Cyber Bullying

Grianane

But have they "effectively published defamatory comments"?

I don't know, my "if" referred to this as well as identification of the culprits. One wonders why the page has been closed down though if it was harmless. Toilet wall comments can be removed on the basis of being graffiti alone - social websites are clearly not the same as that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But was it defamatory - has it been tested, it may have actaully been true in which case is the schools response seeking to avoid having to deal with an actualy problem- cause or effect.

I'd like to see them prove she was the worst teacher ever. And if they are unable to do so then it seems to be a defamatory comment. But maybe the spelling error could come to the rescue. They could argue that they meant to imply that she had an aptitude for sharing knowledge on Bavarian sausage making.

Indeed if she was an English Language teacher the spelling error - if it was an error - could go to prove that she may not be achieving the required level of performance expected of her - or just that her pupils are thick

Probably the latter - there's not that much teachers can do if you can't even spell 'worst' by the time you're in secondary school.

But have they "effectively published defamatory comments"? I don't get the use of effectively, either they've published or they haven't. I think that it is indeed publication, a grey zone i'll agree but if they're not published then they can't exactly be sued for libel so then do you try and claim slander in some kind of weird "transient publication" in the same way that speech is transient publication?

The next question is if they were actually defamatory, as has been stated it's the kind of toilet wall scribbling bus gossip stuff so it wouldn't damage the reputation of the teacher in question.

No such thing as bad children, only bad parents... If i had been caught scrawling on the walls or bus stop as a kid I would have to face the wrath of parents, and am sure if PCs were as prevalent as today the same would apply if I was caught cyber slagging - parents need to instill decency into the children, and the children need to know the channels if they want to complain - without fear of retribution. That said, I was a git, I was just careful to never get caught!!!

quote name='DjDan' date='Dec 12 2007, 12:15 AM' post='286936']

I know of a part time teacher (not at the school mentioned) who was training to be a full time teacher. She has just recently given up her training and her job because some students have been spreading lies about her.. and more so, have told the parents.

You refer to someone who clearly should not be considering teaching children if they don't have a thick enough skin. I'm sure it happens all the time. Kids can be awful childish you know. The clue is in the word.

I don't think this is just "normal" and something that we should accept and encourage as a way to bond with teenagers. If they have something to say, they can go through the proper channels and say it. Lying and spreading rumours on online networks like this destroyes the reputation of a teacher, and it is wrong.

They're kids. They're childish. That is what kids are. Here you seem to have a classic case of someone taking the hump because 13 years olds have made childish comments on the internet. I'm sorry but that is what 13 year olds do. You also mention that they should use the proper channels to complain - what do you suggest? Writing to their MHK? Doing a "Mr Angry" letter to the Examiner? Doing a full report for OFSTED?

They're kids. They're childish. That is what kids are. Here you seem to have a classic case of someone taking the hump because 13 years olds have made childish comments on the internet. I'm sorry but that is what 13 year olds do. You also mention that they should use the proper channels to complain - what do you suggest? Writing to their MHK? Doing a "Mr Angry" letter to the Examiner? Doing a full report for OFSTED?

Ah well... I've made my point.

You may well turn a blind eye to all this "childish" behaviour... but you have only yourselves to blame for the society today in which youths are becoming increasingly abusive, destructive and violent.

I think the difference between comments on the toilet wall and posting on the internet is that the toilet wall is only really seen by the other kids, and even then just the ones that share your gender. I hear the internet is a bit louder.

and the children need to know the channels if they want to complain - without fear of retribution.

That's just it "without fear of retribution" I know of adults who won't complain because they fear further harrassment/bullying from there manager, so I expect it would be extremely hard for a child.

. I'm sorry but that is what 13 year olds do.

Only a minority of them, who should suffer the consequences of their actions.

Interesting to see you take a hard line on the subject of insensitive comments being posted on a website.

Archived