Why I'm Glad To Be Living On The Isle Of Man

ai_Droid

Morn All

In fairness it is not a bad old spot.

BUT once you have been around the place there really is not much more to see or do and thus becomes very claustrophobic and in all honesty having read and read the Steam Packet thread it seems everyone wants to get off the Island.

Well at least I enjoy a drink to while away the boredom.

He is over the last

If you lived in a similar small town across, you'd get the same there

It really hurts me ( a native Englishman ) to say this but . . . It's just not like that in England these days. You might get a similar community in the far flung corners but mainstream county towns don't have anything like the community that the Isle of Man towns have.

small towns in England - ie. similar size to Douglas not big county towns. Anywhere where somewhere is small enough that you would know a good percentage of people that you see in town. And for the sake of comparisons of "manx towns", there should really only be one Town - the others you would surely have to compare to villages away because of their size

small towns in England - ie. similar size to Douglas not big county towns. Anywhere where somewhere is small enough that you would know a good percentage of people that you see in town. And for the sake of comparisons of "manx towns", there should really only be one Town - the others you would surely have to compare to villages away because of their size

Thought provoking. When I was brought up 'accross' our local town had a population of about 5000. I don't remember it being as friendly as Douglas. The nearest large town then had a population of about 300,000 so it didn't compare. Other medium sized towns scattered accross the county could have been compared to Douglas. None of these places had, as I recall, a 'stop & chat' culture.

The thing about the Isle of Man is that local people are just really friendly. New residents / comeovers (call us what you will) pick up on that. Of course, the scale of the Island means you will see the same folk over and over again which helps. However, not all islands are likewise. Jersey, I gather, has several distinct communities and is nowhere near as friendly.

For whatever reason, the Isle of Man is a friendly place and I hope we keep it that way!

It really hurts me ( a native Englishman ) to say this but . . . It's just not like that in England these days. You might get a similar community in the far flung corners but mainstream county towns don't have anything like the community that the Isle of Man towns have.

Depends on where you are. Personally I found some areas of a big city, specifically the Clifton and Cotham areas of Bristol, to be more friendly, if anything, than the Isle of Man.

Well at least I enjoy a drink to while away the boredom.

Maybe you're putting the cart before the horse and actually it's your alcoholism that makes the island seem boring. Alcohol being a depressant and that..... ; )

No sorry to disappoint not an alcoholic (a drink - not plural) and most certainly not depressed, just giving an honest view concerning the lack of places to go see and do once you have seen them countless hundreds of times.

Keyborder perhaps you would like to start another thread to show exactly the differences between the British Isles and not being bored as opposed to staying on the Island and eventually getting bored. Do you ever go to the mainland or perhaps Ireland, so much more to see and do, hey even go abroad!

I do like the Island as I pointed out in my previous post (first line for those who are selective) but it does most definitely get claustrophobic hence the reference to the Steam Packet thread.

May I ask how do you fill your beloved time off while resident Island wise or are you retired or just tired, maybe you have succumbed to acceptance.

Be Lucky

He is over the last

I grew up in a "new town" in Scotland. In our street we all knew everyone, and even now when kids have grown up and moved out (including me), the parents still live in the same street, and know each other.

However, that doesn't mean they all live in each others pockets. Far from it. But you can be sure in the time of a crisis to affect the street, they would be there for each other.

I am glad the island has retained this community identity, but you may find so have the most unlikely areas of the U.K.

I moved to Jersey over 20 years ago now but originally from Scotland, When i was growing up in Scotland everyone knew each other and there was always that community feeling about the place, everyone looked out for each other. I think the problem in big towns is that other familys from different parts move in and before you know it that community feeling has gone. I think Jersey still has that community feeling at the moment, for how long who knows, I come over to the Isle of man, quite alot and must say it does seem a great place to live, very friendly people, the way it should be.

http://www.channelislandsforum.co.uk

banner_OCT07.gif

Archived