Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspect that the story was given to the press by Street Heritage in order to apply some pressure to the government. I don't see why the government should underwrite it either, surely you can get insurance for these sort of events.

Hardly.

Sebrof

Why not have artists displays, theatre, music and the rest and use the 'freedom to flourish' motto to promote freedom of expression.

For these things to work they have to start small and emerge organically from a flourishing culture. Then with the vision and enthusiasm of, normally, a few people these things slowly develop and grow over many years. Like Yn Chruinnaght (or Glastonbury, or Brighton, or the Fringe or the Hay literary festival).

A cultural festival has to have real roots. PBF was billed as a festival - but the IOM doesn't have a festival culture and the event had no roots. It was in reality just a series of loss making concerts which took place in a field.

None of the successful festivals began life as business ventures or as attempts to kick start tourism. They grew out of people loving doing something.

PS - the clumsy freedom to flourish slogan isn't strong enough to hang this idea off imo.

• 4 years later...

My guess would be yea he/she is. I so think it would be better for MF posters to leave this all well alone until it's had it's day, we don't know anything really and maybe our titter tatter could prevent the courts getting to the correct decision. When all is done we can discuss at length but it is clear by the previous court things with MF, we're not exactly popular with 'the powers that be' so in the interest of still being able to talk freely here, lets all behave ourselves and let them what is in charge sort it out wink.png

.....timely un invisbiling of this thread....

Plus the possibility that you can;

Live where you want,

Put shelves up without asking permission first,

Put a parking space in your own garden,

Enjoy any profits when you sell,

Increase your wealth in line with rises in house prices,

Adapt or extend at will (subject to PP),

Not be subject to spot checks re condition of your abode,

Have nothing for your kids to inherit.

Not be subject to ignorant rants about living in a cheap house with all the 'benefits'.

Archived