Fire Crews Working Over Christmas

nipper

Manx Radio Report

For some reason Manx Radio have considered this a newsworthy item. Whereas it cannot be denied that the Fire Crews do a wonderful job and deserve credit whenever it is due, is this reallynews?

The report does acknowledge other emergency services, but let's have a direct acknowledgement of them too. The police, ambulance, nurses, all the guys on call from the MEA, Water Authority, etc. etc.

Actually, I feel this is such a non news item it is almost worthy of being reported by the BBC reporters on the Isle of Man, but nahh, even they could not stoop to this level.

Sos to be negative at this time of goodwill and all that, but I just thought a little grumpiness never goes amiss now and then.

Here at the hospital this morning it's business as usual with patients to look after, test to be run, x-rays, meals cooked, cleaning done.....

shame the canteen shuts at 12:30.

Firemen? Sat on their fat arses eating turkey.

I'm off to set fire to something.

Be fair there is little newsworthy going on today.

Motorway service stations selling petrol, film at 11.

"Motorists are able to pull up to a pump, fill their tanks with fuel, and then pay at a kiosk." said a spokesman earlier.

"In addition, they are able to purchase items such as crisps, chocolate bars, and charcoal briquettes. Apparently basic motoring supplies, such as bulbs, oil and screenwash are sometimes available."

Here at the hospital this morning it's business as usual with patients to look after, test to be run, x-rays, meals cooked, cleaning done.....

shame the canteen shuts at 12:30.

Firemen? Sat on their fat arses eating turkey.

I'm off to set fire to something.

[/quote

I am not too sure what your contribution to humanity is at the hospital is, however, I admire anybody who chooses to work on Christmas Day in the public services. It is unfare that you refer to Firemen as being on their 'fat arses eating turkey', these personel are vital to our community and last year I just happened to see two fireman go into a blazing house to recover a woman. The spectacle was incredible and the men were pure heroes as it was clearly obvious that they put their own lives at risk.

Whoever you are 'Joe Public'; please do not make such sweeping statements against the Fire Brigade, they have chosen to put themselves in a position where their lives are at risk every day. If it is such a cushy number, can you explain to everybody why you don't submit an appilication form for such a position?

'fat arses eating turkey'

That is unfair i agree, it should only read 'on their arses eating turkey'. These guys are all fit as fiddles. Probably because they are able to spend most of each working day in the gym or maintaining their equipment....oooer

Truth of the matter is that on xmas day the main goverment (in particular emergency services) workers that will be actually working and not just turning up will be -

1. Nurses and Doctors at Nobles dealing with inpatients etc

2. Prison officers dealing with inmates

2. Ambulance staff dealing with standard day to day calls of collapses etc

3. Police officers dealing with occaisional domestics and reports of drink drivers

4. Fire officers 'maybe' dealing with the occaisional alarm.

Yeah i know the fire officers are on standby for the big one but hey so are all the others, their role is just viewed as being a bit more dramatic. Personally i dont think it really is.

Heres a thought, why cant fire officers be sworn in as special police constables and used on the streets. That way if a fire call comes in they can drive straight there and meet the fire engine. That way all the spare time we are paying for is used to good effect.

'fat arses eating turkey'

That is unfair i agree, it should only read 'on their arses eating turkey'. These guys are all fit as fiddles. Probably because they are able to spend most of each working day in the gym or maintaining their equipment....oooer

Truth of the matter is that on xmas day the main goverment (in particular emergency services) workers that will be actually working and not just turning up will be -

1. Nurses and Doctors at Nobles dealing with inpatients etc

2. Prison officers dealing with inmates

2. Ambulance staff dealing with standard day to day calls of collapses etc

3. Police officers dealing with occaisional domestics and reports of drink drivers

4. Fire officers 'maybe' dealing with the occaisional alarm.

Yeah i know the fire officers are on standby for the big one but hey so are all the others, their role is just viewed as being a bit more dramatic. Personally i dont think it really is.

Heres a thought, why cant fire officers be sworn in as special police constables and used on the streets. That way if a fire call comes in they can drive straight there and meet the fire engine. That way all the spare time we are paying for is used to good effect.

Put down the drink and switch off the PC.

From my understanding, alot of fire officers do it for free?

Do what for free, eat Turkey !

Don't tell me were paying for that as well.

And as far as i am aware no firemen, permanent or retained do it for free.

No drink here Jonny

I prefer Jonathon if you cant spell the latter right, Johnny.

I was under the impression some of them did it for free, like specials, well getting paid next to nothing is for free.

Sorry Johnathon. I was over familiar, it will not happen again.

Firefighters pay inc retained

Try the link.

It seems a retained firefighter gets about £21 per hour. I am told they also get an annual retainer of about £6000, although the link suggests 3K. Fire fighters pay is notoriously hard to pin down as they get also sorts of extras for certains skills and such.

£20 an hour is not to be sniffed at, unless of course you are in the bracket where this is small change.

Sorry Johnathon. I was over familiar, it will not happen again.

Firefighters pay inc retained

Try the link.

It seems a retained firefighter gets about £21 per hour. I am told they also get an annual retainer of about £6000, although the link suggests 3K. Fire fighters pay is notoriously hard to pin down as they get also sorts of extras for certains skills and such.

£20 an hour is not to be sniffed at, unless of course you are in the bracket where this is small change.

Its harder to wind me up than that, JONATHON!!!!

Ok Jimmy!

I thought we had part time fire fighters over here?

To be fair a lot of the time firemen aren't "in action" they're training or doing drills

I'm not saying they're 100% busy ALL the time but especially on xmas day I don't think it's unreasonable to expect any emergency services personnel to be on a relaxed day until needed.

What about chefs cooking turkey for fat firemen / police / ambulance drivers etc ?

Its not all glamour & Gordon Ramsey

And priests, theyr'e chokka this time of year

And the queen, barely time to digest the roast swan and she's up there bringing joy to her loyal subjects

Unsung heros the lot of them

Archived