One Aspect Of The Black Pages

shamus

The Manxman Black pages is shut down but one thing, regardless of the Murray stuff which has resulted in all the controversey about Roly Drower, is this.....

Manxman Black pages actually took on the Data Protection Registry Dept because the legislation was so draconian it actually created a situation where animal sanctuaries had to pay a fee for putting on computer files the data base of lost and found animals and who reported them lost or found. These charities were providing a public service for Christs sake!

The Data protection people went ape over this but fortunately The Council of Ministers introduced new regulations to exempt the animal charities from such nonsense.

So before everyone engages in a feeding frenzy, over the law about this and the law about that, I think we should all remember some of the good that Manxman Black pages did to assist in a change of the law on data protection so people who wish to help a dog owner who has lost his best pal can now do so without the unpaid helpers and their donators being taxed for doing so.

Erm, are animal shelter exempt from paying fees? Or exempt from the Data Protection Act?

I hope it is the former.

They are not exempt from the act. But thankfully they do not have to pay to be registered.

And it was Roly Drower that spearheaded the revised rules to make it so.

However, the people in the data protection dept will no doubt argue against that if any of them are members in here.

To be fair though, the new DP Registrar is a breath of fresh air to the numerous charities on the IOM.

I think that's a fair ruling tbh. Charities should be registered but should not have to pay the fee.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the annual fee is being dropped for organisations that have been registered for a certain number of years anyway.

Archived