outside the railway station) instead of trying to get around the roundabout. As there aren't any traffic signs there (specifically any "No right turn", traffic flow directions or "One way" signs), just a raised area in the road, do you think this is a legal manoeuvre?

I think you need an eye test, Mr Babb - traffic directions don't come much bigger than this :)

Quay01.jpg

Remember: If there is one thing the DoT can never ever ever allow to happen, then it's for motorists to use their own brains and make decisions. According to the Transport Bible, 2 Bruce 3:9-10, drivers are stupid, zombie-like creatures that must be told what to do with a sign at least every 20 meters - otherwise we'd all just stop and wouldn't know how to move from A to B. Before the revamp, there were over 100 traffic signs on the short strech of road from the Railway to the swing bridge - over 100! Each of them costs 60 quid according to this.

and they've put some bollards there after loads of people turned right and they noticed that the way it was first done was a cock-up:

Quay02.jpg

It's still a cock-up, though - people still turn right and them thingies have been hit a few times already, which means the DoT has created an additional hazard on that junction.

It's been said many times, but who the f**k decided that was a good place for a Supermarket? :wacko:

The Co-op, actually.

wasn't there a whisper that Tesco had sold Lake Road to 'Dan the man' and were going to build a new store on Cooil Road (or was that just a figment of the imagination ?)

I think that theory has been around for quite a while but no idea if it's likely to happen. Wouldn't be a bad thing though I don't think.

Be nice if they moved a few businesses out of town centre & up there too as it'd ease a bit of the congestion & parking issues.

you are kidding right? :huh:

It could take a hideous amount of time to be freed from Lake RoadI'm guessing you never shopped in Tesco Mr McCann?!

It's been said many times, but who the f**k decided that was a good place for a Supermarket? :wacko:

The amount of time you dither about while getting your shopping, combined with the traffic lights must mean you are away for 4 hours :P

I have heard all the fields opposite Ballavargher, past B&Q and up to Robinsons depots and right the way back to the valley that is parallel with the bottom of Richmond Hill is the area Robinsons want to turn into a retail park.

Looking at the land when coming to the top of richmond from the south... it is one huge piece of greenfield land that I think needs protecting.

This will certainly drive businesses out of the town centre, I think it shouldn't be encouraged. re-development of the existing town should be looked at first.

The assumption seems to be that the DOT spend it's enormous budget in order to benefit the motorist and have simply made a bit of cock-up with the area around the harbour

Nothing could be further from the truth, the DOT's mission is to spend more this year than it did last year and in that respect it is a roaring success

A five year old child could design a more efficient traffic system than the obstacle course currently holding up traffic into Douglas

Armadeus is correct in his analasys that getting rid of all traffic lights & roundabouts would allow the drivers to think for themselves and put paid to congestion. I have seen this kind of non-system in operation and I can report that it works very well, for the motorist

From the point of view of the DOT it would reduce them to a road maintenance unit and leave many of the suits at the Lemon Squeezer out on their ear

Which is why this will never happen

Two whinges about the quay traffic management:

1. The centre lane from Athol Street splits into two on Banks Hill and no one can move off from Athol Street because invariably the left lane down Banks Hill is held up waiting for traffic coming from Tesco's; and

2. In the left lane at the bottom of Banks Hill your view of traffic coming from Tesco's is obscured because you are lower than the right lane - put some big 4 X 4 there and you can see diddly squat.

the part of 'traffic management' that gets me is that if I see congestion ahead of me I take a different route and work out where there will be less traffic, the main mistake all the traffic schemes make is funnelling everything towards a bottleneck rather than providing different options to spread the traffic load, like shutting off the road from Kewaigue to the bottom of Richmond Hill and by narrowing roads by building out pavements so that two vehicles can't easily pass on what used to be bus 'clearways'.

What needs to be encouraged is enabling house-owners to create their own off street parking areas leaving the roads clear of parked cars, you know you have somewhere to park when you get home and you have the same number of cars parked but they are off the road rather than blocking it. That was my main criteria when choosing where I live now that it had an ample driveway and there wasn't a mess of parked cars on the road and up on pavements all over the place.

I have heard all the fields opposite Ballavargher, past B&Q and up to Robinsons depots and right the way back to the valley that is parallel with the bottom of Richmond Hill is the area Robinsons want to turn into a retail park.

Looking at the land when coming to the top of richmond from the south... it is one huge piece of greenfield land that I think needs protecting.

This will certainly drive businesses out of the town centre, I think it shouldn't be encouraged. re-development of the existing town should be looked at first.

Too late ,been long sold

1. The centre lane from Athol Street splits into two on Banks Hill and no one can move off from Athol Street because invariably the left lane down Banks Hill is held up waiting for traffic coming from Tesco's; and

2. In the left lane at the bottom of Banks Hill your view of traffic coming from Tesco's is obscured because you are lower than the right lane - put some big 4 X 4 there and you can see diddly squat.

That's why I said the traffic lights worked.

If you're stucj in a big queue trying to get out of Tesco then you have chosen to go shopping at the wrong time. Go when it is quieter.

The people stuck on Banks Hill/Athol Street are generally trying to get home. They have little choice but to be stuck in this queue. At least the lights allowed them to move a bit more freely

Archived