[BBC News] Safety checks made on vehicles

Newsbot

Both moving and stationary vehicles will be inspected

I wonder what that means?

Mind you I must admit, after the clamp down they had on non functioning lights a couple of months ago, I noticed 8 vehicles with defective lights on my way to work, including a JCB with one brake light and a taxi with one brake light.

I don't know why the police bother with petty faults like lights not working - it would be a far better use of resources to concentrate on arresting and prosecuting speeding drivers. And why do they launch all these campaigns at this time of year? Haven't they got shopping to do?

Both moving and stationary vehicles will be inspected

I wonder what that means?

I assume that the Police and Vehicle Examiners will walk down a road visually inspecting vehicles which are parked on the road. Tyres, bodywork, tax etc can all be checked. If a vehicle is not "roadworthy" then the owner can be located, or the Police/Vehicle examiners can simply remove the vehicle to the Testing Centre for further examination. Police can also request the Insurance details of a vehicle parked on the road.

I don't know why the police bother with petty faults like lights not working - it would be a far better use of resources to concentrate on arresting and prosecuting speeding drivers. And why do they launch all these campaigns at this time of year? Haven't they got shopping to do?

Not all road safety is to do with speed. Lights may seem petty, but you wouldn't say that if you drove into the back of someone because their brake lights weren't working!

Think introducing road safety schemes around Christmas can be an excuse to stop people, to detect if they have been drink driving.

People should get into a regular habit (preferably daily, or at least weekly) checking P.O.W.E.R.

Petrol

Oil

Water

Electrics (i.e. lights/wipers)

Rubber

It's not rocket science and it takes only 5 minutes - and such a habit will eventually help you avoid an accident.

I'm surprised that many more Manx drivers driving in the UK don't return in boxes. Jeebus - I spend more than 5 minutes on the loo.

Archived