Manx Workers

bluemonday

I have to say as a person who has worked around and near people from other countries its usually the english/manx worker that is constantly correcting the non english speaking peoples mistakes.

And this myth that the polish work harder than the locals is another lie i have seen them slacking off as much as the locals.

What is the point in taking on non english speaking people if you have to divert your other staff to correct thier mistakes ?

I have seen locals work harder than anyone its just down to the individual isnt it ?

What will happen and trust me it will is the polish will take as much as they can i know in london a lot of trades people and business's have gone to the wall because the polish worker only works to save money and send it home where the locals work to pay a mortgage and live in the area.

Give it 5 years and the local business community will start to see it, when the polish person you have been training goes into competition with you who will win ? the one who works for peanuts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say as a person who has worked around and near people from other countries its usually the english/manx worker that is constantly correcting the non english speaking peoples mistakes.

And this myth that the polish work harder than the locals is another lie i have seen them slacking off as much as the locals.

What is the point in taking on non english speaking people if you have to divert your other staff to correct thier mistakes ?

I have seen locals work harder than anyone its just down to the individual isnt it ?

What will happen and trust me it will is the polish will take as much as they can i know in london a lot of trades people and business's have gone to the wall because the polish worker only works to save money and send it home where the locals work to pay a mortgage and live in the area.

Give it 5 years and the local business community will start to see it, when the polish person you have been training goes into competition with you who will win ? the one who works for peanuts.

Are you working undercover for the Daily Mail?

I've picked out the spolling mistook, although your whole post was a mess in terms of the failure to capitalize and hyphenate things, let alone your ability to express ideas in a cogent fashion. People in glass houses... :whistling:

i know in london a lot of trades people and business's have gone to the wall because the polish worker only works to save money and send it home where the locals work to pay a mortgage and live in the area.

What a moronic statement. And you have the effrontery to talk about other people's lies and mistakes! Time for a remedial reading and writing class, methinks, and whilst you are about it, swot up on why it's wrong to tell porkies, and why hypocrites are generally held in contempt.

Haha is that all you can say, laughing at a few spelling mistakes ?

Just you wait, just you wait.

I guess you people have never been to the areas i have in the UK where a whole generation of people are struggling to get a job or a mortgage.

Do you travel much in the UK and see this ?

I do.

Seeing how one of the central themes of your post was that native English speakers are having to correct the errors made by people for whom it is a second language, it is not unreasonable for people to point out your own failings in that area.

I'm in 2 minds about it all. If you're destined to be in the same job, at the same kind of level then you probably wouldn't think twice about leaving bang on 5:30 every night. You don't get rewarded for your extra efforts, you work to pay the mortgage and you have to pay a contribution to your Christmas party. If you leave, there are plenty of people who could do the job just as well with a few weeks training. I wouldn't bother working outside my contracted hours for that.

There's also a degree of complacency I think. Does anyone have any fear of being sacked or made redundant? If it does happen, there are plenty of places that you could get a job.

I guess you people have never been to the areas i have in the UK where a whole generation of people are struggling to get a job or a mortgage.

I do.

I'm certainly not laughing. I think it is appalling that you criticize others for their deficiencies in English when you're unable to write coherently yourself. For the record, I use Americanized spellings because I'm required to write in American English for my current job.

I have lived in the Isle of Man, London and Prague and have worked throughout the UK and continental Europe. I currently work on a team that consists of Czechs, Slovaks, Hungarians, Poles, Romanians, Bulgarians, South Africans, and Canadians. Every one of my colleagues can form better English sentences than you.

Quite frankly I'm happy to be judged on my ability rather than where I come from.

I do.

Yes (travel) and no (see this).

I do see a lot of people who have lied to obtain a mortgage they can't afford, and have borrowed against the illusion that they are richer because their property is/was worth more than when they bought it. The UK is full of people living beyond their means, plumbers and others charging extortionately for shoddy work, and people who don't know the first thing about hard work. The chickens are now coming home to roost

Sebrof.

Are there really lots of Polish workers in the IOM?

I thought there was a reliable permit system that only allowed in the best workers when locals could not do the job.

One of the charms of the IOM is the lack of people.

Perhaps it is up to people like Clarkson, Gibb and me to buy up houses on the island and leave them empty most of the time, thus ensuring a lack of housing for opportunist working men, and as a consequence leaving the Island at an optimum level of population.

There's also a degree of complacency I think. Does anyone have any fear of being sacked or made redundant? If it does happen, there are plenty of places that you could get a job.

This is bang on. In the CSP sector, you get get a job in a trice if you don't like your existing post. There just aren't enough staff, so any warm body (almost) will do. A tight employment market will always lead to employee complacency, and so will a protected employment market

I thought there was a reliable permit system that only allowed in the best workers when locals could not do the job.

One of the charms of the IOM is the lack of people.

Perhaps it is up to people like Clarkson, Gibb and me to buy up houses on the island and leave them empty most of the time, thus ensuring a lack of housing for opportunist working men, and as a consequence leaving the Island at an optimum level of population.

The link below is the breakdown of people in the Isle of Man 2006

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/treasury/econom...sreport2006.pdf

With regards to buying up all the housing, you've got no chance of that, as a certain large house builder, probably owns all the land in the Isle of Man anyway (apart from King Dave) :P and if there's a spare foot of land, don't take your eyes of it, as there'll probably be a house on it next week. (only tongue in cheek guys) :D

Examiner 11th December.
REGARDING your recent feature on Polish workers settling in the Island.

We operate an expanding business within the finance sector and would not be able to operate without UK and Eastern European workers.

We have found that Manx workers are often so laid back and unwilling to go the extra mile that they can make themselves unemployable.

The exception to this is Manx workers who have spent some time working in the UK and have developed a work ethic. Quite often at 5.30pm there will be several empty seats and several people still on the telephone working.

The empty seats always belong to the locals who have never left the Island. Perhaps the nationalists should bare this in mind before criticising outsiders for taking their jobs

For those who think this attitude is fictitious and some kind of joke, then let me assure you I have experienced this idiology from a certain member of my own very Manks family. This person works for the DoT (on the quay), said exactly the same thing to me a few years ago.

Gladys is spot on in my opinion. well said.

ha! - very simple ways around that one...

Everywhere I have worked:-

30% of the workers do all the real work

40% do just enough to pick up their wage each month

and 30% do bugger all and drain the rest

and the other 25% are a mathematical enigma from an alternative planet

These are the Facts Of Work

Archived