Middle River Charges

Sparky

Went to the Civic Amenity site at Middle River today to dispose of stuff that had been collecting in the garage and was handed a nice little leaflet, in which Tel's Ltd had the following to say.

"Tel's Limited, operators of the Middle River Civic Amenity Site in Douglas has with sincere regret to advise all users of the Site, that as from the 11th January 2008, they will have to charge each person who wants to use this site, £10 per visit per car or £25 per van. This charge is a direct result of a decision, taken by Douglas Corporation, and Braddan and Onchan Commissioners, that they will not be paying Tel's Limited the monthly management fee from the 11th January 2008. We have been informed by these three Local Authorities that if we continue to operate the Site after that date, we must do son on a voluntary basis. We certainly don't want to have to charge all our customers for this service nor do we want to close the Site, but equally we cannot afford to provide a free service..."

Now forgive me if I am wrong, do you think that this is going to:

a) Encourage more people to use the site' or;

b) Encourage people to get rid of their rubbish by other means?

I thought that when this site was built that all 3 local authorities put an additional charge into the rates to cover the running of the amenity site. Can anyone remember if this is correct or not?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word is that the site is to be taken over by Central Gov, They have been trying to wheedle out of the contract they have with Tells and have dug a huge hole for themselves which will end in litigation.

This appears to be another attempt to force the operator out without honouring their contract.

Looking like litigation costs and judgement will exceed any compensation they could have negotiated.

Looks like the one at St Johns will be a bit busier then

I was also told that I couldn't leave anything for recycling in those big garages they have (2 DVD Players) as the units cannot be used for Health & Safety reasons, I was also told that they couldn't use the weighbridge for the same reasons. All a bit crackers to me.

The Civic Amenity Site

The Civic Amenity Site is operated by a Joint Committee consisting of Braddan Parish Commissioners, Douglas Corporation and Onchan District Commissioners. This allows the residents of the three areas to utilise the site free of charge for the disposal of garden waste, old furniture and large bulky items which cannot be accommodated within your wheelie bin.

Temporary - Winter Opening Hours 9am to 3pm -7 days per week. Please see site notice board for Spring/Summer/Autumn Opening Hours.

http://www.braddan.gov.im/news.aspx?NewsID=87

Anyway, good moderation :)

Not before I took a copy, for posterity like. ;)

Back on thread, this matter was mentioned on Mannin Line today. Councillor David Christian had this to say

20071223_David_Chrisyian_Mannin_Line_Amenity_Site.mp3

If you can't be bothered to listen to it, basically he is saying that the Douglas Corporation are well aware of the situation and the matter is now in the hands of lawyers.

Most folk would agree that it is scandalous that there is little opportunity to do a bit of salvaging now as once it's in the skip it stays there until incineration.

So at the moment we give free fuel to the energy from waste plant and they sell electricty back to us at the dearest rate in Europe

Now we are to be charged for the priviledge of donating free fuel, bollox, enough is enough

Dissent, rebel, man the barricades, c'mon boys are you going to let these tossers win or are we going to get even ?

This country is being run by Mc Civil servants & Mc Mhks

These invertebrates would fold up in minutes if faced by determined opposition

It's our chance or Paris in 68, Saigon in 75 Berlin in 1990

Middle River in 2008 could be our tipping point

Do you want to tip on your feet or pay on your knees ?

So at the moment we give free fuel to the energy from waste plant and they sell electricty back to us at the dearest rate in Europe

Now we are to be charged for the priviledge of donating free fuel, bollox, enough is enough

If you think that the thousands of litres of fuel oil that is burnt there everyday are free!!! Your taxes paid for the place to get built, your paying to dump rubbish to help keep it burning and paying for the Electricity it produces, it doesn't sound free to me!!!

Archived