Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

They did go to government with a 3 year plan! They were not interested! I wonder if David Cretney had still been minister if things would have been different?! How would the venue in the Villa be a cost saving, the tickets would have to cost more as there is less capacity?! Still no underwriting but less capacity......

There should be a set amount agreed over a period of years, it would be a great shame if we lost this for good! If you start small you couldn't start with A acts, where is the vision!

Government spends money like water normally, how much does the TT cost? IRIS? MEA? Mount Murray, Childcare inquiry! Millions spent and then the reports noted or accepted, not actioned! At least here we would get something for our money!

Unless they have corporate backing, festivals always start small. If they're good, and popular, they grow over the years to meet the demands of the festival go-ers, not the demands of the organisers. If street heritage want a ready made festival with "A" acts, they should take the risk themselves.

And I can't believe you're comparing this to the childcare inquiry.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They did go to government with a 3 year plan! They were not interested!

The government is not a bank.

They put the money up for the Film Industry in its infancy before it broke even.

I don't live in Peel, none of the bands this year appealed to my taste, but I went with friends one night and thought it was a brilliant show in a great location.

Street Heritage did a great job in providing gigs for all ages and getting it nearly all right first time. They deserve all the support that they can get..........but of course anything new that is successful here has to be slagged off.

Crab-mon.jpg

They deserve all the support that they can get..........but of course anything new that is successful here has to be slagged off.

I don't think anyone is particularly 'slagging' it off. It's just for some people it is not to their taste so why should their money be used to underwrite it? If it was successful - why ask for government help and then stamp their feet because that help is turned down.

I'm all for the festival, but it's a business venture by a profitable company. SH ultimatley have to decide whether the risk is worth it like other businesses do every day. SH have decided that it is too risky.

It may have been a cultural or entertainment success, but it was obviously not a commercial success, or else they wouldn't have sought some underwriting from Government.

You can't really compare it with the film industry as the money invested there is intended to create a new industry and stream of income for the island, not underwrite the films per se.

The only way the Government could really underwrite this, IMHO, is to subsidise fares to the island for those wanting to go to the festival. That way it is put on a more equal footing with other festivals to give it a chance of competing and the subsidisation is directly linked to the new (i.e. not IOM-resident) bums on seats the event attracts.

The only way the Government could really underwrite this, IMHO, is to subsidise fares to the island for those wanting to go to the festival.

That is too obvious. Make it easier for people to come here? What planet are you on? ;)

Take your point Ans, but if the cost of getting here was subsidised, then the success or otherwise could be more squarely put at the door of SH. They would have to still take the commercial risk of putting together a programme that would attract people and couldn't blame the lack of success on the cost of getting here. With a straight underwriting, they could, in theory, put together a programme of such unaldutered shite that no one would want to buy a ticket at any price. But if they were given the assurance that the major minus factor in getting punters over here could be eliminated, then they could, perhaps, accept the risk of paying for A list bands and make a go of it.

What is certain is that the festival cannot survive on local support alone and if that was addressed then it may be a goer.

IMHO the government, ie the taxpayers, should not pay for the PBF.

Much as I enjoy seeing live bands this is a private venture and should stand on its own two feet.

I can't see why people are making a fuss about it being in Peel though. For goodness sake, how far from Peel can you be if you are on the island? When I lived across I used to travel 200 miles to Wembley, 100 miles to go to the NEC in Birmingham, 50 miles to Cardiff or 25 miles to Bristol (approximate distances - I haven't studied the atlas.....).

If the taxpayer is going to subsidise gigs for TT then they should be in the Villa as we have paid vast amounts to refurbish and it is not being utilised to its full potential. IMHO there should be at least two concerts a week in there to try and recoup the refurbishment costs.

We have had FLC, Alice Cooper, Robert Plant, Suzi Quatro, Wishbone Ash and many others in the Villa for TT during the 10 years I have lived here and IMHO it is a far better venue than a cold marquee with no flooring in Peel (take note Street Heritage - if you put on a second PBF for God's sake put down flooring as it is extremely uncomfortable to stand for long periods on an uneven field).

If the PBF can't make money then I would say it will have to go. I don't see why the taxpayer should fund it.

Also, as people have pointed out the majority of PBF attendees were locals so why not put it on at a different time of year. Put the TT entertainment in Douglas as that is where the majority of TT fans will be and you may attract them. If the PBF was outside TT fortnight it would be far easier to get to as there would not be the increased levels of transport on the road and this also may make it more attractive for people to go to.

They did go to government with a 3 year plan! They were not interested! I wonder if David Cretney had still been minister if things would have been different?! How would the venue in the Villa be a cost saving, the tickets would have to cost more as there is less capacity?! Still no underwriting but less capacity......

There should be a set amount agreed over a period of years, it would be a great shame if we lost this for good! If you start small you couldn't start with A acts, where is the vision!

Government spends money like water normally, how much does the TT cost? IRIS? MEA? Mount Murray, Childcare inquiry! Millions spent and then the reports noted or accepted, not actioned! At least here we would get something for our money!

Unless they have corporate backing, festivals always start small. If they're good, and popular, they grow over the years to meet the demands of the festival go-ers, not the demands of the organisers. If street heritage want a ready made festival with "A" acts, they should take the risk themselves.

And I can't believe you're comparing this to the childcare inquiry.

I was just pointing out that the government waste a lot of money without it benefiting the people, the recommendations from the reports should be discussed and implimented, otherwise they are a waste of money!

I didn't go to Peel Bay Festival because the bands I wanted to watch were playing at the same time I was marshalling up on the Mountain for the first one (The Who), and was knackered for the Madness/Stranglers gig on the Sunday.

Who was the Festival aimed at - local residents etc, or the TT fans? If local residents, why have it on at TT?

It was hoped that the TT would provide a better attendence, the organisers have acknowledged that it worked against them in that the locals were all working! They were looking to hold it at a different time in the year

It was hoped that the TT would provide a better attendence, the organisers have acknowledged that it worked against them in that the locals were all working! They were looking to hold it at a different time in the year

If a "Rock" festival doesn't provide a better attendance when the Island is stuffed with bikers when will it ?

If a "Rock" festival doesn't provide a better attendance when the Island is stuffed with bikers when will it ?

When did we have a Rock festival over here? Do you mean the one with Madness, Sugababes, Ronan Keating and some guy who used to be in Busted?

I can see bikers fighting themselves in the streets for tickets to a show like that.

Archived