Why I'm Glad To Be Living On The Isle Of Man

ai_Droid

Took me nippers down to the lights on last night, Ridgeway street was closed to traffic, they had douglas down band down there and a santa and stuff. It was absolutely packed, whole street jammed full, countdown to the lights being turned on, then a flurry of 'snow' foam over the crowd as the lights went on. Kids loved it, it was simple but ace.

Wandered through town after that, wind orchestra, youth band and douglas down band playing in the street, people handing out sconnes with strawberries on and mince pies outside shops, met santa outside toymaster and me boy got a flashing mobile phone thing. Was a bit pre-occupied with diverting the young ones away from foul mouthed chavs wrapped up in their own little dramas (no but yer but no but yer, but theres this whole over fing right..), but there you go, it is a late night shopping tradition for the 14 year olds to hang around town and act like dicks. Probably did it myself!

Top stuff though, plenty of community spirit, stopped and chatted to a load of people I know, something you just don't do on a city high street.

I must admit its actually one of the things i miss about the island- going into town & being being stopped for a chat by every other person!

Though it's not like it used to be 20 years ago of course - the place seems ever more full of strangers these days - many of whom talk funny.

I must admit its actually one of the things i miss about the island- going into town & being being stopped for a chat by every other person!

Though it's not like it used to be 20 years ago of course - the place seems ever more full of strangers these days - many of whom talk funny.

perhaps your hearings failing with age

perhaps your hearings failing with age

Perhaps you're right - either that or I made a mistake buying my hearing aid from 'O'Rourke, Du Toit, Robertson, Smith and Grabowski Unlimited' instead of Maleys.

when I was a teenager if I went to town with my mum it took absolutley hours to get along Strand St, stopping every few yards for a chat, we could leave her and go into a shop for a look and when we came out she was still where she was !

things aint like they used to be :P

Top stuff though, plenty of community spirit, stopped and chatted to a load of people I know, something you just don't do on a city high street.

Maybe not but then Douglas isn't comparable to a "city high street". If you lived in a similar small town across, you'd get the same there

If you lived in a similar small town across, you'd get the same there

It really hurts me ( a native Englishman ) to say this but . . . It's just not like that in England these days. You might get a similar community in the far flung corners but mainstream county towns don't have anything like the community that the Isle of Man towns have.

. . . . . they had douglas down band down there and a santa and stuff.

Wandered through town after that, wind orchestra, youth band and douglas down band playing in the street,

It is Douglas Town Band!

They do plenty of work for the community throughout the year and have been serving the town of Douglas since 1887! (120th anniversary this year)

Archived