Which Dj Software?

Mr. Sausages

you can play off the cuff with ableton, you can warp while u play, i used to pre prepare till i worked out how to sort out my soundcad to use 2 channels in ur mixer (1 for cuein & the other for playin) it just works for me as i was never gonna fork out another £1500 for 2 more cdj's to play with 4 decks

Ableton Live was made especially for live performance, one of the reasons that make it so special is that you can chop your tunes up live and basically remix on the fly or hook up the midi controller and trigger those midi clips/audio clips/vst parameters/anything you god damn like really!. It takes a bit of time to learn but well worth the effort, this is the kind of DJ software that can really make a set unique. The likes of Sasha and Hawtin use it for this very reason.

If your going to mix your tracks the hands on way then your better off with Tractor Scratch or Serato Scratch but if you want to do something truly unique Ableton Live is the way to go! (unless you can scratch like Quebert or Roc Raider that is!)

Tractor 3 has the capability to mix 4 decks and the effects are pretty damn good but the GUI on Deckadance is layed out a lot better and the Midi learn is quick and easy, plus the effects are good quality too (I think Tractors are better quality, just, my friend Ian loves it!), imho.

Screw it!!...............Buy the bloody lot!!! and use it all!!!!!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Progress update. Bought Serato Scratch Live, which got delivered a few days ago. It took about 2 seconds to set up - no problems whatsoever. Already had the software installed from scratchlive.net, then just plug in the hardware and away you go.

I'm using the vinyl timecodes on my 1200s, and it is indistinguishable from using real vinyl. I was expecting there to be some lag, but there just isn't. It's identical. Except of course, that Serato has a key lock feature (meaning you can nudge a record without really hearing it - so you can hide cock ups), and it can loop stuff automatically etc, and you also have various cue points saved. Essentially it's turned my Technics into CDJ-1000s. Plus, the waveforms make it a lot easier to mix, and after half an hour using it I really wouldn't want to go back to mixing without that visual aid.

£309 delivered off eBay - seems like money well spent so far, especially as it's completely quashed my desire to get a pair of CDJ-1000mk3s (£1,500). First test is a party I'm playing at tomorrow night. I think I'm gonna take a chance and play exclusively off the laptop.

Archived