Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

No vested interest, apart from the fact I would like to see my tax money being used to promote something I would like. I am not a TT fan and a lot of my tax goes on running it, advertising it etc Where does all our road tax go, pick out the best roads.......

Aren't you a Peel commissioner? Doesn't that give you a vested interest in having a large event in Peel?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No vested interest, apart from the fact I would like to see my tax money being used to promote something I would like. I am not a TT fan and a lot of my tax goes on running it, advertising it etc Where does all our road tax go, pick out the best roads.......

Aren't you a Peel commissioner? Doesn't that give you a vested interest in having a large event in Peel?

Yes I am a commissioner, but, I am not on here as one - Disclaimer! These are my opinions only and I personally feel that we spend a lot of our taxes on motor sport and other attractions should get simular support from our government! Or am I not entitled to an opinion?!

Yes I am a commissioner, but, I am not on here as one - Disclaimer! These are my opinions only and I personally feel that we spend a lot of our taxes on motor sport and other attractions should get simular support from our government! Or am I not entitled to an opinion?!

Either way, you've got a vested interest in an event being staged in Peel, like it or not. You're entitled to an opinion, but don't claim it's without motives.

The concert was offered a lifeline on the condition it was held at the villa. A perfectly sensible suggestion in line with the festival it's running alongside. You've objected to this before, yet have now changed tack, but you're not fooling anyone.

These are my opinions only and I personally feel that we spend a lot of our taxes on motor sport and other attractions should get simular support from our government! Or am I not entitled to an opinion?!

Yes but there is one difference here in that most of the events supported are not events run by a commercial venture. PBF is with Irvine being seen as wanting Govt to pick up the loss while Street Heritage picks up any prifit going!. If PBF had been run by say the comissioners or a not for profit voluntary organisation then I think there might have been more support.

Having said that PBF need to decide what they want to be. Last year I think they were not sure. If they want to be a festival then that is what they need to be with a couple of stages going and plenty of bands on. They do not need to be household names. It can start smallish and low key and build up.

Or they can decide to be a series of one off big giggs as per last year. High risk and expensive but if you are going to go down that route you have to have bands etc with a huge name or demand for that will sell out most venues. The Who and Madness may have that but after that, whatever your choice of music, most of the other bands the demand for tickets could have been catered for by the Villa. If you are going to go to the expense of a 10,000 Marquee then you need to ensure that the demand for tickets is such that it outstrips other available venues.

Either way, you've got a vested interest in an event being staged in Peel, like it or not. You're entitled to an opinion, but don't claim it's without motives.

The concert was offered a lifeline on the condition it was held at the villa. A perfectly sensible suggestion in line with the festival it's running alongside. You've objected to this before, yet have now changed tack, but you're not fooling anyone.

Anyone living in Peel could be classified as having a vested interest as could any business that benefitted from the additional business it brought into the area!

The lifeline was use our building which the taxpayer subsidises by more than the amount of underwriting requested! Where would all the cars be parked? I see there are a lot of spaces available in the Town.......

These are my opinions only and I personally feel that we spend a lot of our taxes on motor sport and other attractions should get simular support from our government! Or am I not entitled to an opinion?!

Yes but there is one difference here in that most of the events supported are not events run by a commercial venture. PBF is with Irvine being seen as wanting Govt to pick up the loss while Street Heritage picks up any prifit going!. If PBF had been run by say the comissioners or a not for profit voluntary organisation then I think there might have been more support.

Having said that PBF need to decide what they want to be. Last year I think they were not sure. If they want to be a festival then that is what they need to be with a couple of stages going and plenty of bands on. They do not need to be household names. It can start smallish and low key and build up.

Or they can decide to be a series of one off big giggs as per last year. High risk and expensive but if you are going to go down that route you have to have bands etc with a huge name or demand for that will sell out most venues. The Who and Madness may have that but after that, whatever your choice of music, most of the other bands the demand for tickets could have been catered for by the Villa. If you are going to go to the expense of a 10,000 Marquee then you need to ensure that the demand for tickets is such that it outstrips other available venues.

I have to agree with you on the last bit, supply and demand, there was a greater expectation that the TT fans would turn up, that didn't work. The locals working missed out which is why it wouldn't be done during TT in the future, Boats and planes were also full as were the hotels and guesthouses, so there wasn't the availability for people to visit for a gig and then go back. I still feel that it could wipe its face with the lessons learnt by the organisers.

I have to agree with you on the last bit, supply and demand, there was a greater expectation that the TT fans would turn up, that didn't work. The locals working missed out which is why it wouldn't be done during TT in the future, Boats and planes were also full as were the hotels and guesthouses, so there wasn't the availability for people to visit for a gig and then go back. I still feel that it could wipe its face with the lessons learnt by the organisers.

That bit actually depresses me as it is not a case of just being wise after the event but all those points were made on a thread when the festival was first announced. The thread also gave a general thumbs up to somebody having a bit of initiative in doing such an event even if the bands were not what those some of us might have chosen. Especially if you were trying to entice the TT crowd! If I and many other could have forseen all those fairly obvious points you do doubt the acumen of those putting on the event and it can not have helped in persuading others put up cash or guarantees. Certainly if somebody approached me in business to invest and I could spot such obvious flaws it would not encourage me to invest.

I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong about traffic conjestsion and maybe if that had been less of a concern more might have gone.

There is a potential market there though for some sort of festival but I would go for alot more up and coming bands maybe with a headliner or two. Bands that will appeal to a younger festival audience as with the best will in the world Bonnie Tyler was not going to attract many additional to the gate and was probably fairly expensive. I have no idea what it goes to hire a band but for a festival generally 10 bands at 10K each would be money better spent than 1 at £100,000k.

Get it right and I can easily see 4 or 5 k turning up in the first year each day even if most are locals. I would also be more supportive of it having government backing if I saw some cohesive approach and understanding of the maket place. Bleating that the IoW can have a festival so why can not the IoM does not do the latter.

That bit actually depresses me as it is not a case of just being wise after the event but all those points were made on a thread when the festival was first announced. The thread also gave a general thumbs up to somebody having a bit of initiative in doing such an event even if the bands were not what those some of us might have chosen. Especially if you were trying to entice the TT crowd! If I and many other could have forseen all those fairly obvious points you do doubt the acumen of those putting on the event and it can not have helped in persuading others put up cash or guarantees. Certainly if somebody approached me in business to invest and I could spot such obvious flaws it would not encourage me to invest.

I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong about traffic conjestsion and maybe if that had been less of a concern more might have gone.

There is a potential market there though for some sort of festival but I would go for alot more up and coming bands maybe with a headliner or two. Bands that will appeal to a younger festival audience as with the best will in the world Bonnie Tyler was not going to attract many additional to the gate and was probably fairly expensive. I have no idea what it goes to hire a band but for a festival generally 10 bands at 10K each would be money better spent than 1 at £100,000k.

Get it right and I can easily see 4 or 5 k turning up in the first year each day even if most are locals. I would also be more supportive of it having government backing if I saw some cohesive approach and understanding of the maket place. Bleating that the IoW can have a festival so why can not the IoM does not do the latter.

This is why I hope that the request to have a 3 year business strategy will get support by our MHK's :D

I had no interest in any of the bands. I wasn't enough of a fan of any of the artists to spend a sober evening in a cold tent watching them.

It wasn't cold and who said anything about sober?! ;)

Maybe but it is back to it not being a festival which allows you to dip in and out of several stages. If there are ten or fifteen bands on over a day I would be inclined to go as hopefully I would find several pretty good, some I could take and leave and a few pretty dire according to my tastes. With last year you paid for the headline name and that was the basis of the decision wether or not to go.

I had no interest in any of the bands. I wasn't enough of a fan of any of the artists to spend a sober evening in a cold tent watching them.

It wasn't cold and who said anything about sober?! ;)

Maybe but it is back to it not being a festival which allows you to dip in and out of several stages. If there are ten or fifteen bands on over a day I would be inclined to go as hopefully I would find several pretty good, some I could take and leave and a few pretty dire according to my tastes. With last year you paid for the headline name and that was the basis of the decision wether or not to go.

Multiple bands on multiple stages, wouldn't this require a large venue? Even bigger than a 10,000 marque? These stages and bands will also cost more money wont they?

This is why I hope that the request to have a 3 year business strategy will get support by our MHK's :D

But reading their statement and in their interviews I have not heard anything that persuades me they have much more of a business plan than move it to a different time of the year, book some "big" names but otherwise basically the same as last year and it will work. This is shown in some of the names they have branded about such as Westlife, Girls Aloud are not festival bands

In my opinion they need to completely change their approach which is about numbers of bands and a smaller stage etc day if they want it to be a festival. Maybe get a headliner but you have to concentrate on getting the right feel first. And if it will not £250,000 maybe Peel Commisioners etc can back it as they have such confidence in it

[

Multiple bands on multiple stages, wouldn't this require a large venue? Even bigger than a 10,000 marque? These stages and bands will also cost more money wont they?

One decent stage and a smaller one. Why does it have to be indoors? Most festivals are held outdoors. Yes it will cost money but as I said before why get one band at £100,000 if you can get ten at £10,000 ot ! at £50,000k to headine and 5 supports at £10,000. If we are doing a festival the latter is generally better option

Where would all the cars be parked? I see there are a lot of spaces available in the Town.......

In the multi-story car park right next door? The advantage being you don't get charged a fiver on top of your 30 quid ticket for parking in a field.

Look, I enjoned some of the acts last year, Madness ruled, but if it lost 750k in the cenenery year, I wouldn't underwrite it, so why should the govt?

I'd love the government to fund free blow jobs for office workers on a friday too, but I'm not going to winge because they sensibly decline.

Archived