Religious Outrage!

bluemonday

In todays Times:

From The Times December 21, 2007

Christians protest as Doctor Who is portrayed as ‘messiah’ - Adam Sherwin

The BBC has provoked controversy over a Christmas Day Doctor Who special that uses religious imagery to depict the Time Lord as a “messiah”.

Voyage of the Damned, starring Kylie Minogue, is expected to be the holiday viewing highlight.

However, Christian groups expressed concern that the imagery employed was inappropriate for a BBC One Christmas evening show.

The Doctor (David Tennant) must save a group of passengers after the Titanic, now a futuristic space vessel, is holed by a meteorite storm.

He convinces the despairing survivors to believe in his powers after ascending through the ship’s decks, carried by a pair of robotic angels. Russell T. Davies, the writer and executive producer of the revived series, said: “The series lends itself to religious iconography because the Doctor is a proper saviour. He saves the world through the power of his mind and his passion.”

Stephen Green, of the evangelical group Christian Voice, said: “The Doctor would have to do a lot more than the usual prancing around to be a messiah. He has to save people from their sins.” But Malcolm Brown, director of mission and public affairs for the Church of England, said: “Science fiction at its best helps to illuminate eternal themes, and that’s something the Church can happily work with.”

FFS! It's a make believe kids programme - good job there's no stuffed toys involved.

A couple of christmasses ago my son (then 8) worked out that father christmas didn't exist and was just "make believe". He had already worked out that the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, the hop tu naa witches and baby jesus were equally all just imaginary tales.

Boy, that reminds me, when is the Christmas episode on? I searched for it on Sky A-Z but it didn't seem to be there. I hate the A-Z, it needs a filter so you can type in a few letters of what your looking for. The trailer on the last episode looked so very funny, just his face and the way he said "what". Was uber good.

Pizza Hut are the christians next target. Apparently this xmas they've been selling pizzas that are deep pan, crisp and even.

Ooh I have heard that so many times this Xmas, the first from Alex Brindley on MR. I actually did LOL, first time at any of his attempts at humour. But, to be fair, although it was audible, it was more of a snort than a guffaw.

Archived