Another Examiner Letter.

Joe Public

Is it much different than it was 20 years ago.....everyone says that there is nothing for kids to do on the Island these days, but was there ever that much more for them.

No, there wasn't. I'd spend my evenings playing football in the summer, playing computer games and watching films with mates.

Glad I'm not the only one who has thought this when the old canard about there being nothing on the Island for kids these days. It's true of many other places as well, including fairly large cities: some of the most popular activities for kids in Bristol seemed to be aimlessly wandering around the town centre or skateboarding and hanging about around college green, despite the existence of skateparks and all the other amenities some seem to think will magically solve boredom amongst kids.

The fact of the matter is that a large proportion of childhood, especially the teenage years, is spent being bored due to the fact that you have masses of time on your hands.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the centre of Oxfordshire but I don't whinge about how I can't see the sea from here*. If you choose to live somewhere then what is the point in moaning about it? It's no surprise to anyone that the Island doesn't have a Trafford Centre or a ten screen multiplex.

*Actually, I whinge about it constantly, but that is contrary to the point I'm trying to make, so I won't mention it further.

God we sound like a right bunch of old fogies dont we....but I still stand by the fact that being bored is for the lazy. There are plenty of clubs and assocations that you can get kids involved in, problem is most of them cant be arsed!

The original letter writer sounds like a bit of a whiner to me, and the person who posted about having the money to be able to go to an ice-rink, multiplex every day of the week has got a valid point.

What happened to the days when listening to music or reading a book wasnt a decent enough way to spend an evening....

I was never bored as a kid either - and this was LONG before computer games and personal stereos etc. Did the usual stuff like (unsuccessfully) chase girls at a youth club miles away (kept me fit) rode my pushbike and later motorbike for hours, and was quite happy just messing around aimlessly. Never in an unruly gang, and never in an antisocial way.

She misses the point that the 'good' stuff in the UK was in the nearby city, NOT in her lovely quiet village. Douglas tries to be both, but with a relatively tiny population that doesn't justify the facilities that a city could. It's all basic economics, which most moaners can't or won't grasp. Mr Irving wanted a rock festival, but the Island can't afford one. I'd like to see an F1 race along Douglas Prom and up Prospect Hill, but THAT'S never going to happen either - the numbers don't add up. I can cope with the disappointment...

Everywhere has compromises - I wouldn't swap living here for anywhere...and if I would, I'd just move.

Simple innit?

Kids these days don't do some of things we used to because of the "nanny state" we now live in. We used to go climbing on rocks without having to consider any risk. Mind you, I did nearly fall to me death on more than one occasion.

Parents are guilty of wrapping up their kids in cotton wool - myself included - I'm afraid that's the way it is these days.

Some genuine comments from members of the public that might seem relevant....

"Since the 1980s so much has been taken away from the kids that what they do now is hang around town drinking, then get branded yobs; who's fault is it if they have nothing else to amuse themselves? The problem with this island is, it has gone so money mad it's forgotten what life’s really about, these so called yobbos are our future, if you don't give nothing, don’t expect nothing."

"I was born and bred here and every time I come home the violence is worse. I’m starting to hear horrific things (assaults, gang fights etc) happening in the dear haven that I call home.

I live in one of the most dangerous places in London and keep my wits about me. I now have to use this same caution when I go out in here - its stupid!!! It may not be as dangerous as places in the UK but its not supposed to be. It used to be safe and now its not!! Something needs to be done!"

"Personally, I think it's down to the education system. I'm glad to have been educated in an island that is, on average, more intelligent than the mainland. But the level of political correctness employed by the U.K government (and ignorant parents) that we've had to adopt has meant that apart from a stern word, teachers have no control over kids who NEED to be controlled. I'm not saying corporal punishment is right, and by no means do I believe in bringing back the cane, but 10 years ago when I was in these kids positions, I wouldn't dream of talking back to an adult, never mind a teacher. Older students would command obedience and would obtain it. It's a shame the way things are going to be honest. ASBO's have been suggested, but in all honesty, it's used by youths as a badge of honour, not a deterrent. Of course, if I had to resort back to a narrow-minded, short-sighted point of view...they all need a damn good kicking."

Except that....

they've all been lifted from a site about Jersey!

The decline of the Tourist industry on the Island has not been of help to the children. In years past the children could take up work during the holidays and would end up to tired to just go out drinking and causing problems. The tourist season would run from easter to the end of September and this industry created entertainment for all to take part in day or night, some businessess would carry on into the winter months on the back of profits made during the season, sadly this has all gone. As a child I worked at White City during the holidays and at nights and weekend after school, this is not allowed now.

During the winter months we would have youth clubs, swimming clubs five a side plus other activities and in most case using the existing tourist venues. How many children of today have jobs out of school time, not many most now rely on the hand outs from their elders, whats the going rate now for pocket money for a 15 year old.

Can any of you remeber all the kids riding up and down the prom on the old butchers bikes during the summer and at weekends, kids of today would not be able to hold one up. One for sale here if you would like to try it out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Butchers-Bike-or-Tra...2QQcmdZViewItem

Well this is great at last people seeing that the island is not the paradise some seem to see it.

I am Manx unlike most people and i see good and bad things with the island.

The only way we can really improve things and move on is to "take on board the CRITICISM".

I personally have only had possitive things to say about my travels in the UK and the people who seem to moan about it are probably the ones who never really see both sides of the story.

The isle of man has a big drugs problem, you only have to read the paper to realise it.

Part of the reason is the kids fall into drugs as a way of escape from the boring way of life they feel the isle of man offers.

What i would prefer to see is more services for the youths, like a drop in centre where they can meet up with friends and spend a few hours safe and having fun.

Years ago we called them youth centres and every town had one, a different night for each age group.

That way they escape the play station and learn to have fun with out pressing buttons.

All the island makes from business yet it cannot give any back to the kids.

Put the tax up to pay for it, i would have no problems there. :D

Thats not a bad point actually....I used to work for a local ice cream firm and spent a great number of my summers either in the factory or out driving the van delivering to hotels, ice cream outlets and the like. It kept me busy during the day and a few quid in my pocket to head out in the evenings.

It looks quiet on the drug front in Ledbury:

Police announce details of drug arrests

Below is a detailed breakdown of the arrests made during Operation Nucleus.

On Monday, December 3: a 45-year-old Hereford man was arrested as he got off a bus from Gloucester on suspicion of possession of a Class A drug with intent to supply. He was released on bail until January 16, 2008.

On Wednesday, December 5: a 31-year-old man from Ledbury was arrested after his vehicle was stopped on Ledbury bypass. He was charged with possession of cannabis and possession of an offensive weapon and is due to appear before Hereford Magistrates; Court on December 19.

advertisement

On Wednesday, December 5: a 28-year-old man from Hereford was arrested on suspicion of possession of crack cocaine after a vehicle was stopped on the A438 at Tarrington. A subsequent search of a house in Hereford found 50 cannabis plants and cultivation equipment. The man was bailed until February 1, 2008. While conducting the search of the premises, a 50-year-old Leominster man was arrested on suspicion of possession of heroin and cannabis. He was also bailed until February 1, 2008.

On Wednesday, December 5: a car was identified by ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) technology as being stolen and was subsequently stopped by police on the A417 close to the M50. A 33-year-old Worcester man was arrested on suspicion of stealing a motor vehicle and subsequently handed over to another police force.

On Wednesday, December 5: an informal warning was also given to another man arrested at the roadside for possession of a small amount of cannabis.

On Thursday, December 6: a car was followed by a police vehicle and stopped on the A44 at Bromyard and the 45-year-old driver from Bromyard was arrested for possession of heroin with intent to supply and driving without insurance. Also arrested on suspicion of intent to supply heroin were three other occupants of the car - a 33-year-old from Kington, a 28-year-old from Eardisland and a 25-year-old from Leominster. All four men from the car have been released on bail until February 7, 2008.

On Friday, December 7: a 17-year-old from Church Stretton, Shropshire, was arrested by officers from British Transport Police at Hereford Railway Station on suspicion of possession of cannabis and possession of an as yet unknown controlled drug, plus a public order offence. He was bailed until February 27, 2008.

On Friday, December 7: a car was stopped by West Mercia officers on the A417 at Staunton, Gloucestershire and a 33-year-old Cradley man arrested on suspicion of possession cannabis. He was charged to appear before Hereford Magistrates' Court on December 19. A second occupant of the car, a 31-year-old Ledbury man, received a caution for possession of non-prescribed methadone.

On Friday, December 7: a car was stopped on the A417 at Newent and two people arrested on suspicion of possession of a Class A drug with intent to supply. A 26-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman, both from Hereford, were released on bail until February 13, 2008.

In addtion to these arrests, on the afternoon of Wednesday, December 5, three people were arrested by Gloucestershire Constabulary on suspicion of possessing class A drugs. A 23-year-old Lydney man, a 22-year-old Lydney man and a 29-year-old Coleford man were arrested after being stopped on the A40 and the A48 at Churcham. Two are now on police bail until January 14 and the other is on bail until December 19.

A variety of drugs, amounts of cash and a stolen vehicle were seized during the course of the operation.

10:02am Tuesday 11th December 2007

Someone slags off the island so someone goes 'private investigator' on where they live? Bit defensive :P

I don't get what the interest in these letters are really, they don't suggest anything and it's more of a one-up session about who's got the better quality of life.. If it works for them, fine.

Part of the reason is the kids fall into drugs as a way of escape from the boring way of life they feel the isle of man offers.

What i would prefer to see is more services for the youths, like a drop in centre where they can meet up with friends and spend a few hours safe and having fun.

Years ago we called them youth centres and every town had one, a different night for each age group.

They have these, they're called Play Clubs (primary school), Youth Clubs (lower secondary) and Special Projects (older again - someone will be able to tell me which years!). They are all around the Island and run by the IOM Youth Service.

She goes to live in a rural village with less than 9000 residents and she's surprised it's quieter than here? Perhaps she should try living in a city centre somewhere to get a more accurate picture of the UK.

And really, if her desires for entertainment revolve around going to the cinema, shopping and the odd bit of ice skating then she sounds pretty dull.

Not only do you not want to be here anymore, but the Island doesn't want you either love. Boat in the morning, yessir.

The population of Herefordshire is about twice the IOM, but it's also about four times the area. So it's population density is a bit over half of yours. If you take a 15-mile catchment area from Douglas you get in just about everyone. If you do the same from Ledbury it gets Hereford and Gt Malvern and works out at around 80K people. Sound familiar? It should. Funny that....

they've all been lifted from a site about Jersey!

So while Jersey seems to have similar problems then the IOM can ignore theirs. Well, that's all right then!

Then he types: "ASBO's have been suggested".

Don't knock ASBO's - it's the only qualification some of these kids are going to get!

Don't blame the kids for a lack of facilities. In any event everyone can vote with their feet and that's what they do. As to drug siezures in Ledbury at least it looks like the boys in blue there actually know what they're doing.....

Archived