[BBC News] Nineteen drink-drive arrests made

Newsbot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I have never done is drink drive. When i was growing up and becoming of driving age it was when drink driving was becoming really anti social, and well publicised as such. If I go to the pub for a few beers, the car stays at home.

I remember going to a work colleagues leaving do. I had the car as normal at work, as our office (and the pub the leaving do was in) was about 30miles from home. I had decided just to have soft drinks to say goodbye be sociable, and drive home.

But what annoyed me on this occasion was the amount of people that felt the need to question why I wasn't drinking. And telling me, could I not just have one etc etc. Could I not just stay at a colleagues house so I "could have a drink". This got tiresome after a while and I left early. If they had just let me be I would have been fairly happy with my decision not to drink, but this being the constant topic of conversation just got on my nerves in the end.

Although these same people would be the ones up in arms if any of their family members were injured or killed by a drink driver.

The thing is, people who drink are rattled by people who don't drink - it's the nature of drug addiction. It is far easier for them to justify their drinking to themselves as normal if everyone is drinking. Less soul searching that way you see.

I actually do like a drink, but never when I have the car with me. And if I was drinking in the pub and there was a driver in my company, I certainly wouldn't be trying to force them to have alcohol!

Archived