Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

The Department of Tourism and Leisure, isn't this a leisure activity? Do we want top names coming to the island or not?!

One of my leisure activities is going to the pub.. Do you think the DTL will buy me a few beers with your taxes?

I really thought Dodgers response "Yes, though to a fixed limit" was to this question.

There's more than a few numpties wandering round Ramsey who's drinking habits (and they do little else) are entirely supported by taxes.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, at what stage did any of these festivals break even, until you get a following it can be difficult to gauge attendance.

Well they would have ran at loss for too long, what with not having public funds to bail them out.

From Little acorns and all that

I can just imagine those that follow groups like the Who camping out!

Why not they did at Glastonbury this year

24 hr things to do, where on this island can you get that - Douglas?

No but at a proper three day festival site they will.

Why don't you get a taxi from Peel to Port Erin? - they do have them you know.

Cost of taxi versus cost of plane?, hotel? Meals? Even if you go for VIP tickets with the Music festival, it won't cost anywhere near what you would have to pay to see simular acts in the UK or Ireland.

The Department of Tourism and Leisure, isn't this a leisure activity? Do we want top names coming to the island or not?!

Cost is not a major issue. If the gig is worth it - it's worth paying the extra. It certainly wouldn't be worth travelling to either Peel or London for any of the acts on last year.

Buses to Peel from Port Erin are about one a day in the morning. I suppose a taxi from Peel back might be possible, but how available will they be in TT when there's a couple of thousand in Peel.

I see on Manx Radio the tourism minister has confirmed they won't underwrite it because they do not believe that enough people will come here to make it viable? Surely he must have felt a pang of irony whilst making that statement.

Tourism minister clearly knows NOTHING about music people! We goto Glastonbury & Bestival every year - miles away from here, but the vibe is good and the music is not to be reckoned with...do these fools know nothing at all? In march we will travel to Holland for the sole purpose of seeing a couple of bands. Suppose he thinks people wouldnt travel to see a bike race too - who is he btw? it used to be that chirpy chappie - but they are all so full of lies anyway, oh what is the point?

How do you think the Isle of Wight's music festival got started and when did it start making money? Who covered the costs up til then?

Are you saying the Isle of Wight festival is underwritten by the UK Government?

The bands were excellent this year! If the organisers went for the governments option then it would be "shit bands because of the cost"

The lineup was poor. There was a couple of gems, like The Who and Madness, the rest were shite. None of them are bands with the exception perhaps of The Who are bands you'd travel to see.

I would have travelled to see Madness + Sugarbabes, not interested in the Who, but we all like different things!

I would love to see Bryan Adams live, U2 etc. I would pay for vip seats every time as it is still cheaper than going to the UK for 2 days, with the associated costs of transport, gig tickets and hotel accommodation! Not to mention baby sitters for the whole 2 days.......

What evidence is there that the IOW festival was ever run at a loss? If it's run as a commercial venture, it would have been either profit making from the start or they would have had a business plan (showing how it would eventually become profitable over a couple of years) in order to get funds from a bank or other investor to support it during the loss making period. The plan would include sensitivity analyses, showing potential profits / losses made with different ticket prices and number of attendees and would be used to work out the chances of the whole thing being viable at all.

If there's very little chance of the venture being profitable, investors wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, so why should the government? Is it in the interest of the Island's majority? No.

Start small (and absorb the small losses if it goes wrong) and grow is the only way this could work. It means taking a risk, but that's how commerce works.

I would love to see Bryan Adams live, U2 etc. I would pay for vip seats every time as it is still cheaper than going to the UK for 2 days, with the associated costs of transport, gig tickets and hotel accommodation! Not to mention baby sitters for the whole 2 days.......

Bryan Adams played at the Manchester MEN this year not my thing, but I have been to the MEN a number of times for gigs, and a round trip with boat, train, one nights hotel accommodation and concert tickets, for two adults and two kids £300-350.

How much were four VIP tickets for the Who?

This money spent on bands we wanted to see not the dross that played over here.

What evidence is there that the IOW festival was ever run at a loss? If it's run as a commercial venture, it would have been either profit making from the start or they would have had a business plan (showing how it would eventually become profitable over a couple of years) in order to get funds from a bank or other investor to support it during the loss making period. The plan would include sensitivity analyses, showing potential profits / losses made with different ticket prices and number of attendees and would be used to work out the chances of the whole thing being viable at all.

If there's very little chance of the venture being profitable, investors wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, so why should the government? Is it in the interest of the Island's majority? No.

Start small (and absorb the small losses if it goes wrong) and grow is the only way this could work. It means taking a risk, but that's how commerce works.

They did go to government with a 3 year plan! They were not interested! I wonder if David Cretney had still been minister if things would have been different?! How would the venue in the Villa be a cost saving, the tickets would have to cost more as there is less capacity?! Still no underwriting but less capacity......

There should be a set amount agreed over a period of years, it would be a great shame if we lost this for good! If you start small you couldn't start with A acts, where is the vision!

Government spends money like water normally, how much does the TT cost? IRIS? MEA? Mount Murray, Childcare inquiry! Millions spent and then the reports noted or accepted, not actioned! At least here we would get something for our money!

Tourism minister clearly knows NOTHING about music people! We goto Glastonbury & Bestival every year - miles away from here, but the vibe is good and the music is not to be reckoned with...do these fools know nothing at all? In march we will travel to Holland for the sole purpose of seeing a couple of bands. Suppose he thinks people wouldnt travel to see a bike race too - who is he btw? it used to be that chirpy chappie - but they are all so full of lies anyway, oh what is the point?

You're sort of proving the point you are arguing againt, M'Lady.

You go to proven Festivals with great line-ups. Ours was / is / will be nothing of the sort.

Hardly anyone who wasn't travelling anyway would book to come here. And that's without the exorbitant costs of getting here factored in too...

Bring back "Rock The Rock". Now *theres* a crowd who know their beans :P . And did anyone actually own up to that debacle anyway ?...

...GOMH*...

At least here we would get something for our money!

Yes our money. I didn't go to the PBF because nothing on the lineup interested me. Perhaps we could get the goverment to underwrite the event using only the taxpayers who have bought tickets. After all at least you get something for your money eh? Seems fair, I wont be attending, so I don't have to cough up for your night out.

I didn't go to Peel Bay Festival because the bands I wanted to watch were playing at the same time I was marshalling up on the Mountain for the first one (The Who), and was knackered for the Madness/Stranglers gig on the Sunday.

Who was the Festival aimed at - local residents etc, or the TT fans? If local residents, why have it on at TT?

Archived