Brass Band Outside

slinkydevil

Ah! I was playing in the band tonight. Glad you enjoyed it slinky and Mr S.

Tonight for some reason, there were certainly more people than in previous years at their front doors even though it was quite cold out. There was a great atmosphere - cheers.

Hope to see a few forum folk about on Friday night when the band do the Douglas pubs. A few restaurants and bars along the Promenade.

Beer, brass bands and carols do mix rather well!

Happy Christmas!

Many years ago, my dad used to play in St Matthew's brass band (1920s or 30s) and they used to go round the pubs on Christmas Eve. At most of them, especially the many that were on the quayside, they'd be invited in for a drink. Usually, they'd take it in turns, with 4 or 5 accepting the offer at each hostelry. It ended up being close to a case of 'last man standing,' with the quality of music steadily declining throughout the evening. :D

I remember the band coming up to play by us when i was little, can't remember seeing them up there in a while though. I also remember them playing the star wars music in Douglas town centre last year when a couple of guys dressed as storm troopers went past them, i don't think i've laughed so hard all year!

I went to my girlfriends last weekend and they had Father Christmas come round on a trailer giving out free gifts, the rest of the family couldn't believe that it doesn't happen on the IoM...apparently it happens everywhere else.

I didn't like to point out that the only person aged under 18 in the street was her 15 year old sister who was out at the time so it was pointless anyway.

Archived