[BBC News] Nineteen drink-drive arrests made

Newsbot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That remains to be seen, given that they have been arrested on suspicion, not charged.

Unfortunately I don't doubt there will be quite a few convictions. What a shame it seems so common, seeing as the ones getting arrested are probably on the tip of the iceberg (aside from the fact they've not been charged yet of course).

My thougts exactly there. There must be facken loads of so called drunk drivers knocking about. But mosyt gets away with it.

Seriously though, how many drunk drivers have killed someone on the roads over the past 20 years?

I remember a taxi driver who never actually got done because he was taken to nobles and in them days they wouldnt let the police in for tests and that. They reckon he must have been pissed cos he was never a lot sober since he was a teenager. Still, a while later he got done for DD, and banned quite a few years. Out and about now driving himself to the pub most days, which is worrying.

it not what you have in the pub buit what youve had the other 20 hours of the day.

Then there was another where a young lad got knocked over raspberried big time on his motorbike but the proved drunk drivers lawyers sed there was a dodgy manhole cove or something in the rain that caused the severe injuries not the drunkenness of the driver. Can you believe it? I think the kid and his parents got the rest of their lives ruined big time.

Point being is this. The drunks got off mostly.

All this attempts at trying to stop drunk driving is a farce. Blah blah blah in your ear from the mind police on the radio

For a start stop selling alcohol 24 hors a facken day. What the fack do you expect.

Think about it before giving me some of your grief.

That remains to be seen, given that they have been arrested on suspicion, not charged.

Unfortunately I don't doubt there will be quite a few convictions. What a shame it seems so common, seeing as the ones getting arrested are probably on the tip of the iceberg (aside from the fact they've not been charged yet of course).

I think the reporting skillz of the bbc tend to give that impression. I heard Derek Flint on the radio on Wednesday talking about this, in the report it was said that 52 drivers had been breathalysed and 19 of those were arrested. I forget how many it said were stopped but it was in the few hundreds. The police are clearly cracking down on it, it's a shame so many people are (allegedly) not taking heed of the advice or, indeed, the law.

52 that needed to be breathalysed out of a 'few hundreds' is a pretty shocking statistic in this day and age. If it were 300 tested that's 1 in 6, 400 tested then 1 in 8.

Shows that people aren't learning or view the chance of getting caught as insignificant. Perhaps if they did far more of these checks ALL year they would get the message across better.

Hi

Would be interesting to see a poll on here to see how many of the forum have NEVER drunk alcohol and driven. I don't want to know about the rights and wrongs of the situation, just a simple Yes or No (That includes the sneeky morning after tactic that the police now include). No I do not advocate it, my answer is simple - drink no drive - end of. Oh and no cherry picking.

On the otherhand it would not get much of a response because everyone here seem to be pure white concerning almost everything.

Thanks

Do the Navan Walk

Most of them will have been charged straight away and will be appearing in court during January. Also a few may have blown under the limit on the "proper" machine at Police HQ. The handheld devices are only used as an indication - the Court reading is the one taken at Police HQ. There may be a few waiting for blood tests which are used if a low reading or the machine goes faulty.

The 52 breathalysed will probably include those involved in Road Traffic Accidents as it is usually done as a matter of course.

Hi

Would be interesting to see a poll on here to see how many of the forum have NEVER drunk alcohol and driven. I don't want to know about the rights and wrongs of the situation, just a simple Yes or No (That includes the sneeky morning after tactic that the police now include). No I do not advocate it, my answer is simple - drink no drive - end of. Oh and no cherry picking.

On the otherhand it would not get much of a response because everyone here seem to be pure white concerning almost everything.

Thanks

Do the Navan Walk

I do it quite frequently, once I crashed my car quite badly, actually it blew up seconds after getting out of it. I then realised that if I went "Right, R2, O, R1, L2, Down, L1, R1" all the cars would fly. I hijacked a pick up truck and flew off into the sunset where the police couldn't touch me. I then spawned a Love First Limo by presing "R2,Up,L2,Left,Left,R1,L1,Circle,Right" and had a wonderful night with a tall leggy blonde.

Ah the joys of cheat codes.

Stav.

Sorry but nothing beats the tank cheat on TOCA - it drives like a bag of shite but if you do a handbrake turn and then head the wrong way along the track to the last corner, you can just (literally) blow the opposition off the track before resuming (and winning natch) the race.

:)

Archived