Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

No they didn't, the organiser covered all costs, they were not prepared to do it for 2008 though.

It's a long way to Peel..........but people travel from Douglas to the airport and then fly to the UK to see a gig?!

It is only an underwriting that is being requested, it may not be needed if they get the attendance.......

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this not a venture by Street Heritage to make money ?

If they get an underwrite from the gov , what happens if the sell out every night and make loads of dosh ??? do they then give it back to the gov?

seems fair to me :lol:

To underwrite means that no cash changes hands unless there is a problem. All they have asked for is for the gov to cover the cost of a potential shortfall in revenue if things go wrong. If the event covers costs then no money changes hands at all.

Its a big risk for the promoter, and to be fair, the promoter is relying on the ability of the DTL to get sufficient visitors over here in order to buy tickets and if I was relying on that ability I'd want it underwritten too!

Thats my point , we the taxpayers are being asked to make sure Street Heritage don't loose any money , but if Street Heritage make a good sized wedge the the tax payer gets nowt !!

I wish i could go through life with a gov underwrite ...

I think Street Heritage have got a fucking nerve.

I agree with Sideways, why should the Govt underwite this??

Street Heritage should put their bollocks on the line like any other hard-working small Manx business/sole trader has to, if they want this to succeed.

To underwrite means that no cash changes hands unless there is a problem. All they have asked for is for the gov to cover the cost of a potential shortfall in revenue if things go wrong. If the event covers costs then no money changes hands at all.

Its a big risk for the promoter, and to be fair, the promoter is relying on the ability of the DTL to get sufficient visitors over here in order to buy tickets and if I was relying on that ability I'd want it underwritten too!

My brother has been a music festival organiser in the Norfolk area for years and they get fuck all financial help. Some festivals have failed, to the tune of a £50,000 loss at some. It's a risk. You just have to weigh up that risk like any other business and see if you think it's viable.

Street Heritage are property developers first and foremost - it's what they do. If they have made a bit of cash from property development and want to invest and organise a music festival then they have to take the risk with that money. Not "we'll organise it but if we make a loss it's okay cos the taxpayer will bail us out, if we make a profit happy days, Bahamas here we come." I'd rather do without the event, if that's the case.

No they didn't, the organiser covered all costs, they were not prepared to do it for 2008 though.

It's a long way to Peel..........but people travel from Douglas to the airport and then fly to the UK to see a gig?!

It is only an underwriting that is being requested, it may not be needed if they get the attendance.......

Admittedly, I'm in Port Erin but it is less hassle for me to go to a gig in London than it is to get to Peel.

Bus to Airport --> plane --> DLR and tube to hotel --> tube to gig --> and the same in reverse.

vs

Bus to Douglas --> Bus to Peel --> walk to gig --> somehow get back to Douglas --> stand around in Douglas, trying to dodge the drunks trying to find a taxi prepared to go South in TT Week

Not that I wouldn't do the second if there was something special on.

Daft question, but do most TT visitors actually give a toss about watching bands when they're over seeing as the best that could be attracted over here by the looks of things do fairly large scale tours anyway and would play in venues that are closer to where most visitors live at different times of the year and they don't have to budget for an extra £xx a ticket (+transport) to go see someone while they are here? I would have though that most TT visitors are here for the bikes, the races and the heritage of the TT itself. OK there will be a %age of people that might have their interest tweaked by getting the chance to see the top quality acts that we get over here (Bonnie Tyler had to be for the Germans, that's the only country she still sells anthing in!) but going back to the previously mentioned gigs during "fantasy fortnight" most of the people I saw at the ones i attended were locals anyway. Before anyone says anything I didn't go to any of the gigs this year, mainly because there wasn't anyone I wanted to see when the cost of the ticket was taken into account.

All they have asked for is for the gov to cover the cost of a potential shortfall in revenue if things go wrong.

The Government dont have any money ! Its the taxpayers money ! Do you seriously expect the Manx taxpayer to bail out a commercial venture organized by property developers that wont stand a loss ?

Why the f*ck should taxpayers shell out to give a safety net to a private investor, early post was right someone has dropped this story on press in the hope of gaining public support - do they think we're thick. If Street Heritage want to run a festival then let them get on with it. Although I don't agree with the everything in Douglas approach if Gov't money was to go into this sort of event then it should go to Ramsey and Castletown as well.

Admittedly, I'm in Port Erin but it is less hassle for me to go to a gig in London than it is to get to Peel.

Bus to Airport --> plane --> DLR and tube to hotel --> tube to gig --> and the same in reverse.

vs

Bus to Douglas --> Bus to Peel --> walk to gig --> somehow get back to Douglas --> stand around in Douglas, trying to dodge the drunks trying to find a taxi prepared to go South in TT Week

Why don't you get a taxi from Peel to Port Erin? - they do have them you know. You could also get a bus from Port Erin to Peel thus eliminating the need to go to Douglas at all - sorted!

vs

Why don't you get a taxi from Peel to Port Erin? - they do have them you know.

Cost of taxi versus cost of plane?, hotel? Meals? Even if you go for VIP tickets with the Music festival, it won't cost anywhere near what you would have to pay to see simular acts in the UK or Ireland.

The Department of Tourism and Leisure, isn't this a leisure activity? Do we want top names coming to the island or not?!

Archived