Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

Just found this thread, and read up on the ins and outs of it. Here's my take.

Going on what we saw last year, and the kind of response it got from local people, i can't see it ever working in its current format. The promoter says that lessons have been learned, but clearly they have not.

Nobody is going to come to the Isle of Man to see The Who and also be interested in seeing Sugababes. And nobody is going to want to pay upwards of £30 a ticket to see EACH ACT. For all the banging on about expensive travel to the UK to see these artists, surely if you went to every night of the PBF you could have afforded a ticket to Glastonbury? So who is going to travel here - 4500 people? Not likely when you factor in their travel expenses TO the ferry, and then ON the ferry (as long as it is sailing that day). Not if they then have to come here and spend a fortune to see acts that they can see in their local town hall at least once a year.

And to all the people signing the petition (most likely non-tax paying kids as a majority - "do you want xxx to come to the Isle of Man" is always going to get a yes isn't it) maybe this will teach you a lesson. Next time someone DOES put an act on, maybe you should go an support it. Ok, most of the acts on the Isle of Man are not peoples first choice, but if they are not supported then there will NEVER be a 'first choice' coming over because it will be seen as financially unviable. The fact that there were so many freebies given away to the PBF says it all - you all had your chance and you blew it.

That's not to say that promoters can charge what they like and book dross like Bonnie Tyler and expect it to fill out, because it won't. But there are some great acts we've seen over here lately, in intimate settings, that could have done with a bit more support. Until people dip into their pockets and support what we've got, we'll never be able to finance anything bigger or better. And it might mean throwing some money at something you've never heard before.

Finally, there is a festival that COULD work on the Isle of Man. It involves a three day ticket, two stages and a load of up and coming bands who want to break. There would be manx bands, there would be some 'bigger' names who maybe have gone solo, or have fallen out of favour with the heavy rotation-mongers of Radio 2. And that could do with a government grant - why waste 250,000 on an event - why not sponsor 100,000 boat journeys to the Isle of Man for ticket holders, or discount the flights. Once the people are here, and the buzz is created, then the three year plan would end in big acts WANTING to play here. As others have said, start small-ish and put the money in the right spot. We are bang in the middle of the British Isles, we should be the easiest place for people to get to to see bands. We've got empty fields strecthing miles where we could stick a temporary venue, and we've got lots of locals who WOULD support such an event, purely for the piss up and the chance to shag someone who their not related to.

The Peel Bay Festival is none of those things, it is an ego trip by an increasingly desperate looking promoter who only idea seems to be 'get the government to pay'. Private enterprise tried his plan, and it failed. This is not Mao's China, and it is not the job of government to prop up bad business.

Surely the last word on the subject? Absolutely spot on.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Next time someone DOES put an act on, maybe you should go an support it. Ok, most of the acts on the Isle of Man are not peoples first choice, but if they are not supported then there will NEVER be a 'first choice' coming over because it will be seen as financially unviable. The fact that there were so many freebies given away to the PBF says it all - you all had your chance and you blew it.

That's not to say that promoters can charge what they like and book dross like Bonnie Tyler and expect it to fill out, because it won't. But there are some great acts we've seen over here lately, in intimate settings, that could have done with a bit more support. Until people dip into their pockets and support what we've got, we'll never be able to finance anything bigger or better. And it might mean throwing some money at something you've never heard before.

I agree with most of what you've said, but that passage doesn't make much sense. If Madness or the Sugababes enjoy sell out concerts on the Island, it's hardly going to make, say, Nine Inch Nails or Bloc Party come over - different genres correspond to different markets.

Power station? When did Peel get on the leccy?

Next thing you know they'll have running water and the children will have shoes.

OI I take offence at that! I am a relitive Peel newcomer, as I come from Onchan, but I would like to point out that Peel is the place to be! It has expanded by 13.1% in the 5 years 2001 - 2006 according to the census! Come on over the water is lovely and you can't tell me you don't pop down for an ice cream! :cool:

It has expanded by 13.1% in the 5 years 2001 - 2006 according to the census!

Given the morals of your residents of child bearing age, I'm surprised this number is so low.

The most severely mutated of offspring in Peel are forced to live in attic spaces and in the sewer system, so they're not counted in the census.

Next thing you know they'll have running water and the children will have shoes.

OI I take offence at that! I am a relitive Peel newcomer, as I come from Onchan, but I would like to point out that Peel is the place to be! It has expanded by 13.1% in the 5 years 2001 - 2006 according to the census! Come on over the water is lovely and you can't tell me you don't pop down for an ice cream! :cool:

Me and the lady had a lovely lunch at Harbour Lights in Peel a couple of Saturdays ago. However, a quick browse around the deserted town centre on a Saturday afternoon suggests that most Peel residents - for work and pleasure - tend to turn left out of Ballawattleworth and head for Douglas.

Shame really.

When the Peel power station was first built it was featured on Tomorrow's World (late 70's I guess) as it used the cooling water to heat nearby commissioners houses. Not so backward then?

I read the full page ad trying to gain support for the PBF in the Courier tonight. Anyone who was borderline in their support will read that and think the government are right. It has to be the most rubbish series of arguments ever presented to try to gain public support.

I think the PBF is a great idea, but having read that I really wonder what your message is.

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=12921

wasn't manx radio a partner in this project - they should think about who pays their very large annual deficit before drawing too much attention to this fiasco

Do you mean MR's losses are underwritten?

They always have been! But no they were not a partner in the music festival as far as I am aware.

The future of a music festival seems to have died, at least until the next election as the present minister and chief minister seem to feel that it isn't worth supporting, the amount of other things they do support that are annually loss making, this would have been a drop in the ocean! They keep on looking at the amount of tourists coming over, though the minister seems to forget that this is a leisure item for the people who live on the island and it also keeps our money on the island, rather than our travelling across to the UK or Ireland to watch an act! :(

The future of a music festival seems to have died, at least until the next election as the present minister and chief minister seem to feel that it isn't worth supporting, the amount of other things they do support that are annually loss making, this would have been a drop in the ocean! They keep on looking at the amount of tourists coming over, though the minister seems to forget that this is a leisure item for the people who live on the island and it also keeps our money on the island, rather than our travelling across to the UK or Ireland to watch an act! :(

Dodger, do you repeat the same shit over and over again in commissioner meetings when everyone disagrees with you?

You're wrong, people here have taken a lot of time to demonstrate that you're wrong. Can't you see beyond your nose for once and take some of that in?

Archived