[BBC News] Spate of car crime investigated

Newsbot

Mine was done in twice in the space of 2 months and the fools were about as helpful as a blow up hammer. Scratched and had what appeared to be paint thinner poured all over it. The first cost £1200 and the second time it cost over £1500! So out went my no claims and am currently paying the best part of £600/year for insurance. Little prick has alot to answer for!

I had a large object rammed into my (pretty new at the time) car a few years ago. The police came round and whilst they were there I spotted a Shoprite trolley not far away. Funnily enough, the marks and dents on the car matched the height of the trolley. And the police response, ver batim I hasten to add:-

"You know what kids are like nowadays"

I was speechless to say the least.

To add insult to injury, I am still driving round with said dints in the car as it was cheaper not to claim, and I have never got round to having a spare £1,000 to fix it.

I tell you what Boredom, it has got me to the stage now that if I found out that my kids (15 and 11 respectively) were doing damage of any kind, I would shop them to the police. I can pretty much guarantee that the response would not be so ad hoc!

I tell you what Boredom, it has got me to the stage now that if I found out that my kids (15 and 11 respectively) were doing damage of any kind, I would shop them to the police.

I wouldn't do that - though I would make sure they were punished and made to understand the consequences - and any bad influences removed as far as possible (e.g. visit other parents of kids associated/involved). Surely reporting your own kids demonstrates nothing other that you have lost control over them and have failed as a parent? Surely by reporting them for a 'first offence' you would also be giving your kids 'a $64 smack' - by associating one event they were involved with - with all the other events going on which are actually out of your (and their) control.

Obviously the key is to make sure as a parent that they don't get involved in this sort of thing of thing in the first place - but getting them a record just for the sake of a principle would be defeating the object IMO. That said, I could understand some parents who couldn't cope anymore with repetitive bad behaviour and 'tried everything', using it as a last resort.

I spotted a Shoprite trolley not far away. Funnily enough, the marks and dents on the car matched the height of the trolley. And the police response, ver batim I hasten to add:-

"You know what kids are like nowadays"

That must be what they teach them at training school because that was virtually word for word what they said to me. My damage was £800 and my neighbours' were an average of a grand a piece on three cars. I don't think anyone claimed on their insurance.

Its tempting to go back with "You know that's coppers these days - lazy useless shites"

OK, most car owners on the Island have suffered from damage. I reported mine scratched and nobody was caught, however, unless you have CCTV, a witness or a copper stood outside your house all night there is very little you can do. It is a hazard of owning a car and I am afraid we all have a share in this Island problem. (Bad parenting, alcohol etc etc)

It is very easy to WHINGE and MOAN about how your car got damaged but what have YOU and anybody else actually done about it? (If you are interested, I have badgered my MHK to vote for any CCTV initiative, more police and tougher penalties. Plus think about where you park the car and if relevant, get a neighbourhood watch scheme set up)

There is no point getting all uptight about this problem, it is Island wide and will go on for years more if nothing changes.

Otherwise, just buy an old Landrover defender and you don't care too much if it gets trashed.

I agree. People are so damned precious about their boring bloody cars - who gives a toss if there's a few scratches in the paintwork? Get over it, lol...... I for one wouldn't want the police wasting time investigating very petty crimes like this in the absence of any witnesses, they've got much more important and cost effective things to do.

I agree. People are so damned precious about their boring bloody cars - who gives a toss if there's a few scratches in the paintwork? Get over it, lol...... I for one wouldn't want the police wasting time investigating very petty crimes like this in the absence of any witnesses, they've got much more important and cost effective things to do.

Yay! The boring troll strikes again...

Are you a constable by any chance? They say that if you are mugged too.

Are you a constable by any chance? They say that if you are mugged too.

No I'm not. I don't really see what people expect them to do though in isolated incidents like car scratching or some muggings other than take statements and record the crime.

You might have a point there. If the culprit is known then the police should investigate, otherwise let it drop.

I have an old balaclava somewhere, always fancied my chances as a cat burglar.

Archived