Personal Data Security

Dodger

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have on my website my bank account details, my fingerprints, passport details, national insurance number! Therefore I disagree with you. You also failed to mention how many times you have given your passport, NI, Biometrics to identify yourself over the internet?

If you can get my bank account details online, I will apologise and shut up! :D

So you never give out cheques or use your bank card? My point was simply that bank account numbers are something that you should be careful with sure, but they're not particularly secret or sensitive information. Nobody can defraud you with your bank account number, the worst they can do is pay stuff in to your account, shock horror.

Passport: Yes, to airlines

Biometrics: Yes, all over the place in the form of signatures

NI: Yes, to my pension company

So what?

My question to you, that you've not answered, is simple. Lots of companies have far more sensitive data about you than the above. Why don't you care about their security?

My point is that the data is not given online! What is more sensitive than all of your details being in one system?

Your bank account details and your online biometrics can be potentially used to transfer funds. You will notice that I don't have a signature on my website!

Do you expect the airline to scan your biometric data at check in? Do you use it to confirm bookings online? Do you give electronic signatures online? If you do I hope that you password protect it! Your personal pension is your choice, but do you do it online?

I do care about other companies security, but I have decided to give my details to them. The NIR is not an opt in or out option. They want all your data in one system, I don't agree with that and don't see why I HAVE to do so. If it is an opt in and there seems to be those who feel that it is a good idea then you can be the guinea pigs............

So you never give out cheques or use your bank card? My point was simply that bank account numbers are something that you should be careful with sure, but they're not particularly secret or sensitive information. Nobody can defraud you with your bank account number, the worst they can do is pay stuff in to your account, shock horror.

Passport: Yes, to airlines

Biometrics: Yes, all over the place in the form of signatures

NI: Yes, to my pension company

So what?

My question to you, that you've not answered, is simple. Lots of companies have far more sensitive data about you than the above. Why don't you care about their security?

You really don't have a choice, if you want a mortgage, you have to have life insurance. You need a pension. You have to make credit card payments. None of this stuff is really a choice.

Droidy - In my case, yes companies have more sensitive information than that about me. But it is not necessarily true. You see, for example, my bank (and a few other places) have my mother's maiden name. Then I noticed it was starting to become more important than many biometrics. I now have several mother's maiden names depending on the level of security required. A few weeks ago I was registering the warranty on a new washing machine and it asked for mother's maiden name for security purposes. There is no way in hell I will give away a piece of information that could potentially bankrupt me for the sake of the potential free repair of a £300 washing machine. Anybody who does really needs to take a course in life management of needs a life coach (or a free pass to Ballamona). Unfortunately, that is probably most people.

In case you are missing the point here, Yes, I agree the data is everywhere. However, people are stupid and people make mistakes. Security software is often easily breached and data is easily stolen. But, they only have what you are willing to give them.

With regard to ID cards, I am against them mainly because of the Big Brother issues. With regard to finger prints, I am against them being stored as an identification biometric because it will incriminate innocent people. I am against the storing of DNA information because it will be sold to insurance companies and other businesses.

I mean imagine being sat at home on a Saturday afternoon and suddenly there is a knock at the door. You answer the door and it is an undertaker. He says "Hello Mr. Droid. We were given your name by an associated company. Apparently, your DNA says you have about 6 months to live and we were wondering if you would like to choose us to direct your funeral. Perhaps we could go through the details now? Would you like to pay in advance?"

Granted, there is a huge amount of personal information about us out there. I, for one, am not happy about it. However, this debate is about balance. For my part, information that is outside my home should only be there if it is to provide a service of our choosing. The trouble is, information is now falling to the hands of organisations and people who seek it for control and influence. We are increasingly unable to prevent this - particularly with respect to the State.

As indivduals, we are losing control of what is known about our private lives and that is wrong.

Cambon: Pretty much agree with what you say about people being stupid about personal data, and you highlight a point I made earlier, that the most common source of data leaks are the individuals themselves. It's amazing what you can get out of people simply by sounding official and asking them. I don't agree that security software is easily breached, and data is easily stolen. It's just not as easy or as common as you make out.

The ID card stuff; well it's all proposals right now, and everything I've seen suggests it'll be hashes of biometrics and not the actual data. We've covered that to death, no point doing it again.

Dodger I'm done with. You're just repeating the same thing over and over. I've addressed this point several times, and you've done the 'thanks for confirming that' several times, to which I've replied to again. Either you've got a two second memory, or your thick as two short planks. Dunno which, don't care, but I'm glad you didn't get elected.

I'll summarise my position, for what it's worth.

- Your data is out there, it's always at risk. What's required is reduction that risk, not eliminating the use of data

- Just because it's government doesn't make it any more at risk than private enterprise, in fact the opposite is generally true

- Improved identification of individuals is required to reduce the risk of identity theft and fraud, not reducing the amount of data available, and an ID card could be part of that.

I don't expect you to understand, I'm beginning to see you're not capable, but I tried. Cheers!

Improved identification of individuals is required to reduce the risk of identity theft and fraud

An entirely political point if I may say so. It's data that gets copied for fraud - not individual people. The more data you give out the more there is to copy. The more sophisticated the security - the higher the value of the target. You can go on encrypting and encoding 'til you are blue in the face. There will always be someone out there trying to hack it.

Yes, we leave fingerprints out there everyday. However, if no one has a digital record of them then they are useless.

I, for one, am not prepared to let my children take part in the great biometric experiment.

The more sophisticated the security - the higher the value of the target. You can go on encrypting and encoding 'til you are blue in the face. There will always be someone out there trying to hack it.

Yes, we leave fingerprints out there everyday. However, if no one has a digital record of them then they are useless.

I, for one, am not prepared to let my children take part in the great biometric experiment.

Prove it, tell me what this says:

99f6c842383875027f29e1bb04b6933f

Archived