Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

Where does the leisure side come in? Why shouldn't my money be used to provide a on island festival, this enables me to save money by not having transport costs, hotel costs and food costs to consider.

I'm happy for 'your' money to be used to provide an on Island 'festival' and I'm happy that this saves 'you' money so you don't have to go away. Just don't use my money please.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are groupies that follow their bands around wherever they go! I hope that Tynwald does approve the need for the minister to discuss the three year plan and agree to underwrite the three years as necessary.

I would have gone to see at least two of the acts, still a lot cheaper than going off island with the price and reliability on the costa packet and fly maybe!

That wasn't the point though, the point was that in his plea for public support Mr Street Heritage suggested that if we have the Peel Festival, then people can stay on the Island to attend it instead of "having" to go away to other festivals, which really only makes sense if the event in peel is eqivalent to all of the others in the mind of the average festival goer, which simply isn't the case. People will still go to T in the Park, or whatever, even if they can watch Johnny Old and the Lame Tones and other hits from their mum's record collection play live in Peel: they're completely different events appealing to different people.

Where does the leisure side come in? Why shouldn't my money be used to provide a on island festival, this enables me to save money by not having transport costs, hotel costs and food costs to consider.

I'm happy for 'your' money to be used to provide an on Island 'festival' and I'm happy that this saves 'you' money so you don't have to go away. Just don't use my money please.

Why not my money is used to subsidise the TT, NSC and the Villa as well as others. I am not a TT fan, therefore give me my refund! NSC, I go 2-3 times a year, use local swimming pool when open! Villa, I can't remember the last time I went there - refund!

The government always use our money to do what they want! There are a lot of areas where they spend a lot more that the underwriting that has been asked for!

That wasn't the point though, the point was that in his plea for public support Mr Street Heritage suggested that if we have the Peel Festival, then people can stay on the Island to attend it instead of "having" to go away to other festivals, which really only makes sense if the event in peel is eqivalent to all of the others in the mind of the average festival goer, which simply isn't the case. People will still go to T in the Park, or whatever, even if they can watch Johnny Old and the Lame Tones and other hits from their mum's record collection play live in Peel: they're completely different events appealing to different people.

But Steve 'Harvey Goldsmith' Rodan's point was not so much that it provided an event for locals, but that it would encourage visitors. Well, which is it to be? If its draw is to save locals the travel costs, then you can't argue in the same breath that it will attract visitors.

It was great in Peel. Perhaps performers who love motorcyles would come over at a cheaper rate during TT?

Douglas has quite enough, don't be greedy.

PS not a learjet, a honda civic.

Envy mode over then. :D

It was great in Peel. Perhaps performers who love motorcyles would come over at a cheaper rate during TT?

Just sober now young cyclist.

reverse the scenario. If it was a government initiative to put on a series of concerts and were prepared to stump up the first £250,000 on the condition that Private investment contributed the balance of the costs and did all the donkey work most of us would be jumping up and down praising them for thinking of the locals for once and well done to whoever for risking their cash supporting it.

In real life Government don't have good ideas and initiatives for the locals. The festival lost money, it happens in a lot of new ventures but hopefully lessons are learnt through experience and over time as reputation increases so does income. Government do spend millions of our taxes on various harebrained schemes that hardly cause the raising of an eyebrow. just stop the moaning for a minute and really think about it, what benefit has government done for the island in years that has only cost less than £250,000? To put it in context didn't pulling down summerland cost us £4m? and what have we gained?

reverse the scenario. If it was a government initiative to put on a series of concerts and were prepared to stump up the first £250,000 on the condition that Private investment contributed the balance of the costs and did all the donkey work most of us would be jumping up and down praising them for thinking of the locals for once and well done to whoever for risking their cash supporting it.

In real life Government don't have good ideas and initiatives for the locals. The festival lost money, it happens in a lot of new ventures but hopefully lessons are learnt through experience and over time as reputation increases so does income. Government do spend millions of our taxes on various harebrained schemes that hardly cause the raising of an eyebrow. just stop the moaning for a minute and really think about it, what benefit has government done for the island in years that has only cost less than £250,000? To put it in context didn't pulling down summerland cost us £4m? and what have we gained?

My staff in Kendal have booked TT tickets expecting some top grade acts in Peel next June.

People who expected the same as 2007 will be really grumpy that it's not, all for the sake of a few bob.

Young, bloody young, I can't remember the last time I was called that! (You're near Kendal then, my parents have got a cottage in Sedgewick so I've holidayed there often!)

Young, bloody young, I can't remember the last time I was called that! (You're near Kendal then, my parents have got a cottage in Sedgewick so I've holidayed there often!)

Holiday cottages, that's the way forward for the IOM. Price out the chavs, just like Sedgewick.

Holiday cottages, that's the way forward for the IOM. Price out the chavs, just like Sedgewick.

(The walled garden,) I'm not sure I'm going to be drawn into this, it could be quite an emotive topic. :D

This is my point, its the same old manx attitude, the only bands we get over here are out of season, snow patrol excepted but shite anyway. Fun Lovin Crim's, as ace as it was the 1st time, were 2 years out of date. The Who, Madness, Robin Gibb, none of them relevant artists, Simply Red, Bryan Adams and Westlife, not just past the sell by date but rotten to the core. I'll say again, unless PBF find some balls from somewhere and book some proper acts they're not going to get support from locals, visitors or the govt.

My staff in Kendal have booked TT tickets expecting some top grade acts in Peel next June.

They were always going to be disappointed weren't they :rolleyes:

More shite on the radio today about this. Some dickhead winging on that it's the governments responsibility to make sure 'bands of that calibre' are brought over.

Anyone would think that no bands at all came over before the PBF existed, it's definately a case of selected memory.

Archived