Personal Data Security

Dodger

You are going off subject with Peel Clothworkers, I never mentioned anything about paths?! Fingerprinting, yes, shool banning football as too dangerous - yes, reporting the school for health and safety violations - yes What is your point?

Well, other than you being a serial bleater, my point was your loud shouts about football, where you berated the school for banning something because of a bit of risk. This seems contrary to your apparent opinion that all use of data be banned because there's a risk of it being stolen.

I have always said there are risks with holding data electronically, this is why I started this particular thread on data security. The concern is that the government wants to hold more details on you electronically and use it internationally to verify who you are for cross border checks, bank accounts, access to services etc. Data is lost all the time, storing more of it and all in one place makes it a target.

I'm not going to answer this again. It's been put to you over and over, and you're not prepared to accept anyone elses opinion, so there's no point addressing it again.

Do you feel sure in that your details are secure for the rest of your life?

For someone so paranoid about information security, you don't half seem to be free with yours. 2 mins on google gets:

Rodger Gimbert, 30 Derby Road, Peel, Isle of Man, IM5 1HP, email address r_gimbert@hotmail.com. Son Arran age 9 and Bruce age 5. Works for BA Connect as a Material Controller and is a Peel Commissioner and is into Viking role play and is charge of membership of the local viking reenactment society.

Name, address, email, childrens names, pretty much the bulk of the detail that was lost with the DHSS fuckup that you're so hot and bothered about.

I don't feel that any government should store all your details in one system, where it can be compromised. Linked via internet and remote access granted. There are enough people locally who could misuse your data without it being accessable worldwide. There also isn't international law protecting those who have had their data compromised. How would you get compensation from someone in China, USA, Canada?

You don't accept the point that a central system is inherantly more secure than a distributed array of systems, so there's nothing more to discuss. You're wrong, but you wont accept it, you know better I guess. Can you tell me how you're qualified to know better?

But you're happy for private business to hold this data on online web servers, you've not answered that one? How about your bank giving an Indian warehouse full of oursourced customer service clerks access to your bank account? Why are you so flappy about the government, when you dont seem to give a shit about the far more intrusive and risky exposures to your personal information?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are going off subject with Peel Clothworkers, I never mentioned anything about paths?! Fingerprinting, yes, shool banning football as too dangerous - yes, reporting the school for health and safety violations - yes What is your point?

Well, other than you being a serial bleater, my point was your loud shouts about football, where you berated the school for banning something because of a bit of risk. This seems contrary to your apparent opinion that all use of data be banned because there's a risk of it being stolen.

I have always said there are risks with holding data electronically, this is why I started this particular thread on data security. The concern is that the government wants to hold more details on you electronically and use it internationally to verify who you are for cross border checks, bank accounts, access to services etc. Data is lost all the time, storing more of it and all in one place makes it a target.

I'm not going to answer this again. It's been put to you over and over, and you're not prepared to accept anyone elses opinion, so there's no point addressing it again.

Do you feel sure in that your details are secure for the rest of your life?

For someone so paranoid about information security, you don't half seem to be free with yours. 2 mins on google gets:

Rodger Gimbert, 30 Derby Road, Peel, Isle of Man, IM5 1HP, email address r_gimbert@hotmail.com. Son Arran age 9 and Bruce age 5. Works for BA Connect as a Material Controller and is a Peel Commissioner and is into Viking role play and is charge of membership of the local viking reenactment society.

Name, address, email, childrens names, pretty much the bulk of the detail that was lost with the DHSS fuckup that you're so hot and bothered about.

I don't feel that any government should store all your details in one system, where it can be compromised. Linked via internet and remote access granted. There are enough people locally who could misuse your data without it being accessable worldwide. There also isn't international law protecting those who have had their data compromised. How would you get compensation from someone in China, USA, Canada?

You don't accept the point that a central system is inherantly more secure than a distributed array of systems, so there's nothing more to discuss. You're wrong, but you wont accept it, you know better I guess. Can you tell me how you're qualified to know better?

But you're happy for private business to hold this data on online web servers, you've not answered that one? How about your bank giving an Indian warehouse full of oursourced customer service clerks access to your bank account? Why are you so flappy about the government, when you dont seem to give a shit about the far more intrusive and risky exposures to your personal information?

I don't have on my website my bank account details, my fingerprints, passport details, national insurance number! Therefore I disagree with you. You also failed to mention how many times you have given your passport, NI, Biometrics to identify yourself over the internet?

The website is wrong as I am no longer working for BA Connect, seems it was bought out..........Took redundancy!

If you can get my bank account details online, I will apologise and shut up! :D

Feel the love. I can't decide whether the internet brings out the worst in people, or if it allows their true colours to shine through. It's a bit like alcohol in that respect.

Treat others the way you would like to be treated, may you be happy and fulfilled :D

I don't have on my website my bank account details, my fingerprints, passport details, national insurance number! Therefore I disagree with you. You also failed to mention how many times you have given your passport, NI, Biometrics to identify yourself over the internet?

Information gathering by the State has to be stopped somewhere. I draw the line at giving my fingerprints and DNA.

Anything wrong with this???

If you can get my bank account details online, I will apologise and shut up! :D

So you never give out cheques or use your bank card? My point was simply that bank account numbers are something that you should be careful with sure, but they're not particularly secret or sensitive information. Nobody can defraud you with your bank account number, the worst they can do is pay stuff in to your account, shock horror.

Passport: Yes, to airlines

Biometrics: Yes, all over the place in the form of signatures

NI: Yes, to my pension company

So what?

My question to you, that you've not answered, is simple. Lots of companies have far more sensitive data about you than the above. Why don't you care about their security?

My question to you, that you've not answered, is simple. Lots of companies have far more sensitive data about you than the above. Why don't you care about their security?

I have a health insurance policy with a long established company. They have a lot of personal data about me which they keep to themselves. If they 'lost' the data in the manner of HMRC they would be prosecuted under the data protection act, their reputation would be in tatters and people like me would take their business elsewhere. Staff responsible would be sacked and might find it difficult to work again in that sector.

In short, I trust the company with my data and it is my choice to give it to them.

I have a health insurance policy with a long established company. They have a lot of personal data about me which they keep to themselves. If they 'lost' the data in the manner of HMRC they would be prosecuted under the data protection act, their reputation would be in tatters and people like me would take their business elsewhere. Staff responsible would be sacked and might find it difficult to work again in that sector.

In short, I trust the company with my data and it is my choice to give it to them.

You really don't have a choice, if you want a mortgage, you have to have life insurance. You need a pension. You have to make credit card payments. None of this stuff is really a choice.

But I'm really talking in response to Dodgers assertions that no data can be secured, full stop. That all data is going to be hacked and stolen. As you said, your health insurance company does a pretty good job of it.

As to private companies losing data, it happens. Look at the mass skimming of credid card details from TK Maxx for example, a far more serious breach than losing your name and address. Is TK Maxx's reputation in tatters? Most of the time you won't hear about such losses, and if data is stolen, you wont necessarily know the source.

HMRC is being dealth with by the Data Protection Office same as any other organisation. The maximum penalty for this kind of breach is a £5,000 fine, but they'll only get that after repeated warnings, same as anyone else.

Archived