Burnout Paradise

Slim

It's a right old hoot. You get a bit of the city to roam around in, a bit like GTA but without the on-foot bits and in a decent racing engine. You have to find your challenges and stuff. City can feel a little empty of cars, but still, looks great, place nice, and the online stuff is very clever. Fun!

Tried it multi with some mates last night. Initially thought it was a bit 'meh'. Didn't really know what to do, just driving around making tits of ourselves, till we kind of realised that was the point. As such, its great fun, but sort of lacks focus if you're expecting to be led by the nose.

Downloaded this yesterday and it is pretty good.

The graphics are superb, seems to be a solid 60FPS with good draw distance and plenty of detail and cool effects.

Gameplay wise I'm not entirely convinced the Burnout game dynamic is going to fit into the freeform roaming element quite so well, (I thought the original NFSU was a whole load better than NFSU2 on the same basis), although it doesn't help that in the demo most of the events are off limits to you anyway, and the super psycho crashbreaker jobby is disabled too.

Moreover, it's going to be important to learn the map, because in true Burnout style you end up going so fast you damn near literally can't see where you're going some of the time, and have to survive on instinct and knowledge of where you are to survive.

They got away with it in Burnout Revenge 'cause the crash dynamics were so forgiving, but Paradise seems to be a little harsher.

All that negative and/or dubious stuff aside, I had an absolute blast with the demo and really enjoyed it, and I've loved every Burnout game to date anyway, so I'll definitely be buying this when it hits the shops - it'd almost be worth it just for the spectacular crash effects, the way your car crunches up and the windscreen smashes out and wheels come off and suchlike is a source of childish joy to me :D

• 1 month later...

Hated the demo.

I can't stand all this free roaming shite. The pick up and play element was what made the Burnout series so good.

I really don't want to be driving round a city looking for stuff to do, I think it is a gimmick that will wear off very quickly (it certainly did in Test Drive Unlimited)

On that basis I will not be buying, which is a pity as I have all the earlier versions

Hated the demo.

I can't stand all this free roaming shite. The pick up and play element was what made the Burnout series so good.

Same reason I didn't even bother trying the demo.

I hate most free roaming games, utterly dull.

Is there any sort of 'deathmatch' type option avec pals? I used to love a demo disc I had of twisted metal for the PS1 all those years ago, just shooting & blowing up/ramming your opponent over a beer or two. :)

Is there any sort of 'deathmatch' type option avec pals? I used to love a demo disc I had of twisted metal for the PS1 all those years ago, just shooting & blowing up/ramming your opponent over a beer or two. :)

Not quite. You can just drive around beating the shit out of each other, but there's no game structure around that. The Crash, Takedown, Revenge and Road Range modes have all been lost in this version too, so if beating the shit out of your mates is your bag, this isn't the game for you.

The multiplayer seems to centre around Racing, or showing off and dicking around.

So all the good bits have gone then and it is now just another racing game.

It's because it's a free roamer, so they've taken out those bits that aren't really doable in an open environment. They've, of course, added a whole bunch of other shit to compensate. It's definately not just another racing game because of it's open style and weirdy multiplayer with challenges mode. I quite like it, but I can see how burnout fans are upset. To be honest tho, if you want burnout 3, why not just play burnout 3.

I didn't much like the demo, but I've bought the full game anyway, as I refuse to believe Criterion would shag Burnout up that much, also, damned if they do and damned if they don't, if they'd just done Burnout 3 again but with nicer graphics, everyone would have been like, 'OMFG LAMERZ IT'S THE SAME GAME AGAIN!' So it's nice to see they've had the courage to do something different.

Won't be able to play it until Ride Jnr is in bed, so will report back later on.

Also, Gamesmaster is doing GTAIV pre-orders for £34.99, so I availed myself of that offer as well. (Plus you get Gamesmaster points worth about £2 as well, which brings the cost of GTAIV down to £32.99.)

Well then, the good news is, Burnout Paradise is absolutely fucking awesome.

I was intending to have a 'sneaky little look at it' this afternoon, which then went on until I got shouted at to attend to family duties.

So as soon as the little one was down in bed, it was back onto the game and I became almost scarily immersed in it.

It's still Burnout at heart, but there's this massive landscape to drive around right from the off, no 'extra bits' to unlock, the entire map is available right from the start, and it's a bloody complex map as well.

You can just dick around doing stunts and racing times and suchlike, or dip into any one of an (apparent) million different events there are to choose from.

Much has been made of the way that you can't just restart an event if you fail, you either have to drive back to the start, or pick something else. What I've found is that the events you fail, you remember, so if you're in the area again, you'll try it again, but otherwise, you'll simply go onto something else quite happily.

I've unlocked a few cars, explored a decent chunk of the map (already found 12 of the 20 billboards), and had an enormous amount of fun.

Some of the real good old stuff like Road Rage is still there (and the takedowns look almost impossibly gorgeous in HD glory), the Races are far more involved and frenetic because you're not simply being ferried down a set path (you plot your own route from A to B), new modes like 'marked man' work really well as you have a pack of killer cars on your tail, and there are burning routes, super jumps, and all sorts of other stuff to mess about with.

Also, the pause mode is one of the most wonderfully judged little slices of gaming I've ever seen.

It kicks in if you don't do anything for about 20 seconds, so if you've just finished a really gruelling race or particularly bruising road rage event, park your car up, and just wait - I guarantee you'll be relaxed in less than a minute......

Full marks to Criterion with this one, they've gone right out on a limb and totally mucked about with the Burnout formula, but for my money it's a winner, it still feels like Burnout, but it's Burnout - The New Improved Edition - making genuine use of the 360/PS3 hardware to deliver a game world that just wouldn't have been possible on the last-gen consoles.

They could have played it safe (which is what nearly every other game franchise has done) and simply done the same thing again but with nicer graphics, however, they've genuinely used the hardware to deliver a better game in every regard - so that's a doff of the cap in my book.

(Oh yes, the soundtrack is really good too, you can't knock a game that chucks up Faith No More, Soundgarden, Adam & The Ants, and then Beethoven.......)

Archived