Lead Boot

John Barber

The Lead Boot

If there was an award for the most stupid statement in any of the manifesto’s for the 2006 General Election, then it would most assuredly go to the leaden booted Adrian Earnshaw, who, in a flight of pure fantasy, made the following statement, and I quote…..”We now have 7% of our energy provided free”, this from the “much maligned energy from waste plant”.

Well, given that the operating cost and license fee for the incinerator is several millions a year, and the damned place is so efficient that the offices rely on OIL FIRED central heating, you quickly start to get a grasp on the intellectual capabilities of the onetime Isle of Man Bank branch manager.

But, in this politically correct world, being a fool is not to be seen as any bar to climbing the greasy pole, so the author of the Brown Book (but that’s a whole other story of fantasy) put this inept, visionless jobs worth in charge of the Department of Tourism and Leisure, a department in desperate need of some visionary, inspirational and quite exceptional leadership.

In the recent debate in the keys regarding the future Peel Bay Festival the oleaginous Minister for the DTL resorted to a purely personalized attack on Mr. Jonathan Irving, and again I quote”Mr. Earnshaw said he had evidence that the festival organizer failed to pay a creditor on time, and suggested the loss of £750,000 on the 2007 festival was due to paying ‘over market values to secure acts’.” Manx Independent, December 14th, 2007

Would he have dared to make these comments outside the sanctuary of the House of Keys?

Another statement attributed to Earnshaw is as follows, ‘Mr. Earnshaw expressed doubt that the acts billed for the 2008 Festival - Brian Adams, Simply Red , Girls Aloud, Westlife, Duran Duran and possibly Snow Patrol were ever lined up.

‘All these acts were supposed to be coming, we don’t know whether they were or not, it’s all hearsay’. Manx Independent, December 14th, 2007

How could the organizers of the Peel Bay Festival possibly work with the DTL after these outrageous statements?

I seem to recall many such (hearsay) stories this year in the lead up to the Peel Bay Festival, this group, this band etc. were coming, no, they were not, he could never do it, no big names would bother to come to the Isle of Man.

Well, now we all know that Mr. Irving could do it, and he did!

Could it be that it’s hearsay that The Minister for the Department of Tourism and Leisure has a brain, has any possible qualification to hold the job he does while he rubbishes those who have made a truly significant effort to promote the best of and for the Isle of Man, or is he simply a marionette being operated by his boss, and under instruction to apply the lead boot!

Minister Earnshaw, launching the All New Isle of Man Holiday guide said “I am looking forward to an exciting year for tourism in 2008. The magazine (sic) highlights such events as the TT, Isle of Man Walking Festival, Adventure week, crown green bowling and darts festivals, all of which have been highly successful during recent years, and, indeed, we will continue to expand them”.

Q.E.D.

Such a visionary, shame he is looking backwards!

I seem to recall many such (hearsay) stories this year in the lead up to the Peel Bay Festival, this group, this band etc. were coming, no, they were not, he could never do it, no big names would bother to come to the Isle of Man.

Well, now we all know that Mr. Irving could do it, and he did!

Given enough money to throw at it any idiot could get big name bands over here. It's making it pay that's the problem. Anyway, it's been done to death in the other thread previously mentioned

I suspect that Mr Barber has significant connections to the west.

I believe that the majority of people on the island - even though they would like to have a festival of this kind - realise that a loss-making enterprise that did absolutely nothing for tourism is not something that the minister would be well advised to pursue.

Mr Earnshaw is a long way from being a dummy and, as far as I'm concerned, I would certainly prefer to trust his judgement in this matter rather than Mr Irving's.

I suspect that Mr Barber has significant connections to the west.

I believe that the majority of people on the island - even though they would like to have a festival of this kind - realise that a loss-making enterprise that did absolutely nothing for tourism is not something that the minister would be well advised to pursue.

Mr Earnshaw is a long way from being a dummy and, as far as I'm concerned, I would certainly prefer to trust his judgement in this matter rather than Mr Irving's.

...............and leisure? I know that thousands of Island residents who enjoyed the PBF as a welcome leisure initiative would certainly welcome it back, even with a contribution from the taxpayers. Or is leisure not within Mr Earnshaw's remit?

Incidentally, I do not live in the West or even know Mr Irving.

I repeat that I believe that hundreds of thousands are spent by government every year on projects that would make the public see red, were they to be made as aware of them as the Anti-PBF propaganda has made them of the PBF.

The PBF project is receiving no support because:

(a) It is not in Douglas

and

(b) It is in the public eye, therefore open to public scrutiny

and c) because it doesn't stack up either financially or as a credible alternative for locals to see bands.

Frankly, I would not pay the ticket price to see any of the bands that were over for this year's PBF. That being the case the PBF did nothing to broaden my entertainment choice. All very well saying it was an opportunity for locals to see bands without the cost and hassle of travelling; well, just as I wouldn't have travelled off island to see any of the acts this year, nor would I have paid the very high ticket price at the PBF.

As I have said before, I was originally very supportive of JI's endeavours, even though not must-sees for me, but recent events have jaundiced my view a little.

Archived