Prison Me No Way

manxy

I look at this and I'm still flabbergasted as to why this money is given to them, whilst I see pensioners struggling to make ends meet and deciding whether to put the heating on or risk going to jail for being unable to pay it.

Prisoners are there because they have done something wrong or have made a big mistake in life! They are human after all (well some of them are at least) and they are not all murderers, rapists, peadoeophiles etc.

FFS it is Christmas time, live and let live.

Last 10

One day these unfortunates will be back on our streets. Their treatment in prison will to some extent direct their actions once they get outside it. For this selfish reason, and also out of common humanity, I should prefer that they be treated reasonably while inside. And especially at the season of goodwill.

Sebrof

Well if the prisoners getting the money are towing the line and are actually wanting to better themselves then why not give them a bit of christmas cheer.

Prison should be a way of turning them into a better person, lets hope the new prison in jurby will be breaking the habit of constant offending.

A lot of the people who get locked up are mainly people who have made the wrong choices in life and need guidance.

If we are to make the island a better place to live then educating people about prison is a good thing.

I think troublesome kids should be shown what a prison cell is like, lock them in a cell for 10 mins to see if they realise its not cool to be a criminal.

Well if the prisoners getting the money are towing the line and are actually wanting to better themselves then why not give them a bit of christmas cheer.

Prison should be a way of turning them into a better person, lets hope the new prison in jurby will be breaking the habit of constant offending.

A lot of the people who get locked up are mainly people who have made the wrong choices in life and need guidance.

If we are to make the island a better place to live then educating people about prison is a good thing.

I think troublesome kids should be shown what a prison cell is like, lock them in a cell for 10 mins to see if they realise its not cool to be a criminal.

Hear Hear!

For my sins i had occasion to work offfshore on a rig. They are effectivly volunteer prisons where you are treated ever so well and are paid handsomly for your work but your "liberty" is removed.

And yet 2 weeks is the industry norm for a period aboard, any further being deemed too long in isolation from the home.

I reckon its about right so how do people face a sentence of say 3 years in a prison cell? God knows, the thought horrifies me .

The deprevation of liberty is the punishment, a severe one at that so to further punish prisoners, whether by disallowing basic pleasures such as smoking, or sticking pins in them or making them hop on one leg all day, seems an unnecessary cruelty.

Really, untill you experience the loss of your liberty you cannot really judge its severity.

Archived