[BBC News] Plans to transform town submitted

Newsbot

Just suspend the rail between towers, each of which has a wind turbine on top. All the energy harnessed from the hundreds of turbines would power the monorail, the entire Island with the remainder sold to the UK.

Actually, that is too close to being a good idea so it will not happen.

That would probably be more expensive than the tunnel idea.

Building on the ground is cheaper than building in the ground, generally speaking. We need to find out the depth and of the bed rock in order to establish whether either of these ideas are viable...

I'm liking the zipline idea but the base of the tower would need to be quite wide, the shortest distance between the island and the UK is between the Point of Ayre and...that bit of Scotland, whatever it's called, the Ayres are nice and flat and sparsly populated so it'd be a good place to start. Also, to deal with the increased traffic of people from Willaston, Pulrose and Ballabeg travelling to Jurby to visit their various relatives in the prison and holidaymakers travelling to get to the new zip line, another line could be run from the top of Snaefell out to the Point of Ayre.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
another line could be run from the top of Snaefell out to the Point of Ayre.

Let's expand this further. If you had a single structure on top of Snaefell, you could have multiple zip lines to different points. One each to Belfast, Mull of Galloway, Liverpool and even Cardiff. Imagine the possibilities.

I've got a crack team of engineers a team of engineers on crack working on this already.

I always thought they should put a roof over Strand Street. Seriously, I think its possible. The new roof could be either on columns or supports bolted onto the existing buildings. It would be done so it over laps the ends of the roofs of the buildings but not touch them and would be in sections along Strand Street (and Castle and Duke Streets). A bit like a series of giant umbrellas.

I always thought they should put a roof over Strand Street. Seriously, I think its possible. The new roof could be either on columns or supports bolted onto the existing buildings. It would be done so it over laps the ends of the roofs of the buildings but not touch them and would be in sections along Strand Street (and Castle and Duke Streets). A bit like a series of giant umbrellas.

But then all the water would be channelled off to the sides, meaning your wouldh have to brave a sheet of water if you wanted to enter a shop

Plans to transform Douglas town centre are submitted to the Isle of Man government for approval.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7136517.stm

Nice conspiracy theorty-Allan Bell criticises Douglas saying it is shabby and needs smartening up. A few weeks later Douglas Development Partnership comes forward with exciting new plans to smarten up Douglas. But they will need our money to do it.

But then all the water would be channelled off to the sides, meaning your wouldh have to brave a sheet of water if you wanted to enter a shop

Ever heard of gutters and drains?

Ever heard of gutters and drains?

I think it would be possible. Perhaps a 2 to 3 metre wide perspex roof (with an apex and designed to let light through) running through the centre of the street (with its own perspex guttering), with seats underneath on one side, hanging baskets etc. here and there, and allowing little stalls (licenced so as not to be at the detriment of other shops) to be set up along the way underneath - yet still give people room to pass. This would also give the the 'gassers' somewhere to stop, sit and talk and let people get by either side.

actually a good idea, it woudl work even better in Ramsey however both Strand Street and Parliament Street have to be able to accommodate delivery vehicles of the large type. I'm surprised the planners let them build them the way they did!!

actually a good idea, it woudl work even better in Ramsey however both Strand Street and Parliament Street have to be able to accommodate delivery vehicles of the large type. I'm surprised the planners let them build them the way they did!!

Very good point, remove the columns then and just have the supports bolted to the buildings.

My design (which is sitting in my head - nothing down on paper) as I said would just be like a series of large umbrellas along the street. They would need to be clear to allow light through. This would allow for the different roof heights projections etc along the street. It would however take a better brain than mine to design it so it works, but I think it's possible.

Even better; a roof over strand/parliament street made of very thin plasma screens that could show scenes of wonderment, planes flying in formation, flocks of swans gently gliding about the heavens, loads of motorbikes charging round some country roads at breakneck speeds . See the possibilities to advertisers and the government propaganda factory. Imagine coming out of a shop and looking skyward to see a squadron of spitfires just 40ft away

You mean something like the Las Vegas Fremont Street Experience ?

The most obvious and largest part of the Fremont Street Experience is the Viva Vision canopy and light show. The canopy towers 90 feet above the ground and spans the length of five football fields. Featuring more than 12 million LED modules and 555,000-watt sound system, the light show attracts tourists and locals alike.

142351mr3.jpg

I say Yes Please !!!

Even better; a roof over strand/parliament street made of very thin plasma screens that could show scenes of wonderment, planes flying in formation, flocks of swans gently gliding about the heavens, loads of motorbikes charging round some country roads at breakneck speeds . See the possibilities to advertisers and the government propaganda factory. Imagine coming out of a shop and looking skyward to see a squadron of spitfires just 40ft away

You mean something like the Las Vegas Fremont Street Experience ?

The most obvious and largest part of the Fremont Street Experience is the Viva Vision canopy and light show. The canopy towers 90 feet above the ground and spans the length of five football fields. Featuring more than 12 million LED modules and 555,000-watt sound system, the light show attracts tourists and locals alike.

142351mr3.jpg

I say Yes Please !!!

I experienced it myself on Monday night. Fantastic viewing. :cool:

Archived