[BBC News] Man charged with drug possession

Newsbot

This makes me happy that they have nothing better to report on.

I would prefer this type of news to be making our headlines to "14 year old stabbed in playground" or "15 dead in shoprite shootout"

Think ourselves lucky ;)

"15 dead in shoprite shootout"

thats it steal my thunder. Announce the news before i do it.

I can see into the future "Oh no, a man with a gun, oh dear god he is about to......oooo Carling at 12 quid a pack"

Last I knew it was still a crime.

Quite.

A crime is a crime.

Adulterating saffron was a crime punishable by death at one time

Taking MDMA only became a crime in 1978 so for seventy years no-one gave a toss

So certain activities may be conisidered a crime at some time and yet be not worth bothering with at others

Laws change all the time and we should question and challenge them rather, than blindly obey

Last I knew it was still a crime.

Quite.

A crime is a crime.

Adulterating saffron was a crime punishable by death at one time

Taking MDMA only became a crime in 1978 so for seventy years no-one gave a toss

So certain activities may be conisidered a crime at some time and yet be not worth bothering with at others

Laws change all the time and we should question and challenge them rather, than blindly obey

No one is doing that, rather they are saying that it is unreasonable to criticise the police and judicary for prosecuting a criminal. Whether or not this should be crime is neither here nor there, as the responsibility to prosecute remains.

The police and the attorney general's office may decide whether to prosecute or not depending on how the stats may look in the annual report

Prosecuting someone for having a bit of pot is clearly a waste of taxpayers money

Those deserving of a good nicking do not always get one. The directors of the SIB bank had it away with £44 million of investors money but the trial (in Port Erin) was abandoned because it would not be cost effective

Stealing hundreds of peoples life savings is a nasty crime deserving a severe punishment, but the perpetrators of that crime remain free and prosperous

Conversely a single mum on benefits may get jailed for fraud for having her boyfriend stay over more than two nights a week

So don't try to simplify thing down to: " a crime is a crime"

Nothing is black or white: Question, Challenge, Change, or die on your knees

Prosecuting someone for having a bit of pot is clearly a waste of taxpayers money
It depends how much a "bit" is. If it is a very small piece that they were using in a spliff etc then fair enough. However, if they have the money, they could of bought a large amount (£500 worth) as it is more cost effective (especially if they bought it in the UK and then got it into the island). If there is no evidence that they are selling it to others then the Police can't go for Supplying, simply possession.

What about the cost of actually finding the stuff? How much does it cost to search a house, 4 officers minimum, a dog, two vans, equipment and paperwork. Now if the perpetrator was made to pay the cost of that, let's say £1400 for the above exercise they may think twice before putting money into the pocket of a drug dealer and perpetuating the trade in illegal and dangerous drugs on this island. That's where the real cost is. Hit them hard for the smallest amount and they might not buy it again. I fail to see the logic of the government putting up the cost of cigarettes to deter people from smoking, legally, but not multiply the fines by 10 to deter the illegal drugs trade.

Archived