American Playstation 3

dooahhdoo

Got a family member coming over soon and he has asked me if I would like him to bring anything over.

Can a US PS3 be played on a PAL telly? I guess not on the old ones anyway but what about a new LCD? What about the games? I gather you would have to use US games on it? Oh and what about DVDs?

So many questions! Thanks in advance.

Got a family member coming over soon and he has asked me if I would like him to bring anything over.

Can a US PS3 be played on a PAL telly? I guess not on the old ones anyway but what about a new LCD? What about the games? I gather you would have to use US games on it? Oh and what about DVDs?

So many questions! Thanks in advance.

PS3 games aren't region locked, so you're fine there. PS2 and 1 games are region locked, but a new ps3 can't play ps2 games anyway..

If you use a hdtv it'll be fine.

DVD's/BD Disks are region locked, so you'll have to buy region 1 films.

If you do bring a PS3 back from the States, there are a few compatibility issues you need to be aware of. At the moment, PS3 games are not region-encoded, so you'll be able to play UK games on your US PS3 (it's possible Sony might introduce region encoding, but it's unlikely).

But it will only play US (aka NTSC) PlayStation 2 games, so you might need to replace your back catalogue. Blu-ray movies are region-encoded, so you'll have to import them from the US. The same is true of standard DVDs.

As for power, the PS3 has its transformer built in, so you'll just need a standard three-prong kettle lead with a UK plug.

The main advantage the US PS3 has over the UK version (apart from price) is its backwards compatibility. Simply put, the US PS3 has a PS2 chip inside it, so all US PS2 and PSOne games will work straight away.

The UK version does not have this feature, but 'emulates' the PS2 using software. This is a fairly difficult procedure though, and not all games are supported. Sony recently launched a Web site with a list of supported titles, and it also tells you whether they work properly or have some problems. If your game's not on the list, it ain't working at all. Sony has promised that titles will be regularly added to the list using firmware updates.

link

10 sec google search, am sure there are alot more answers out there.

The main advantage the US PS3 has over the UK version (apart from price) is its backwards compatibility. Simply put, the US PS3 has a PS2 chip inside it, so all US PS2 and PSOne games will work straight away.

This part is out of date, the 40gb US ps3 doesn't have BC.

Archived