[BBC News] Cold remedies 'pose driving risk'

Newsbot

There are loads of over the counter medicines which can cause drowsiness and so impair the ability to drive, particularly if taken with alcohol. They are labelled as such and include remedies for:

Cough

Hayfever

Worm treatments

Analgesics

Anti-nausea treatments

Medicines for gastrointestinal upsets

Also of course so do many medicines which are prescribed by the doctor.

It is vital that you read the instructions before taking any medicine; this includes the leaflet inside the box as well as the information on the outside of the packaging.

If you are taking medication that can cause drowsiness you should not drive or operate machinery.

If you have any queries or are unsure you should ask your pharmacist or doctor before taking any medicine.

This is serious advice and anyone who ignores it is risking not only their own well being but also other road users and pedestrians.

There are loads of over the counter medicines which can cause drowsiness and so impair the ability to drive,

I've noticed more ones now seem to include certain ingredients that have the exact opposite effect as well.

Not sure if that would really affect your driving adversely, although it might increase the odds of road rage or driving quicker! :huh:

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine taking a flu rememdy that cause drowsiness and then being involved in an accident (whether drowsy or not) would be sufficient grounds for your insurance to refuse to pay up.

***NEWS FLASH***

Driving whilst sober and totally awake could lead to an accident!!

IOM Government statistics show that driving a car or, in fact, using Manx roads at all is potentially dangerous, even if you had a good night's sleep and are totally sober.

An IOM Government study over an eleven year period has shown that people using Manx roads regularly have collisions when sober and totally awake. Reasons given for these collisions include inappropriate use of speed, driving in the dark without lights. Driving in the fog without lights. Some collisions were evven caused by sober people crashing into parked cars!!!

An official was heard to say that Manx road users over this 11 year period actually stood a 1 : 8000 chance each year of being killed on the roads!!!

***NEWS FLASH***

Driving whilst sober and totally awake could lead to an accident!!

IOM Government statistics show that driving a car or, in fact, using Manx roads at all is potentially dangerous, even if you had a good night's sleep and are totally sober.

An IOM Government study over an eleven year period has shown that people using Manx roads regularly have collisions when sober and totally awake. Reasons given for these collisions include inappropriate use of speed, driving in the dark without lights. Driving in the fog without lights. Some collisions were evven caused by sober people crashing into parked cars!!!

An official was heard to say that Manx road users over this 11 year period actually stood a 1 : 8000 chance each year of being killed on the roads!!!

Well spotted. And having certain medication on top of that increases the risk of that happening.

Which is what the thread is about don't you know.

Can you actually still but remedies that make you drowzy?

Nothing better than passing out for a decent night's kip after Night Nurse and a large hot scotch when one is suffering from man flu

**but obviously not drivng round whilst passed out**

Yes! You can buy them. For instance Nytol one-a-night caplets contain the active ingredient diphenhydramine, which is a type of medicine called a sedating antihistamine.

Diphenhydramine enters the brain in significant quantities and causes drowsiness. It decreases the time taken to fall asleep and increases the depth and quality of sleep. This makes it helpful for the temporary relief of sleeping difficulties.

If you use this medicine for long periods of time you may become tolerant to its effects and it may become less effective at aiding sleep. So prolonged use is not recommended. If you have continued trouble sleeping, you should consult your doctor for advice.

And don't drive when using them.

I think my granny mentioned this to me over 30 years ago. Countless folk down at the pub and at my work have told me this over the years too.

I wonder how many people have ever been convicted on the Isle of Man of driving under such influence? 1? Maybe 2? Who knows, but as long as our police are dreaming up ways to get in the news and show they are doing something worthwhile for their pensions then all is well, eh.

Anyway, I shouldn't knock it. It must be important because none other than the BBC have told us about it. They've even got a reporter or two over here to let us know.

P'raps Stu could do an article on Manx Radio's Mandate about it. Interviews with concerned doctors and traffic cops and a few governmental statititions would go down rather well.

I take your point but lives are messed up with these medicines as well as the harder ones - possibly more as you can go to any supermarket these days!

Archived