Another One Bites The Dust [ash]

Grianane

Ramsey Hospital goes smoke-free

http://www.energyfm.net/news/bulletinstory7.htm

Ramsey Cottage Hospital has become smoke-free.

The move has been made ahead of an Island-wide smoking ban coming into effect early next year.

From 30th March, it'll be against the law to light up in a public building.

The hospital's also offering a support programme to patients who want help to quit.

Health Minister Eddie Teare says he fully supports the move.

He says it's important hospitals are smoke-free in order to protect staff, patients and visitors from the dangers of second-hand smoke.

On 1st April I shall be doing a pub crawl in Ramsey - I hope it is raining heavily and cold and windy, but I'll bring an umbrella in case I bump into Albert so he can shelter whilst he savours the death fumes whilst I enjoy the clear fresh air inside a local hostelry.

On 1st April I shall be doing a pub crawl in Ramsey

That would be your birthday bash I imagine.

actually yes....

Well enjoy.

This thread was about the hospital - but the fact that you seem to like to rub all this in, says a great deal more about you and your attitude to others like me, more than anything else IMO. Despite you trying to get me to bite - I am not entering into the smoking debate again - and am spending my time and effort in preparing for it. In the meantime many people have argued throughout for compromise and got nowhere.

Meanwhile, from April next year: regardless of whether it is raining I shall probably be enjoying myself playing poker with a bunch of mates in my newly decorated bar-dining room - whilst you witness the slow and painful decline and closure of around 20 island pubs - and everyone going outside (if the weathers good and if they can) and most smokers simply staying at home if its windy/raining. We plan to do our poker nights at alternative houses alternate weeks and are already geared up for this - which will probably take away £200 a week from pubs and save us a fortune through buying from the supermarket etc.

Having witnessed first hand the ban come-in in my 'local' when I was working across earlier this year - I saw what actually happened - with no sign of the raft of non-smokers who were expected to turn out after the ban - and now Mondays to Wednesdays most of the smaller pubs may as well close. Rainy/windy days - the punters halved from what used to turn up. With few pubs with outside facilities on the island, and England (and all of the national squads) out of of Euro 2008, it's going to be a very painful 2008 for most landlords on the island IMO. Dublin has the facilities - we do not - and few Douglas town pubs are in a position to be able to offer any outside facilities even if they wanted to.

Here, my money is on the Saddle closing first, possibly followed by the Clarendon and the Traf - the Bridge and the British becoming nothing but glorified restaurants, and nightclubs really suffering. Most retail businesses operate on a 10-20% profit margin, and with up to 20% of their custom staying away in the UK, or relying on the weather to plan an afternoon/night out, this will make life very difficult for many here where there are fewer facilities - but a great time to open an off-licence.

I don't drink in Ramsey - so I don't know how it will be affected - but I guarantee that it will be.

Hear Hear Albert

Bumped into a couple from across in the pub last weekend who were enjoying the (now) novelty of being able to light up.

They told me of pubs dying on their feet. in their home town. Apparently the sanctomonious smug bastards who said they would start patronising the pubs once the ban was implemented have never materialised (seems they were just more interested in spoiling other peoples enjoyment).

Although I am a vehement anti-smoker, I have to say that Albert's post makes a few reasonable points.

The Clarendon, Traf are due to go the way of the Waterloo regardless - flats/offices/yuppie development.

Regarding compromise. There actually is such a thing as a considerate smoker capable of at least a modicum of compromise but they are far, far outweighed by the selfish thoughtless dick heads. I don't want to be lured into another smoking thread either but I have to say in reply to The Voice of Reason that I have come across people from UK puffing away in the pub and exhaling excited bucketfulls. "Isn't this great" they gleamed. "No" I said.

Archived