Reopening The Case For Euthanasia

Pragmatopian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7123460.stm

A 77-year-old Italian man has been arrested after shooting dead his wife as she lay in hospital.

Police in the Tuscan city of Prato said the man shot his 82-year-old wife, who had Alzheimer's disease, three times in full view of medical staff.

The man, whose name has not been released by the police, entered the hospital ward where his wife was being treated at around 1730 on Saturday, according to the Italian newspaper, La Stampa.

He then took out a pistol and shot her twice in the head and once in the chest.

Afterwards, he placed the weapon in the corner of the room and awaited the police, La Stampa reported.

What a sad story :( Unlikely to happen in staunchly Catholic Italy, but why are we still not providing the mechanisms for those suffering unending physical or mental distress to die with dignity?

but why are we still not providing the mechanisms for those suffering unending physical or mental distress to die with dignity?

Because in general society lacks the courage/strength/call it what you will.

Ok, it's regarded as a legal and moral minefield.

But given that we can offer this to a well loved pet yet refuse to offer the same to a person we love, there's something wrong with our thinking.

No easy answer but surely there should be in the final chapter, the legal option to determine ones fate and do so with dignity.

The Swiss seem to lead in this while the rest mouth platitudes and wring their hands.

I know what I would do for myself and if asked for someone I love should circumstances make it a final option. Having said that, I doubt my personal decision would be accepted by everyone so it is and should be a personal choice but the option should be there.

The protection isssues are the biggest question but the Swiss seem to have worked them out.

At the risk of repeating myself, it's a personal choice but that option should exist.

At the risk of repeating myself, it's a personal choice but that option should exist.

I agree in principle, but in this particular case, the person to die didn't express any desire to do that. Her husband chose to take action because he didn't want to see her suffer.

This is why it's a difficult thing to legislate properly. While I sympathise with this guy, what he's done is still murder.

I agree in principle, but in this particular case, the person to die didn't express any desire to do that. Her husband chose to take action because he didn't want to see her suffer.

This is why it's a difficult thing to legislate properly. While I sympathise with this guy, what he's done is still murder.

Maybe people who become ill could state whether Euthanasia is something they would if it came to that. It would be similar to a living will where sometimes people chose a DNR (do not resuscitate).

I think keyboarder should be encouraged to experiment with euthanasia.

No experimentation needed - I know exactly where I stand on euthanasia. I'm against it. And particularly so in the case of Alzheimer's to which this thread relates, where sufferers are unable to make these sort of decisions for themselves, and then coherently convey any decision to other people. It is not for others to make the decision.

I think keyboarder should be encouraged to experiment with euthanasia.

No experimentation needed - I know exactly where I stand on euthanasia. I'm against it. And particularly so in the case of Alzheimer's to which this thread relates, where sufferers are unable to make these sort of decisions for themselves, and then coherently convey any decision to other people. It is not for others to make the decision.

Makes a strong case for arranging matters whilst you are still compus mentus

This story's been on the news for the past 2 days here and from what I can make out there's no suggestion that what he did was against his wives wishes. She should at least have spoken to a lawyer so that someone else was aware of their wishes.

It seems that he's going to be charged with murder as the Italian legal system in that region has no provision for euthanasia.

Archived