Is This Where All The Scallies Are Now

Grianane

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=12913

why target willaston, has it become the Douglas epicentre of vehicle and traffic crime

If you read the small print of the story it actually refers to the "Willaston area" - which is actually quite a big area probably bordering Johnny Wattersons lane up to Cronkaberry, Governor's Hill, the Grandstand area and Ballanard Road etc.

I don't like all these 'Xmas Special Offers' for the public - I'd rather see them just do it randomly all year round, at times varying from 7am to midnight+ and not say anything - other than 'it could be you or your area next week' - keeping everyone on their toes - and let the publicity of people caught by these random checks show this to be true. Even if you leave a small net out most of the year, you will still catch quite a lot of fish.

Announcing that you are targetting one area and when you are going to turn up - serves no purpose IMO other than to effectively demean the people of that one area and make people in other areas relax, when in actuality the police are there to police everyone and every area. Giving notice just means that people will move any 'dodgy' cars off-road or to their relatives' or a mate's area elsewhere - crime is crime so will they be announcing where the next drug raids will be targetted in advance? I don't think so - where would be the sense in that?

I think the idea is that people hear there are going to be spot checks so they make sure their car is roadworthy so if they do get stopped they'll have a clean bill of health

Log this initiative under 'prevention' as opposed to 'detection'.

Archived