Cyber Bullying

Grianane

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Students-su...cher.3571375.jp

Interesting story - I wonder whether the school management team have considered why a bunch of kids chose to raise criticism about a teacher on a "social networking site". Maybe doing it was wrong but is there a formal route for pupils to express concerns regarding teachers performance and are they actualy listened to. I hope that this isn't a cry for help which is ignored because it was done online.

[spelling 9/10]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Students-su...cher.3571375.jp

Interesting story - I wonder whether the school management team have considered why a bunch of kids chose to raise criticism about a teacher on a "social networking site". Maybe doing it was wrong but is there a formal route for pupils to express concerns regarding teachers performance and are they actualy listened to. I hope that this isn't a cry for help which is ignored because it was done online.

[spelling 9/10]

It struck me as a bit pathetic. A grown person claiming that they're being cyber bullied by 7 year olds.

Wow..a school in Ramsey has discovered the internet. What news..

No such whinging in ze Heimatland:

German Court Allows Students to Grade Teachers Online

A Web site that allows German students to grade their teachers defeated a legal challenge from a woman who was insulted by her low ranking. The court said freedom of expression protected the students' opinions.

A state superior court in the city of Cologne ruled on Tuesday, Nov. 27, that the Web site spickmich.de and the teacher rankings on it were protected by constitutional freedom of expression rights as long as the comments were not defamatory.

The Cologne judge's verdict upheld a lower court ruling, which also rejected the teacher's application for a closure order....

....Many teachers are vehemently opposed to the site, saying no teacher should be graded without consent. The Cologne judge, however, said the site could "serve as a guide for students and parents and could lead to desirable communication, interaction and added transparency."

You're reading this, kids? "Freedom of expression" and "Desirable communication, interaction and added transparency"

Suspension? WTF.....

A formal route? why not just go to your tutor... head of year.. or above? If you don't like a teacher, and you really want to make a complaint, it's not that hard to do so in a proper, respectful manner.

I would hardly consider this a cry for help... but more the whinging of some [immature] children.

You don't like a teacher? fine. We've all had teachers that we don't like. You talk with friends about that? fine. That's normal. Publishing it on these network sites and making an issue of it to this extent is really taking it too far and it is uncalled for!

The likelihood is, it's all lies anyway. Children make up a lot of crap about their teachers, and most whinging derives from the student being punished for something he/she stupidly did wrong. It's about time schools start to deal with these useless children. Society stands by and encourages it... and then wonders why they didn't grow up all 'nice'.

And as for the parent who wrote in and complaint.... typical example of the idiotic role-models out there. If my child contributed to that, I'd accept the punishment, and enforce further punishment at home. Teach the child to have some decency please!!

'I'm very strict with my child about her treating other people with dignity and respect.

'They teach IT and computers in school but they should really be teaching them about what constitutes cyber bullying and the possibility of being drawn into it.'

duh?! It is your responsibility. You teach the child dignity and respect? but fail to teach them what constitutes bullying? insulting? mocking? Expecting the school to do your job is pathetic.

yeah... most of you agree with her... fine. I expect that from you.

A formal route? why not just go to your tutor... head of year.. or above? If you don't like a teacher, and you really want to make a complaint, it's not that hard to do so in a proper, respectful manner.

I would hardly consider this a cry for help... but more the whinging of some [immature] children.

You don't like a teacher? fine. We've all had teachers that we don't like. You talk with friends about that? fine. That's normal. Publishing it on these network sites and making an issue of it to this extent is really taking it too far and it is uncalled for!

I'm inclined to agree with this part of your post. The difficulty with online grading is that there's little in the way of official scrutiny, and it's wide open to abuse and misunderstanding: three or four pupils veheremently slagging off their teacher online could potentially damage that teacher's image in the eyes of parents, even though there's nothing to say the kids' abuse is justified, or that their opinion says nothing about that of the other pupils' regard for him or her. The danger is that the internet excells in portraying opinion as representative when it isn't, and that the pupils have little responsibility or obligation to deliver a fair and accurate evaluation.

Having said that, I do think to suspend the children is going a bit far. Much better would be a letter sent to parents explaining the situation.

I can't help thinking that the internet has simply replaced bus shelters. If you'd looked inside most of the bus shelters predominantly used by kids on their way to school in the mornings you'd have found similar comments scrawled there, this simply highlights the impact of social networking sites such as bebo, myspace and facebook and the changing trends in how kids communicate.

I would imagine if many parents saw the things posted by their kids on these sites they would be horrified, not just comments about teachers, but photographs and discussions about what's gone on at various parties etc. The kids post, knowing that the majority of parents won't be checking anyway. I only know because I was told to look out for some things there by some kids I was working with in the Young Achiever scheme.

Slagging off teachers isn't a new thing, there must be precedents and procedures in place to deal with this sort of thing. After all, didn't a lot of teachers sign up to the petition about the head at Castle Rushen!? Were they suspended?

So, sorry Dan, I agree wholeheartedly with your comment that this was not likely to be a cry for help, but I have to disagree that this is particularly bad because they posted on bebo/facebook/myspace. Those are the mediums they use to communicate. perhaps it does highlight the need for parents to be more aware of what their children are doing online, not simply assume that because they are safely tucked away in their bedrooms and not out on the streets at night, they are safe and can't come to/cause any harm.

Their actions were definitely wrong though.

The likelihood is, it's all lies anyway. Children make up a lot of crap about their teachers, and most whinging derives from the student being punished for something he/she stupidly did wrong. It's about time schools start to deal with these useless children. Society stands by and encourages it... and then wonders why they didn't grow up all 'nice'.

Pot-Kettle-Black and all that. You seem to get away with:

Joseph Smith who wrote the Book of Mormon did so by translating golden plates left by the last Nephite in America after being told where to find the golden plates by the angel Moroni. Joseph Smith translated the golden plates by putting the golden plates into a stovepipe hat and used "seer stones", which were apparently river stones that had holes worn through them to translate the plates. Of course no one could ever see the golden plates and he claimed to have hidden them so no one could read from them again.

Mormons believe the New Jerusalem will be in Missouri and that is where Jesus will come and rule for 1000 years.

Mormons wear "magic underpants". These undergarments are supposed to keep them safe. The magic underpants have masonic symbols embroidered into them, because Joseph Smith was also a freemason.

Are you wearing your magic underpants today Dan?

Archived