Question About The Bloody Ridiculous Quay Traffic Control

Ushtey

That's only an attempt at giving an example of this concept, though, and there are countless other ingredients that are worth exploring for local use. Have a read through their site and the material on it - I'm sure you will find some bits that would make sense on the island and improve things, while also making driving safer.

I did, and the first picture I was presented with was a rounderbout :)

I get the concept, but I'm not sure I believe it. It sounds great in principle, but I recon people just follow the path of least resistance, which is what most diversionary routes around douglas is about. I'm not arguing that the quay isn't a fuckup, it clearly is, but taking away things like the one way down railway hill is only going to make things worse when it's busy surely?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did, and the first picture I was presented with was a rounderbout :)

I get the concept, but I'm not sure I believe it. It sounds great in principle, but I recon people just follow the path of least resistance, which is what most diversionary routes around douglas is about. I'm not arguing that the quay isn't a fuckup, it clearly is, but taking away things like the one way down railway hill is only going to make things worse when it's busy surely?

It would obviously require a good portion of considerate and common sense planning to see where changes make sense. Best to send the whole DoT on an 8 week holiday and let them guys revamp things :ph34r:

You seriously expect kids to cross the road at the top of bray hill to school without traffic lights?

No, to use a pelican crossing. A school crossing monitor (or lollipop lady/man as they were known in my day) would probably be a good idea.

I can;t see how anything would be worse than the current idea of allowing opposing traffic to turn in the same direction as a filter lane from the opposite direction. There are no obvious warning signs to tell drivers that traffic from the opposite direction has the same right of way as you do, despite every other filter lane I've known with it's own green light, being a single use/direction solution.

No, to use a pelican crossing. A school crossing monitor (or lollipop lady/man as they were known in my day) would probably be a good idea.

They have lollipop men still for primary school kids, but not for high school, and they never have.

A pelican crossing would be traffic control still, where the advocasy here seems to be for none at all.

I can;t see how anything would be worse than the current idea of allowing opposing traffic to turn in the same direction as a filter lane from the opposite direction. There are no obvious warning signs to tell drivers that traffic from the opposite direction has the same right of way as you do, despite every other filter lane I've known with it's own green light, being a single use/direction solution.

A four way crossroads with no signals would definately be worse in my book.

They have lollipop men still for primary school kids, but not for high school, and they never have.

A pelican crossing would be traffic control still, where the advocasy here seems to be for none at all.

A four way crossroads with no signals would definately be worse in my book.

You are all missing the point of Bruce's Little House of Horrors, as the plot unfolds, as more and more of our roadstructure is a completely screwed up mess, as more and more pointless signs go up (count them from Ballacraine to the Airport junction, there areas far as I can make out, at least 12 changes of speed limit) the full horror will be, a drip at a time, revealed. CONGESTION CHARGING. But, first, you need congestion! Don't thing there is anymore to be said.

I'd love to see a Douglas traffic management plan. As far as I can tell, each junction seems to be considered on it's own merits, rather than as part of a metropolitan plan to ease traffic through the town.

There just doesn't seem to be consistency in the way changes are made, roundabouts in some areas, filter lanes in others, filter lanes set up in different ways in yet others. I really wouldn't mind various traffic calming measure if only they were consistent.

Then maybe we'd be able to admit that that majority of traffic really does go to and from Douglas in the mornings/evenings and start putting in place measures outside Douglas to try to ease things.

Archived