Ballahutchin Closed After Crash

DjDan

what is more likely is that i know how to drive and can use traffic signals and don't need double white lines in the middle of the road to tell me it is unsafe to overtake going into a blind dip.

Yes, no doubt you're a very capable driver, but I fail to see the relevance of your motoring skills. I can think of a fairly recent incident at this very spot where a driver lost their life without exceeding a speed limit or crossing a solid line. Now if to perform that particular manoeuvre had involved an infringement of the law I bet this incident wouldn't have occurred. In addition, your assessment of what constitutes a blind dip is ridiculous to say the least - it relies totally on your local knowledge of this road. A stranger to the road would not appreciate the danger, what with the dip being blind and that, hence the description blind. And that is why we have solid lines, it's a safety thing you see. (as are speed restrictions)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what is more likely is that i know how to drive and can use traffic signals and don't need double white lines in the middle of the road to tell me it is unsafe to overtake going into a blind dip.

Yes, no doubt you're a very capable driver, but I fail to see the relevance of your motoring skills.

Agreed.

You can be the best driver... but how will you stop a bad driver from crashing in to you?

Yes, no doubt you're a very capable driver, but I fail to see the relevance of your motoring skills. I can think of a fairly recent incident at this very spot where a driver lost their life without exceeding a speed limit or crossing a solid line. Now if to perform that particular manoeuvre had involved an infringement of the law I bet this incident wouldn't have occurred.

Is this the same incident where the driver was doing 80mph less than a 100yards from a 30mph zone?

the only way he didin't infringe the law was because he crashed, no doubt he would have hit the 30mph zone still well over the limit, but we've been through this before.

And you see no problems at the Groves Rd. junction.

I agree that piece of work is an abomination and an accident waiting to happen (assuming it hasn't already). Sure if everyone drives flawlessly there would be no problem. Unfortunately humans make mistakes, and making a sensible junction into one that requires more observation & care than previously was the case is likely to result in more mistakes. That's not to say it's difficult by any means, but it is worse than before.

Is that possible, mr troll?
Yes, at least metaphorically. Perhaps you suffer from mechanically propelled selective vision?

Perfectly possible physically too. Just probably wouldn't get you very far. :)

your assessment of what constitutes a blind dip is ridiculous to say the least - it relies totally on your local knowledge of this road. A stranger to the road would not appreciate the danger, what with the dip being blind and that, hence the description blind.

I disagree. A blind dip is normally a 'feature' of a stretch of road which is reasonably apparent as, aside from anything else, you would normally be able to observe things such as the road (and hedges etc) suddenly appearing narrower and further away where the opposite side of the dip is.

To illustrate with an somewhat over-simplified 'diagram', the effect of looking down a road with a blind dip would be something like picture A, as opposed to the same road without the dip which would appear more like picture B

Please excuse the fisher price illustrations.

I think the description 'blind' refers more to the fact that one is 'blind' to any vehicles which may be hidden in the dip until you/they reach the edge of it, or thereabouts.

Aside from that, I quite agree that it's sensible to have double white lines in such areas to attempt to deter stupidity, or act as a reminder that it's a dangerous area to overtake. Of course a sensible driver wouldn't do so anyway, so there's no disadvantage to them in adding the lines surely?

post-125-1198107059_thumb.jpg

Lots of speculation - but why don't we wait for the facts? It seems it was a 4 x 4 vs. motorbike collision, but quite WHERE on the Ballahutchin is unclear, as are the circumstances.

One thing that's likely is that the DoT will have a good excuse now for a knee-jerk reaction, and probably use this to extend the speed limit further out of town.

Aside from that, I quite agree that it's sensible to have double white lines in such areas to attempt to deter stupidity, or act as a reminder that it's a dangerous area to overtake. Of course a sensible driver wouldn't do so anyway, so there's no disadvantage to them in adding the lines surely?

But the first reply in this thread was to have double whites all the way along the Ballahutchin, not just to cover the blind dip (which, if the driver has actually been paying attention would not be blind as they will have seen the oncoming vehicle before the dip).

Remind me - does the blind dip coincide with the road/track entrance on the right as you go towards Glen Vine? If so, then a no overtaking section just for that particular bit could be warranted, possibly.

But the first reply in this thread was to have double whites all the way along the Ballahutchin, not just to cover the blind dip (which, if the driver has actually been paying attention would not be blind as they will have seen the oncoming vehicle before the dip).

Remind me - does the blind dip coincide with the road/track entrance on the right as you go towards Glen Vine? If so, then a no overtaking section just for that particular bit could be warranted, possibly.

Not arguing any of that fella, just was making a point about what constitutes a blind dip in terms of visibility of the 'contents' of one and the presence of a dip in the road itself.

Very sad though. Thoughts to the lad's family & friends. :(

I was out working last night and so I'd heard about this incident - and the fact that a fatality had resulted from it - before I came home.

I was, therefore, disappointed to find that the usual suspects were already engaged in the usual debate - with no real knowledge of what had happened - by the time I arrived home.

None of us know what happened. None of us know whether or not the people, the roads, the conditions or whatever were to blame. All we know, so far, is that a young life has been tragically lost.

Just for once, could we show a little respect and not use this as an excuse to parade all the customary motoring fetishes.

If we want to discuss those things, let's start another thread.

Agreed & apologies if that included me - I certainly wasn't speculating at all about any of the circumstances surrounding this tragedy, just discussing road stuff in general.

But I agree (especially in light of the fact it was a fatal accident) that sort of thing would be better elsewhere.

Archived