[BBC News] Digital radio available on island

Newsbot

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can get freeview in Ramsey though.

Out of the two choices I know which I would rather

DAB for me any time.

Bought a DAB tuner a while ago and got a sporadic signal.

Now getting crystal clear BBC channels. Woo-hoooo.....

When the independent DAB channels start broadcasting I'll be as happy as a pig in muck.

No surprise that none of the three Manx radio stations are planning to go on to DAB. Presumably they will get off their lazy ar$es and go digital just before the next innovation in technology comes along.

Mind you, it's not surprising. Manx Radio were offering a DAB radio in a competition yesterday. If they are not going to go digital then this is just encouraging listeners to stop listening to Manx Radio and start listening to other channels.

Another 10 out of 10 for that one, Manx Radio.....

No surprise that none of the three Manx radio stations are planning to go on to DAB. Presumably they will get off their lazy ar$es and go digital just before the next innovation in technology comes along.

Far from being lazy, I think you'll find that neither Manx Radio, 3FM or Energy can afford the infrastructure to build a DAB network for the Isle of Man - even if they were just to cherry pick serving Douglas, like the BBC has.

As I understand it (and I'm not involved) Government has been asked to put in a DAB network so that all three local broadcasters can offer a local digital service. Last I heard, CoMin had decided to wait another 6 months before making a decision.

You can apologise about the lazy ar$es comment any time you like.

even if they were just to cherry pick serving Douglas, like the BBC has.

DAB has been available in many parts of the island for a few years. Much of the west and north for example - and almost everywhere on high ground. So it isn't "cherry picking", is it ? It's about them expanding coverage so that more people can get DAB coverage. Which is what many people will want.

Or maybe I've misunderstood your comment. It seems like you're suggesting some nefarious motive. Where as it seems to me that they're doing good. Making something which people want available to more people.

The point I'm trying to make is that as I understand it, proper all-island DAB coverage will take much more transmission infrastructure than the BBC has installed, and that the cheaper option for the Manx broadcasters to (say) co-fund something that only worked in Douglas would exclude over half of their listeners.

So Asian listeners outside Douglas (for example) won't be getting the benefits of DAB (I think the Asian network is one of the few BBC services that wasn't already freely available on analogue).

DAB might have been available for a few years on high ground and in the west and north. But that's just spill from transmitters serving other markets.

(I think the Asian network is one of the few BBC services that wasn't already freely available on analogue).

1 XTRA, 6 Music + BBC7 were not already available via analogue either. Woo hoo hoo eh?

Radio 7 is quite nice if you like (stuff like) endless Hancock. But it hardly justifies being a channel in itself. The BBC 'listen again' feature and podcasts are much more useful.

Via - the - internet is the way ahead for the delivery of additional pre programmed channels, on demand and time - shifted content. Same with TV for that matter: a handful of additional pre programmed channels doesn't offer many significant advantages.

DAB just seems like another way of doing what was already being done more or less adequately. I think that the IOM govt is right to wait and see. I hope that they keep putting it off until it becomes obvious the DAB is no longer really needed, already.

DAB just seems like another way of doing what was already being done more or less adequately. I think that the IOM govt is right to wait and see. I hope that they keep putting it off until it becomes obvious the DAB is no longer really needed, already.

Onchanguy: manx radio is digital already, online.

I agree, dab is a bit shit sadly, you're better off with FM generally. I'd rather manx radio put more dosh into greater bandwidth online than investing in DAB, currently MR's bitrate is way too low.

Archived