Surround Sound For My Games Consoles

Virtual_Boy

Have been looking for a surround sound system for use with my Wii, 360, PS3 and Sky+ but seems most systems only have 1 of each input i.e. 1 optical, 1 coaxial, 1 HDMI etc.

Does anyone know how your supposed to connect multiple devices without a seperate switchbox?

Have been looking for a surround sound system for use with my Wii, 360, PS3 and Sky+ but seems most systems only have 1 of each input i.e. 1 optical, 1 coaxial, 1 HDMI etc.

Does anyone know how your supposed to connect multiple devices without a seperate switchbox?

You'd have to look at getting some sort of proper amp, your bog-standard "consumer" surround systems won't ordinarily feature more than a couple of each input (if that).

Take this one for example (purely as an example, I'm not saying you'd have to spend £600 on the amp alone):

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.ph...d=CAMB-640R-BLK

And in close-up, you can see it has six optical inputs and three HDMI inputs:

http://www.richersounds.com/showbigproduct...me=303666-1.jpg

That's the area of the market you'll probably have to be looking in, a proper amp and speaker setup, not some £200 all-in-one jobby from Overclockers.

You don't need to spend £600...£200 will do. You're not going to use your Wii, 360, Sky and PS3 at the same time. Get an optical splitter for the ps3 and 360, have the sky on direct and the Wii...well, throw that in the bin. Alternatively, use the coax.

There you have it. Simple button press when you switch between consoles etc. Something like this will work!

If my TV has an optical out and I plug it into my surround sound does that mean I will get the sound from which ever source is being used at the time?

Yep, but it'll only be as good as the input from the source in question to your telly, and your telly will have to pass through the full 5:1 signal to its optical out for you to get the surround into your surround system.

(So if you've got something feeding into your telly using stereo phono jacks, then the optical out from the telly will just be stereo.)

Spending £600 on an amp is definitely the best overall solution.

Some devices Sky, Xbox etc still may give an optical out when on standby, so an optical splitter would be useless in these cases, you would have to power the device down completely.

However, you don't need to spend £600 on an amp, you could get a semi decent amp for less than £150 that will switch component & audio sources - Yamaha amp

Few quid more Denon amp, few quid more again + has hdmi inputs Denon amp.

Sony with HDMI - £250!

Like the look of this Yamaha - can stream media straight from your PC.

Of course, after you've added an active sub & satellites you're looking nearer £600.

Archived