[BBC News] Ferry numbers up despite changes

Newsbot

The easy way around this is to use a debit card instead.

I hate how I seem to be defending the Steam Packet at every turn, but grievances like this are a bit ridiculous.

Some sharks charge for debit cards as well.

Nice to see that you seem to be sorry for defending the Packet. Those Australian bankers appear to be turning the whole outfit into an utter shambles.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to see that you seem to be sorry for defending the Packet. Those Australian bankers appear to be turning the whole outfit into an utter shambles.

I'm not sorry for defending the Steam Packet against ill-considered abuse, just that I feel should do it to add some balance to a debate that rarely moves beyond statements like 'those Australian bankers appear to be turning the whole outfit into an utter shambles' despite little, if any, supporting evidence and in the face of numerous facts pointing the contrary.

I'm not sorry for defending the Steam Packet against ill-considered abuse, just that I feel should do it to add some balance

Who in their right minds would rebuild an insurance write-off? Oh, it's alright, it will be repainted and renamed, so it will look new, rather than like a 17 year old wreck.

But at least they've seen anough sense not to try and run one of the aluminium tubs in the winter (except they will have to try this when Ben is in dock for her survey in February, as they have no decent ship they can operate then)

I'm not sorry for defending the Steam Packet against ill-considered abuse, just that I feel should do it to add some balance to a debate that rarely moves beyond statements like 'those Australian bankers appear to be turning the whole outfit into an utter shambles' despite little, if any, supporting evidence and in the face of numerous facts pointing the contrary.

FFS How much evidence do you need? (Chants) Are you Woodward in disguise?

FFS How much evidence do you need? (Chants) Are you Woodward in disguise?

I would like to see any, frankly. All the posts I've read in this and the other Steam Packet thread that criticise it are either anecdotal or imaginary.

Even TravelWatch's only problems with the Steam Packet are that you can get tickets cheaper online than at the desk and that the pricing structure is sometimes unclear. Those issues I can understand. I may disagree with them in some respects, but at least they are reasonable. This is not the case with the people who claim there has been a massive decline in the quality of service under the User Agreement.

I would like to see any, frankly. All the posts I've read in this and the other Steam Packet thread that criticise it are either anecdotal or imaginary.

Mine aren't. I suggest you re-read the threads.

Well, in this thread you say you found it was cheaper to book at the Sea Terminal than online; hardly a sign the company is in disarray.

In the petition thread, your analysis of comments is interesting, but useless given that it does not suggest a trend towards greater dissatification based on quantifiable evidence. What I mean by this is that just because people being annoyed by something is not the same as there being a genuine problem, or that a problem has worsened. I do not get the impression on this forum that the SP has been much loved at any point in the last 15-20 years. Then you look at the timetable, which although it does seem sub-optimal to a large number of people is hardly unreasonable, and the fact that passenger numbers have not declined suggests that people have not found it impossible or even difficult to travel.

You then bring up the 'life line' argument, which is problematic in that the Liverpool route has not, in recent times at least, constituted part of this. Furthermore, someone involved in freight has said that the Benn is in fact the best freighter they have ever had, so I don't consider this particular argument to be very strong. Then you have a few rather posts where you insist, vaguely, that wider issues are involved than just the winter timetable. I agree with you, but you don't go into detail about what these are.

That is from the first half of the pages or so in that thread, and although your posts are often very interesting, you don't raise any strong points against the Steam Packet.

Clearly a lot of people are concerned that the Steam Packet is responsible to its shareholders rather than the people who rely on it, but this is a reality of the World we live in and would be the case whoever was operating the service, short of full state ownership or it being run by a trust. Neither of these is going to happen any time soon, but regardless, the 'life line' is reliably and consistently maintained by the Benn under the current system.

Anecdotal - "refers to evidence based on reports of specific individual cases"

Crashing boats, confusing pricing structures, extortionate fares, the TT debacle, boats not fit for purpose, overpriced catering etc etc..... all imagined? Like Albert says read the thread.

Crashing boats
In fairness the Company has an excellent safety record. Accidents happen, but thankfully very rarely. Also, if you read the report into the incident, the SP vessel has been apportioned little 'blame' as such. The important thing is to learn from such incidents.

confusing pricing structures
Perhaps they are not easily understood by some, however, prices are scaled according to demand and priority of booking. Just like every other travel operator. Maybe you're just thick?

extortionate fares
The fares are lower, nay much lower, in real terms than 15 years ago. If you have proof to the contrary, let's see it.

The TT debacle
The PR / Communication was handled appallingly, there can be no argument. However, they did carry an extraordinary amount of traffic.

boats not fit for purpose
The Ben is arguably one of the best (in terms of being fit for purpose)vessels that the Company has had in recent years. The reliability is astounding. If we are referring ot 'Fast' craft, then there may be a case to say that the Irish Sea is not the ideal ground for them. Again, this needs to be balanced against people wanting faster crossing times. In 1996 they withdrew the first SeaCat and had the Lady and King Orry all year. There were numerous complaints and calls at all levels for fast craft to return. Rock and a Hard place maybe. I know there are other types of faster craft available nowadays. Let's see what the stipulated investment brings over the next few years.

overpriced catering
No argument that it's expensive, but it always has been costly to eat in such establishements, where a captive market is in play. And you are not forced to buy from there should you choose not too.

There is always room for improvement, but avoid the petty 'same old shit' and your valid point (if you have any, may become clearer).

And just because others share a different opinion, or like to consider the facts - regurgatating the same old shit about being Woodward in disguise, or being on the payroll just backs up the weakness of your ability to argue a reasoned opinion.

And just because others share a different opinion, or like to consider the facts - regurgatating the same old shit about being Woodward in disguise, or being on the payroll just backs up the weakness of your ability to argue a reasoned opinion.

And suggesting that people sharing a different opinion are " maybe just thick" does little to enhance your credibility.

Archived