Capital Of Culture

Pat Ayres

In some two weeks Liverpool will become the 'European capital of culture'.

Has anyone ever seen anything remotely cultural in Liverpool? And can you explain what advantage it will be to Toxteth or Crosby?

I would imagine that they now have nice new patio's and granite edging stones knocked off from the citys pavements!

Has anyone ever seen anything remotely cultural in Liverpool?

Plenty going on. Here's an event calender for you:

http://www.liverpool08.com/Images/LCCL_07_...cm79-108107.pdf

I'm no big fan of Liverpool myself as a city, but to say it has no culture is a bit short sighted, but I guess it all stems from what your opinion of culture is.

In some two weeks Liverpool will become the 'European capital of culture'.

Has anyone ever seen anything remotely cultural in Liverpool? And can you explain what advantage it will be to Toxteth or Crosby?

There was definately some kind of culture growing on the ham sandwich I bought from the cafe by Lime St

Gave me the galloping trots for a week

Its very easy to poke fun and resurrect all the old sterotypes - the ablity to laugh at ones self is what makes Liverpool a unique cultural place but what about:

• Fantastic modern and traditional architecture
  • More listed buildings than any part of UK other than London
  • A musical tradition stretching back over 5 decades with more #1 records by artists from the area than any other in the country
  • Two of the finest art galleries in the country (Walker, Tate)
  • Three museums
  • The RLPO
  • Two catherdals (biggest gothic catherdal in the world and a fine example of the best of post war modern architecture)
  • Hotbed of worldwide culture (oldest china town in country, Irish centre, Greek/Swedish churches, Jews area/Synagoge, Somali community)
  • Everyman, Playhouse theatres,
  • Three universities
  • More public parks and green space than any other metropolitan area in UK
  • More TV/Movies than anywhere outside London (eg, Brookside, Liverpool 1, Zcars, Liverbirds, 51st State, Letter to Brechnev etc)
  • Historic Albert Dock
  • Tradition of social welfare (1st city health officer, 1st public wash houses, School of Tropical medicine, 1st school for the blind)

Will that do for starters??

Its very easy to poke fun and resurrect all the old sterotypes

I'm on Liverpool's side in this, but some of the things you've said simply aren't true, or are a bit ropey as definitive hallmarks of "culture" (in the sense that the European Capital of Culture thing means it).

More listed buildings than any part of UK other than London

This is true, but is mainly made up of grade III buildings. Bristol, Oxford, and Bath all have more grade I listed buildings (in fact Bath and North east somerset, despite having a much smaller population have vastly more listed buildings in total than Liverpool: 6,400 to 2,400)

Two catherdals (biggest gothic catherdal in the world and a fine example of the best of post war modern architecture)

This is just false - the biggest gothic cathedral in the UK is York Minster, the biggest in the world is Cologne

More public parks and green space than any other metropolitan area in UK

I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps if you include the Merseyside forest, but other cities are said to have proportionately more green space as a part of its urban area: Proportionately, Bristol has the most green space in the UK.

Ok, just to correct myself.

The Liverpool Anglican Cathedral is:

• Largest Anglican Cathedral in the world
  • The World's fifth largest cathedral
  • Has the highest and heaviest peal of bells in the world
  • Has the highest gothic arches in Britain
  • 2nd longest cathedral in world (205 metres)

(ref Liverpool Cathedral Handbook)

I'm not going to argue about square footage in relation to open space but Prince's Park was the first privately sponsored park to be given to public and Birkenhead Park (not strictly Liverpool I know) was the first park created by public funds and the inspiration for Central Park NY.

You can add to my list:

A town hall with a Reception Room that Edward V11 compared to the Winter Palace St Petersburg

The world's first Cast Iron Church (St Georges, Everton)

A magnificant public library (first purpose built in Britain and at the time the largest)

Fantastic "cultural" pubs (The Glasshouse, The Phil, etc)

My point is that on many, many levels LIVERPOOL can qualify proudly as Capital of Culture:

• Music both popular (Beatles, La's, Zutons etc) and classical (RLPO)
  • Art (Tate, Walker)
  • History (Slave trade, shipping, emigration)
  • Architecture
  • Performing Arts (Playhouse, Everyman, Willy Russell, Phil Readman etc)
  • Popular Culture (Football, horse racing, Ken Dodd, etc etc)
  • Diverse cultural groups
  • Scouse Culture itself

Too many people are quick to scoff without really understanding what is really available in Liverpool

My point is that on many, many levels LIVERPOOL can qualify proudly as Capital of Culture:
  • Music both popular (Beatles, La's, Zutons etc) and classical (RLPO)
  • Art (Tate, Walker)
  • History (Slave trade, shipping, emigration)
  • Architecture
  • Performing Arts (Playhouse, Everyman, Willy Russell, Phil Readman etc)
  • Popular Culture (Football, horse racing, Ken Dodd, etc etc)
  • Diverse cultural groups
  • Scouse Culture itself

Too many people are quick to scoff without really understanding what is really available in Liverpool

I agree with you, Liverpool and what it has to offer is often overlooked, but to be fair a lot of this is probably due to the near 40 years or so of decline the city saw after the second world war.

Bristol's still miles better than it though ;)

Archived