Peel Bay Festival

SANDA

If a "Rock" festival doesn't provide a better attendance when the Island is stuffed with bikers when will it ?

When did we have a Rock festival over here? Do you mean the one with Madness, Sugababes, Ronan Keating and some guy who used to be in Busted?

I can see bikers fighting themselves in the streets for tickets to a show like that.

Meatloaf, Whitesnake, Alice Cooper - good possibility.......

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! Let's have more acts from the 70s, looking to cash in on former glories before they're crippled by old age.

Are Peel Commissioners and the Street Heritage people really that out of touch? No wonder they don't think they're going to meet costs.

Yes! Let's have more acts from the 70s, looking to cash in on former glories before they're crippled by old age.

Are Peel Commissioners and the Street Heritage people really that out of touch? No wonder they don't think they're going to meet costs.

It will always depend on who they can get, after this years festival there are a lot of agents who are interested!

I would like to see ZZ top, Bryan Adams, Whitesnake and Alice Cooper myself, though it would depend on if/when they were touring and if they would be interested in doing a gig in the IOM (WHERE? Is that off the South coast of the UK!)

I don't think that the Commissioners or Street Heritage are that out of touch, the Commissioners were/are supportive of the event as it is a positive for the area and the island! It is a pity that the government can't see the benefit for the people of the island and its economy, isn't it better that the taxpayer spends their money on the island than spending it off island?!

isn't it better that the taxpayer spends their money on the island than spending it off island?!

Nobody would dispute that.

However, the crux of the problem that I, and I suspect many others, have, is that the Government are being asked to underwrite a commercial event. It's not been suggested by anyone that this is a profit sharing venture with the organisers, so I'm assuming that isn't on the table. This makes it a situation where Government (ie the taxpayer) takes all the risk for no potential reward.

There were rumours of a last minute bail out last year, that I don't remember ever being confirmed or denied, but this would certainly make sense if they're not prepared to take a chance on the costs this year and get a guarantee.

Basically, some questions need to be answered if they have any chance of winning over the public.

• Was the PBF bailed out last year with public funds?
  • Did the PBF turn a profit last year?
  • Who covered the costs last year?
  • Why are they not prepared to cover them this year
  • If there were profits, why were these not sunk back into the business to provide more security for future events
  • Would you be prepared to profit share with the IOMG

It is a pity that the government can't see the benefit for the people of the island and its economy, isn't it better that the taxpayer spends their money on the island than spending it off island?!

Why do you think that? Didn't the govt give all reasonable support to it this year? They granted licences, worked with street heritage to ensure the corncrake issue was dealt with etc. What more do street heritage want? Oh yeah, money if it fails (which street heritage are obviously expecting). Where's the benefit to the taxpayer in that?

Lots of nightclubs and promoters have lost money on ventures in the past. They took their chances, and if it didn't work out they took the loss and moved on. Why should this be any different?

It is a pity that the government can't see the benefit for the people of the island and its economy, isn't it better that the taxpayer spends their money on the island than spending it off island?!

Why do you think that? Didn't the govt give all reasonable support to it this year? They granted licences, worked with street heritage to ensure the corncrake issue was dealt with etc. What more do street heritage want? Oh yeah, money if it fails (which street heritage are obviously expecting). Where's the benefit to the taxpayer in that?

Lots of nightclubs and promoters have lost money on ventures in the past. They took their chances, and if it didn't work out they took the loss and moved on. Why should this be any different?

The government didn't give any help? The festival almost didn't go ahead because of the corncrake!

The benefit to the taxpayer is that they get a festival with A rated acts! When/where will they get this on the island without government help? The Villa is heavily subsidised by taxpayers money? Do all the acts their break even?

If a "Rock" festival doesn't provide a better attendance when the Island is stuffed with bikers when will it ?

When did we have a Rock festival over here? Do you mean the one with Madness, Sugababes, Ronan Keating and some guy who used to be in Busted?

I can see bikers fighting themselves in the streets for tickets to a show like that.

Quite right ,and with a shite lineup like that i understand why nobody wants to back it :rolleyes:

isn't it better that the taxpayer spends their money on the island than spending it off island?!

Nobody would dispute that.

However, the crux of the problem that I, and I suspect many others, have, is that the Government are being asked to underwrite a commercial event. It's not been suggested by anyone that this is a profit sharing venture with the organisers, so I'm assuming that isn't on the table. This makes it a situation where Government (ie the taxpayer) takes all the risk for no potential reward.

There were rumours of a last minute bail out last year, that I don't remember ever being confirmed or denied, but this would certainly make sense if they're not prepared to take a chance on the costs this year and get a guarantee.

Basically, some questions need to be answered if they have any chance of winning over the public.

• Was the PBF bailed out last year with public funds? No
  • Did the PBF turn a profit last year? No a loss
  • Who covered the costs last year? Jonathan Irving
  • Why are they not prepared to cover them this year - Can't sustain the level of loss
  • If there were profits, why were these not sunk back into the business to provide more security for future events - N/A
  • Would you be prepared to profit share with the IOMG - Don't know, this should have been covered in the discussions?!

Quite right ,and with a shite lineup like that i understand why nobody wants to back it :rolleyes:

Have you gone online to suggest some acts? :cool:

whether the PBF does go ahead or not, it would be nice to see the gov make some effort to put something on aswell. they did fuck all in the villa last year, given it was the big centenary (woohoo) i was expecting atleast AC/DC

[*]Did the PBF turn a profit last year? No a loss

Well there you go then. They're not asking for the event to be underwritten, they're asking for the taxpayer to fund it.

This is one decision the Government have got completely right.

"The government didn't give any help? The festival almost didn't go ahead because of the corncrake!"

This is a bit off track, but I seriously would like to know if anyone saw "the corncrake" - or did anyone even hear it?

I spotted a red herring straight away that must have been very costly for the PBF organisers.

Have you gone online to suggest some acts? :cool:

I suggest any act they want to pay for :P

On the news this pm Jonathon Irving stated the £250k guarantee he's after is a third of what he lost last year = £750,000.00, and that he'd need attendace of 6,500 each day to break even with the guarentee, or 8000 per day to break even without it, and he'd thinks it would attract upto 4,000 visitors.

That just about nails it - I can think of plenty of ways to spend £250k without using it to prop up the ego of a group of minor event organisers - the only winner here is Mr I's own company Street Heritage which gets all the cudos for the event. Last years loss is one hell of a cost of advertising - still there's money to be made on new property in peel.

IMO the DTL have made a good decision for once

The PBF was over-ambitious.

It should have started out as a 2 or 3 day festival with the hope that it would eventually grow from that.

The mixture of ageing rockers, bland pop stars, and acts resurrected from the past was never going to be a recipe for success.

However much the idea of taking some of the entertainment to the rest of the island instead of piling it all into Douglas may be desirable, it cannot be achieved in one go.

The whole concept needs a complete re-think, and the government (IMO) was right not to chuck taxpayers money at something that offers far less than the sum of all its parts.

Archived